Help with girls names - i'm not in love with any!

[name]Hi[/name] Ladies,

I am 28 wks now and we’ve remained a delivery surprise (not surprisingly!)

We have always thought it was a boy and have that name sorted…[name]Teddy[/name] [name]Valentine[/name]. But i am now considering girls names a bit more seriously (probably because at the last scan neither hubby or i saw boy bits - despite the looking - and thus now thinking that we could possibly be having a girl) Names should probably be considered.

Here is my criteria - it can’t start with O, F, E, M (preferably) and must have a formal name that is nicknamed - brothers are called [name]Oscar[/name] ([name]Oz[/name]/[name]Ozzy[/name]) and [name]Fintan[/name] ([name]Finn[/name]). Surname begins with C, has 2 syllables and ends in an ‘ane’ sound so we couldn’t have a name like [name]Romane[/name] for instance.

Here is the list so far:
[name]Delilah[/name] - [name]Didi[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] - [name]Clemmie[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name] - [name]Hattie[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name] - [name]Pippi[/name]/[name]Pip[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name] - [name]Romy[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] - [name]Penny[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name] - [name]Birdie[/name]/ [name]Bridie[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] - [name]Bea[/name] / [name]Bebe[/name]
[name]Martha[/name] - [name]Martie[/name]
[name]Juno[/name] - Juju (??)
[name]Edith[/name] - [name]Edie[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name] - [name]Mimi[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] - [name]Didi[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name] - Bitty

As you can see, there is no rhyme of rhythm to it - just names that i like, but can’t commit to.

Thanks in advance xx

[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]BEATRIX[/name] ** - fave

I have a baby [name]Edward[/name] who we call [name]Eddie[/name] and sometimes [name]Teddy[/name]–it’s a cute name for a little boy, I think. [name]Teddy[/name] [name]Valentine[/name] is adorable. Have you thought of [name]Theodora[/name] (nn [name]Teddy[/name]) for a girl? That could work too… unless this is a name you kind of want to save for a boy.
Ironically I have a [name]Beatrice[/name] so I do love the name [name]Beatrix[/name]. It is mentioned a lot on these boards but is rare in real life, I find. I think all your name choices are really cute. I love [name]Edith[/name] as well.

[name]Oscar[/name], [name]Fintan[/name], and:

[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]

Oh, forgot to add that I think [name]Edie[/name] is a great nn for [name]Edith[/name]. This name gives great options… [name]Edie[/name] seems really hip and [name]Edith[/name] is beautiful and literary…

[name]Oscar[/name], [name]Fintan[/name] and…

[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Theadora[/name]
[name]Heidi[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Elinor[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]

Thanks.
I have thought about [name]Teddy[/name] for a girl - not mad on it. And, although we plan for this to be our last, you never know…I think i would be sad if we had a girl now and a boy later and i had used [name]Teddy[/name] on the girl.

Its so difficult…

If i knew i was having 5 girls then that would be fine, there are lots of names i like. Its just choosing 1 and loving it that’s the issue xx

oohhh… these names are so pretty!!!

i like clementine, sadie and romilly the best-

i also thought of millicent, adelaide and bronte when i heard your other names…

all the best x

Thanks.
I have thought about [name]Teddy[/name] for a girl - not mad on it. And, although we plan for this to be our last, you never know…I think i would be sad if we had a girl now and a boy later and i had used [name]Teddy[/name] on the girl.

Its so difficult…

If i knew i was having 5 girls then that would be fine, there are lots of names i like. Its just choosing 1 and loving it that’s the issue xx[/quote]

I understand… I am expecting my third (a girl) shortly and can’t settle on a name either. Out of curiosity, would you use a full name for [name]Teddy[/name]? Also, I noticed [name]Pippa[/name] was one you were considering—would you use a more formal name for that or just [name]Pippa[/name]? I love it but am not sure what names (other than [name]Phillipa[/name]) are possible ‘full’ names for that one. It’s been batted around my household for awhile.

Good luck-

You have a great list and lovely taste in names! A good way to narrow down your list to ones you truly love is say them a few times, say them with your sons names, envision your baby, and try to see if any of the names seem right. It’s a good way to shuck off some names that are definitely not right. With [name]Oscar[/name]/[name]Oz[/name]/[name]Ozzy[/name] and [name]Fintan[/name]/[name]Finn[/name], a great name would have a traditional or classic feel with a fun nickname.

Deliliah - I assume you mean [name]Delilah[/name]? I like this name a lot. The biblical connection is a bit much for me, but if you can get passed that it’s a great name. Nicknames could be [name]Lila[/name], [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Dee[/name].
[name]Clementine[/name] - I think this is a bit too offbeat with [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Fintan[/name], and the nicknames aren’t great.
[name]Harriet[/name] - I love this name! [name]Hattie[/name] is the sweetest nn ever and it’s perfect with your set.
[name]Pippa[/name] - I prefer this as a nickname for [name]Philippa[/name], or even [name]Penelope[/name] or [name]Piper[/name]. It feels very diminutive to me as a full name.
[name]Romilly[/name] - great name! Maybe a tad too unusual with your sons, but it’s not bad. [name]Romy[/name] and [name]Roma[/name] are great nns.
[name]Penelope[/name] - love! [name]Penny[/name] is a great nn.
[name]Bridget[/name] - feels a bit plain with [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Fintan[/name].
[name]Beatrix[/name] - [name]Love[/name]! [name]Bea[/name], [name]Trix[/name], or [name]Trixie[/name] are all nice nicknames.
[name]Martha[/name] - a bit traditional, but I like it. [name]Mattie[/name] is a cute nickname, but would blend in with the Madelines and Madisons.
[name]Juno[/name] - very different style from your other names. [name]Juniper[/name] or just [name]June[/name] are nice alternatives.
[name]Edith[/name] - great name! A bit older than [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Fintan[/name] but I think it works. [name]Edie[/name] is very sweet.
[name]Hermione[/name] - I think this name lacks a good nickname unfortunately.
[name]Sadie[/name] - I’d go with [name]Sarah[/name] nn [name]Sadie[/name] if you really like this. [name]Sadie[/name] feels very childish to me.
[name]Tabitha[/name]- this is a nice, unusual but familiar name. I think [name]Tabby[/name], [name]Tibby[/name] or Bit are all cute nicknames and compliment your sons names well.

