Help with girls name- Marjorie vs Nora vs Rachel vs Margaret

See the results of this poll: Which name do you prefer?

Respondents: 25 (This poll is closed)

• Marjorie Olivia Moss: 10 (40%)
  • Nora Mabel Moss: 4 (16%)
  • Rachel Marie Moss: 3 (12%)
  • Margaret Rose Moss: 7 (28%)
  • Other - please comment!: 1 (4%)

I think [name]Rachel[/name] is my favourite out of them but personally I don’t really like this trend for bringing back old lady names.

For classic sounding names that aren’t too common I’d go more for something like,

[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Melissa[/name]

or something more like that

Can’t say I agree! We love all the names above.
[name]Tabitha[/name] is a thought though might suggest that one and add it to the list… [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Moss[/name]?
Thanks

[name]Rachel[/name] seems more trendy than classic to me, especially with the middle name [name]Marie[/name]. I do like this very much with [name]Moss[/name], though. I don’t personally care for [name]Marjorie[/name] - it seems stuffy instead of old lady cool. I really like [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Moss[/name], too, as long as you are good with alliteration - which it seems you are. [name]Margaret[/name] has so many great nickname options - [name]Maggie[/name], Megs, [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Marge[/name] - that I love!

About the suggestions, please do not name your daughter [name]Ivy[/name]. I do like the name, but [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Moss[/name] is terrible! My only other suggestion to you would be [name]Lydia[/name] - [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Moss[/name] or [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name] [name]Moss[/name].

[name]Marjorie[/name]!!!
I love [name]Marjorie[/name]! Please use [name]Marjorie[/name], it would delight me to my core! [name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] sounds wonderful!
I heard it some time ago on Private Practise and thought 'OMG they have to use [name]Marjorie[/name]! That is the most adorable, underused and undervalued name I have heard in a [name]LONG[/name] time!!"

[name]Rachel[/name] is a bit boring in my eyes, so I don’t care much for her. With [name]Marie[/name] being a ‘classic’ middle name, it makes for a rather boring combo… [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Nora[/name] would be lovely.
I’ve always loved [name]Nora[/name], especially for the [name]Ibsen[/name] character in 'A [name]Doll[/name]‘s House’ which is my favourite play ever! [name]Nora[/name] [name]Mabel[/name] sounds fabulous, [name]Mabel[/name] is also one of my favourites!
[name]Margaret[/name] is okay, but I prefer [name]Marjorie[/name] or [name]Nora[/name]… [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Rose[/name] I’m sure is a very common combination, [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] would make a nice surprise :slight_smile:

A baby [name]Marjorie[/name] would be awesome!!

Yay!! Someone else who loves [name]Marjorie[/name] for a girl!!! It’s always been one of my favourites…
We are few and far between. What do you think of the mn combination?
Thanks!

I like [name]Marjorie[/name] too, and I like the different vowel sounds with [name]Olivia[/name] as a middle name. Very pretty.

[name]Marjorie[/name] is so lovely, i just want to cuddle up next to her forever!

[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] makes for a nice surprise, [name]Olivia[/name] being so popular and [name]Marjorie[/name] being the complete opposite. Like you said, the lovers of [name]Marjorie[/name] are few :slight_smile:
My perfectionist self wants to pair [name]Marjorie[/name] with stylistically more similar name, just [name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Olive[/name] sounds slightly better to me…
Also, I consider [name]Olivia[/name] one of the ‘cute’ names that are very hip now ([name]Olivia[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Bailey[/name]) so choosing a name of equal popularity but less cute would also make a slight improvement to my ears while maintaining the surprise of the non-popular/superpopular combo… [name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Isabel[/name] for instance was the first I thought of…
Another thing is the syllables. [name]Olivia[/name] has four, [name]Marjorie[/name] has three. That makes 7 total which is quite a lot, especially when the distribution is almost equal. If it was 5/2 it would be less of a mouthful, like [name]Alexandria[/name] [name]Olive[/name]…

Also, I looked at a blog post some time ago here on nameberry where they mentioned [name]Marjorie[/name] as one of the names that would never come back. A lot of people protested so they actually changed that which says a lot in [name]Marjorie[/name]'s favour if you ask me!
Here’s a link –> https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/07/23/vintage-names-100-year-old-names-that-sound-new-again/
I all takes place in the comments :slight_smile:

Finally, a little thing to be aware of if you’re looking for alternative middles: Avoid names with a J or a J sound somewhere in the middle of the name since that makes it very hard to say properly…
I tried pairing [name]Marjorie[/name] with [name]Andrea[/name] and even that didn’t work! [name]Andrea[/name] turned into Anjea! [name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] for example would be bad…

I love [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Moss[/name] :slight_smile:

I love [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Moss[/name] :)[/quote]

What about [name]Margot[/name] [name]Moss[/name] she is elegant and feminine, and [name]Margot[/name] has a softer sound than [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Marjorie[/name].

