Help with Blair combos

After a lot of work last year revamping and overhauling my girls’ list, it’s now time for the boys to have a turn. I’ve been working on compiling a new master favorites list, adding new interests and removing old ones that no longer spark joy, and pairing names up with each other to make large lists of combos that catch my eye or ear for each first name that I like. Now it’s time to begin the process of paring those down and choosing “the” combo for each name.

First up to give it a go is one of my favorite boy names, [name_u]Blair[/name_u]. Honestly, I love pretty much everything about it. Its unique sound, soft but sturdy. Its to-the-point look. It’s familiar but uncommon, especially on boys at this point (I do like it for girls too but prefer it on boys for myself). I know Berries over in the UK will probably associate it with [name_u]Tony[/name_u] [name_u]Blair[/name_u] but he’s not really relevant to us in [name_u]America[/name_u] so I’m not bothered by that association. Overall it’s a really laidback and steadfastly handsome name to me!

I’ve included my current top [name_u]Blair[/name_u] combos below, along with some reasons why I like them or why they give me pause. Any input on these combos is appreciated. Which ones are your favorites? Which don’t work as much? Why or why not? Rank them from fave to least fave, make a love/like/lose list, describe the combo with emojis or words, etc.!

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] <-I love how this combo sounds. I like how they both end in r but [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is such a long name that the r sounds are sufficiently spaced apart… it’s really pleasing to me somehow. [name_f]My[/name_f] pause for this name is that [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is such a common middle name for boys and I usually gravitate towards more distinct names, but overall I can’t deny that this combo is drop-dead handsome.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m] <-This was my chosen [name_u]Blair[/name_u] combo when I was playing around with boy combos a couple years ago. I’m from [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f] so old-school French/Cajun names like [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m] (with emphasis on the 2nd syllable) are right up my alley. I liked how [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m] has a distinguished, sophisticated air that balances the more playful and modern [name_u]Blair[/name_u]. At one point I thought I would never deviate from this combo but now I’m second guessing if it’s actually the best one for me.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Fernand[/name_m] <-Again with [name_m]Fernand[/name_m] I really like the old-school French/Cajun names. I am pronouncing [name_m]Fernand[/name_m] to rhyme with the word “and”, not “fer-NAHND”, if that makes sense. I really love how this name is said out loud and it has this pleasing near-rhyme and I like how your tongue dances in your mouth when you say this combo (I’m a little bit of a phonetics geek…) Not sure if this combo has the sparkle of :sparkles:the one :sparkles: though.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] <-Despite its popularity I will always love [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]. It’s a steadfast, laidback, solid, cool and good-guy name. Visually this may actually be my favorite combo but I wonder two things: is the transition between names awkward to say (coming out as “blair risaac”?) and is [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] too “boring” for me to pair with one of my favorite boy names? I really do tend to prefer more distinct names.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Montana[/name_u] <-Montana is a tricky name because it’s also one of my favorite boy names but almost any combo with [name_u]Montana[/name_u] as a middle ends up sounding like a movie character or something. I think [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Montana[/name_u] balances it out, though. It sounds cool, but not too cool that it verges on ridiculous. Again the sounds of these names complement each other and it’s fun to say. And even though both names are unisex, I get a distinctly masculine and handsome vibe from this combo. I do wonder if I should keep [name_u]Blair[/name_u] with a more traditional middle, though.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] <-So, this combo royally flopped in the Quick [name_u]Poll[/name_u] thread (not a single vote omg) but I decided to keep him in the running anyway because I really like it. I am pronouncing [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] as “SAY-bee-en”. I like that [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] has this unfamiliar, more mysterious vibe and is modern but grown-up. I dunno, I just think the vibes of both names complement well but maybe not since it got zero votes in my initial poll? Is [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] just too unfamiliar?

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] <-Shepherd is undeniably handsome and pairs so, so well with so many names but I dunno… I’m starting to get a little bit bored of [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]. I think that you could absolutely make a case that this may be the “best” combo for [name_u]Blair[/name_u] but do I really want to pair a name I’m starting to get bored of with one of my favorites? [name_u]Or[/name_u] do I need to do some searching and re-discover my love for [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and give this combo a closer look?

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] <-I normally don’t like 1-1 syllable combos but I actually find myself really drawn to this one. Again, I just think these two names complement each other really well. That n-sound in [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] is closer to the front of the mouth and in this combo you don’t get any other sounds in that area until the end of [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] which creates this nice finality and cohesiveness. I’m interested to hear other opinions about the flow of this combo.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] <-Blair is a cool name and all of the middles I have paired with it are pretty cool too, but of course [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] is the ultimate “cool” name here lol. I go back and forth with thinking this name sounds really awesome and with thinking it sounds like three words back-to-back (“blair, wolf, gang”).

Again, any input you have on any combo is appreciated, thanks in advance!~

1 Like

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] is a very sweet name. I agree, I think [name_u]Blair[/name_u] is underused and [name_u]Blair[/name_u], to me is a laid back, gentle character.
I know you’re not bothered with the [name_u]Tony[/name_u] [name_u]Blair[/name_u] association anyway, but if it helps, he was not my first thought when I saw the name [name_u]Blair[/name_u].

[name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts on you combos;

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] - I love the flow of this name. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] usually isn’t my cup of tea, but it sounds like it’s meant to be the middle spot for [name_u]Blair[/name_u].

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m] - I don’t really have any strong feelings on this one? It’s a nice name and I think it balances well with [name_u]Blair[/name_u]. Personally, I prefer the flow of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. But, I think if you love it, keep it on your list.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Fernand[/name_m] - This one is really nice to say together. I did misread it as [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] initially though, so it might come across the odd mispronunciation. But this is an easy correction.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] - This ones probably my least favourite. I like [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], but not in the middle with [name_u]Blair[/name_u]. I think it’s a little awkward to say.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Montana[/name_u] - I think this is a nice combo. [name_u]Montana[/name_u] isn’t to my personal taste, but I do think it flows nicely with [name_u]Blair[/name_u].

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] - I haven’t heard of this name before, but I really like this in the middle for [name_u]Blair[/name_u]. I think the repeated ‘b’ sound and the 1, 3 syllable makes the name flow nicely. I also really like the look of this written down. It’s an unexpected, unfamiliar middle and I think this gives it a bit more of a modern, cool feel compared to the more classic names like [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. This is my favourite one.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] - I’ve just started to love the name [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]. I think it is brilliant as the middle spot for most names. However, I do think it’s gained popularity very quickly, and will likely fall in popularity very quickly too. I think if you’re already getting bored of it, it’s probably not the one.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] - I usually don’t like 1-1 syllable combos either. However, this one actually works quite well. That being said, I feel as though this name is familiar and I can’t quite work out why, or where from. I’m not sure how I feel about this one?

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] - [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] is the ultimate cool name. I do think this combo is a little wordy for me, but I don’t think it’s unusable because of this.

Overall I think [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] or [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Sabien[/name_m].

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] is very cool!

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is an excellent combo! I think [name_u]Blair[/name_u] adds spark to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] lends grandeur to [name_u]Blair[/name_u] so that they fit really well together.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m] - ooh, this is very cool - it’s slightly preppy but still approachable, though I would say it has something a bit more polished and stately about it?

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Fernand[/name_m] - I wasn’t sure when I first saw it, but you’re right, this is such a pleasing name to say out loud. However, I know it’s probably a me thing, but I keep wanting to add another syllable when I look at it or say it (Blair [name_m]Fernando[/name_m] / [name_u]Blair[/name_u] Ferdinand)

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] - love the bright, happy vibe of this, while also being very cool, collected and sleek. I like how it sounds too

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Montana[/name_u] - it’s kind of cool and breezy, sporty and distinctive. I thought I wouldn’t like it when I glanced over the list, but it’s growing on me

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] - I don’t hate it, but these two don’t quite balance or fit together when I look at it or say them? Also, might just be a me problem, but it’s reminding me of a phrase - or something that’s said/thrown round sometimes (a [name_u]French[/name_u] phrase, tres bien, I think) and now I can’t unthink it :person_facepalming:

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] - it is very handsome and rugged and cool, but I don’t think it has the same qualities as your other choices - it feels like ‘a fabulous choice - on someone else’s list’

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] - this has a kind of magical, mystical vibe and sound, while also sounding kind of regal and sophisticated

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] - I’m going to leave this for others to comment on, basically because I don’t enjoy [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] or [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] and this reminds me of the name of a place - however those are all me problems

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Montana[/name_u] and [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] are my favourites I think.

I think [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] is my personal choice, but [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] and [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Montana[/name_u] feel more in line with your list?

Thanks so much @Hello1 and @Greyblue for your detailed responses! I really loved reading your opinions and it’s beginning to help me sort out my own. I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond :slight_smile: It’s really helpful because I’ll have this long list of combos that I’m staring at like “but I like them all…” and getting some second opinions really helps me bounce around ideas and narrow down my focus.

2 Likes

I think [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] and [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u] are both very handsome.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Sabien[/name_m], [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_u]Vaughn[/name_u], and [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] all caught my eye!

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] feel more traditional to me.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] and [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] feel the most bold and unexpected.

[name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and [name_u]Blair[/name_u] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] feel modern and almost trendy