The best names on your list are [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name] and [name]Tabitha[/name]. Some other names you might like:

[name]Charlotte[/name] ([name]Charlie[/name], [name]Lottie[/name])
[name]Eliza[/name] ([name]Ellie[/name], [name]Liza[/name])
[name]Tamsin[/name] ([name]Tam[/name], [name]Tammy[/name])
[name]Cecilia[/name] (Cece, [name]Celia[/name], Ceeli)
[name]Lucille[/name] ([name]Lucy[/name])
[name]Elspeth[/name] ([name]Ellie[/name], [name]Elsie[/name])
[name]Josephine[/name] ([name]Jo[/name], [name]Joey[/name], [name]Josie[/name])
[name]Helena[/name] ([name]Leni[/name], [name]Nell[/name])
[name]Matilda[/name] ([name]Mattie[/name], [name]Tilly[/name])
[name]Eleanor[/name] ([name]Ellie[/name], [name]Leni[/name], [name]Nora[/name])
[name]Louisa[/name] ([name]Lou[/name], [name]Lulu[/name])
[name]Adele[/name]/[name]Adela[/name] ([name]Addy[/name], [name]Del[/name], [name]Della[/name])
[name]Lillian[/name] ([name]Lily[/name], [name]Lia[/name])
[name]Elsa[/name] ([name]Ellie[/name], [name]Elsie[/name])
[name]Evelyn[/name] ([name]Eve[/name], [name]Evie[/name])

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I love your list! Some names you might like with [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Fintan[/name]:

[name]Amelia[/name]/[name]Amelie[/name] (nn [name]Millie[/name]/[name]Mia[/name])
[name]Evangeline[/name] (nn [name]Eva[/name]/[name]Evie[/name])
[name]Aurora[/name] (nn [name]Rory[/name])
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Genna[/name])
[name]Jillian[/name] (nn [name]Jill[/name]/[name]Jilly[/name])
[name]Charlotte[/name] (nn [name]Charli[/name])
[name]Eleanor[/name] (nn [name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Ella[/name]/[name]Nelle[/name]/[name]Nora[/name])
[name]Elisabeth[/name] (nn [name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Lissa[/name]/[name]Beth[/name]/[name]Betsy[/name])
[name]Felicity[/name] (nn Fliss/[name]Flick[/name]/[name]Lissa[/name])
[name]Eloise[/name] (nn [name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Lola[/name])
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Penny[/name]/[name]Poppy[/name])
[name]Cordelia[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cordi[/name])
[name]Lucia[/name] (nn [name]Lulu[/name]) - this is my favourite name at the moment… maybe you’ll fall in love with it like I did!

my favorite on your list is [name]Sadie[/name]. also love [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Romilly[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], and [name]Penelope[/name]. you really cant go wrong from your list though!!! good luck (:

What freckles said and what irisrose listed.

The names I like are:
[name]Kate[/name]
Ahnee
[name]Tess[/name]
Good luck,
[name]Bella[/name]

There are some lovely names in the above posts including the original - it is very inspiring! I can really relate to not being “in love” with any, it will come, and sometimes so many just get eliminated for various reasons, you end up with just one. Another idea:
[name]Philippa[/name] ([name]Pippa[/name])

Thanks.

Its so difficult…

If i knew i was having 5 girls then that would be fine, there are lots of names i like. Its just choosing 1 and loving it that’s the issue xx[/quote]

I understand… I am expecting my third (a girl) shortly and can’t settle on a name either. Out of curiosity, would you use a full name for [name]Teddy[/name]? Also, I noticed [name]Pippa[/name] was one you were considering—would you use a more formal name for that or just [name]Pippa[/name]? I love it but am not sure what names (other than [name]Phillipa[/name]) are possible ‘full’ names for that one. It’s been batted around my household for awhile.

Good luck-[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name], sorry for late reply.

Yes, you spotted the anomalies to my anal names rules. You are right, [name]Pippa[/name] should have a more formal name, but i’m not keen on [name]Philippa[/name] (hubby is, i am not) [name]Pippa[/name] would be her formal name and [name]Pippi[/name]/[name]Pip[/name] probably a nickname. This is the reason why i am not 100% sold on it. So sorry, no help for you here.

[name]Teddy[/name] would be [name]Teddy[/name]. I would have [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Fintan[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name] / [name]Oz[/name], [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Ted[/name]. I realise that [name]Teddy[/name] is more nickname-y than [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Fintan[/name], but i love it and not sold on [name]Theodore[/name] or [name]Edward[/name] - think [name]Teddy[/name] goes better with O + F than the other ‘[name]Teddy[/name]’ alternatives. See. See how sure i am with [name]Teddy[/name]. [name]Just[/name] wish i had a couple of girls names i really, really loved!!

Quick thanks to all of you who took time to reply. Partic. Freckles with a mammoth reply! Its good to get objective feedback from berries such as yourselves.

All my dreams recently have involved a baby boy so maybe my search for the perfect girl name is a fruitless one!! :wink: xx