I can’t stand [name]Nora[/name].

[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Anne[/name]-[name]Marie[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name] [name]Rose[/name]

[name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] is a pretty combo.
[name]Marjorie[/name] is different and fresh but I am not sold on it.
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Moss[/name] nn [name]Mia[/name], [name]Mimi[/name], [name]Mim[/name], [name]Lee[/name], [name]Mel[/name]

Mmm not keen on [name]Margot[/name] or any of the other suggestions. Really dislike [name]Amelia[/name]. Sorry :/! Think have to decide between [name]Marjorie[/name] ? and [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]… Suggestions for good mn combos for [name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Moss[/name] would be helpful,

I voted for [name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]. It is a great name. But have you considered the [name]Margery[/name] spelling?

[name]Margery[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Moss[/name]

I find that spelling more classic.

[name]Hi[/name] deidre, Want an “OR” sound not an “[name]AH[/name]” sound so this spelling seemed the best way to limit mispronounciation…!

What sort of qualities are you looking for in a mn?

From the names you have,
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Moss[/name] is great.

Not really sure… (That’s not especially helpful though…) I tend to like specific individual names rather than specific sounds/styles etc. Was just looking for something that flows with our surname. Thanks

Well, I would advise against another name starting with M for a mn with [name]Marjorie[/name] (but that’s kind of obvious). I’d also look for names that are at least 2 syllables, since a one-syllable name next to [name]Moss[/name] (eg [name]Rose[/name]) might sound a bit abrupt (lack flow). Since [name]Moss[/name] is already a lovely nature name, you might want to avoid other nature names.

And here are a few ideas…

[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Judith[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Jeannette[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]April[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Jenna[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Amy[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Susan[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Sarah[/name]

In total agreement!!! Though I do prefer the more medieval spelling of [name]Margery[/name], I would [name]LOVE[/name] to see this name on any child.

I like [name]Marjorie[/name], but I love [name]Margaret[/name] more. [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is very classic, but [name]Rose[/name] is extremely popular as a middle name. If you want something, a bit more original, I think [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] (your choice for [name]Marjorie[/name]) is perfect.

[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]: I love the sound of [name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Moss[/name], but [name]Olivia[/name] feels trendy to me.
[name]Nora[/name] [name]Mabel[/name]: I love both names, but with [name]Moss[/name], I think a longer middle name would sound great in the middle.
[name]Rachel[/name] [name]Marie[/name]: [name]Rachel[/name] is very popular and common (at least in the U.S.), and [name]Marie[/name] feels like a “filler” middle name to me.
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Rose[/name]: I love [name]Margaret[/name], but in the U.S., [name]Rose[/name] has become a “filler” middle name (it’s the #1 middle name here, but not sure about it in the U.K.). I love [name]Rose[/name] as a first name though, but with [name]Moss[/name], I think [name]Rose[/name] creates a botanical theme.

With your last name, I love [name]Marjorie[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] the most. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure about how popular these names are where you live, but you may also like:

[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name] (nn [name]Nora[/name])
[name]Eulalie[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]
[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Marion[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]

I just read your recent post, and here are some middles for [name]Marjorie[/name]:

[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Camille[/name] (a bit M heavy with your last name, though)
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Helen[/name]/[name]Helene[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Louise[/name] (not exactly an ss sound with [name]Louise[/name], but may seem S heavy with [name]Moss[/name]…)
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Adele[/name]

I think the flow of [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Rachel[/name] [name]Moss[/name] is fantastic!

I love a middle with two syllables, but if you’d like something longer:

[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Moss[/name]
[name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Moss[/name]

Avoiding short middles, names ending in ss sounds, color names (ie: [name]Marjorie[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Moss[/name]), and nature names was tricker than I thought it would be! A lot of names were eliminated, so I apologize for such a short list. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile: