Help with His First Name

We”re in the home stretch of the pregnancy and name game, and have stared at our list of names so long we need unbiased opinions about the top three first names:

1. [name]Jude[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]
  2. [name]Joss[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]
  3. [name]Tate[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]

Personally, I like [name]Jude[/name] the most, but I don”t like that if he ever used his middle initial his name would sound like ”[name]Judy[/name] [name]Davis[/name].”

[name]Joss[/name] is currently a close second, but it can be a mouthful when said in a hurry. Too much hissing with all those S sounds.

[name]Tate[/name] is the sleeper name. It”s growing on us both, but I am partial to the J names. I like the J and D combination.

Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions.

I think [name]Jude[/name] has the most staying power and will be the strongest name as an adult. I can picture [name]Jude[/name] as a doctor, but not so much with [name]Tate[/name] and [name]Joss[/name].

[name]Jude[/name] is by far the best of the three. I can see what you mean about the [name]Jude[/name] E./ [name]Judy[/name] thing, though. Is his middle name set in stone?

I love the name [name]Tate[/name] and [name]Tate[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] is a great combo. I also really like [name]Jude[/name] [name]Emerson[/name].

Good luck!

1. [name]Jude[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]

2. [name]Joss[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]

3. [name]Tate[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]

4. [name]Jude[/name] is a cool name, I grant you that. But, the issue of “[name]Judy[/name] [name]Davis[/name]” with the [name]Jude[/name] E. [name]Davis[/name] problem does indeed deserve some consideration. However, the biggest issue for me is that the end D of [name]Jude[/name] runs into the beginning D of [name]Davis[/name]. Saying [name]Jude[/name] [name]Davis[/name] aloud, you may notice that it doesn’t sound at all good, and I’d eliminate it for this reason.

YOU [name]MAY[/name] ALSO CONSIDER: [name]Joel[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name] or [name]Julian[/name] [name]Emery[/name] [name]Davis[/name]

1. [name]Joss[/name] is very interesting, yet it seems incredibly effeminate to me due to the female singer, [name]Joss[/name] [name]Stone[/name]. She may not be that popular, but she exists, so it is an issue for me. I honestly don’t care for this one.

YOU [name]MAY[/name] ALSO CONSIDER: [name]Joel[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]

1. [name]Tate[/name] is a modern, fresh name that doesn’t have the trendy feel, which I like. [name]Tate[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name] sounds best to me, but [name]Tate[/name] [name]Davis[/name] sounds a bit harsh. I don’t know if it is that big of a deal, but it might be a problem.

YOU [name]MAY[/name] ALSO CONSIDER: [name]Neil[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name] or [name]Trey[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]

Best of luck, and congratulations on being this much closer to meeting your baby boy!

1. [name]Jude[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name] - I would also have a problem with [name]Jude[/name] E [name]Davis[/name] sounding like [name]Judy[/name] [name]Davis[/name]. Also as pp said, with [name]Jude[/name] [name]Davis[/name], the two D sounds run together so it sounds like Jew [name]Davis[/name] or you have to really pause between the two names. Prefer [name]Julian[/name] [name]Davis[/name]
  2. [name]Joss[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name] - This one is too nickname-y to me. I don’t care for it. It’s a little cowboy - do you like [name]Wyatt[/name] or [name]Zane[/name]? Those have the same feel to me.
  3. [name]Tate[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name] - I like [name]Tate[/name] and think it sounds very distinguished. This gets my vote!

[name]Tate[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] sounds very today but not tryndy I like the sound of it.

I think that [name]Jude[/name] definitely has the best flow with [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name], and I love it - it’s handsome, and strong without being blunt. I can’t imagine it would cause him much trouble not being able to use his middle initial.

Good luck!

[name]Tate[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] is my favorite.
[name]Jude[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] is very cute, but I see the problems with the middle initial and the first and last names run together a bit.
[name]Joss[/name] is neat but reminds me of [name]Jocelyn[/name] too much.

If you love the name [name]Jude[/name], the “E” initial seems like a very minor problem. I would change a middle name before I changed a first name that I loved. There are so many amazing names that would fit with [name]Jude[/name] [name]Davis[/name]! Good luck!

[name]Jude[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]: I think this is so handsome, but when I say [name]Jude[/name] [name]Davis[/name] out loud, the d’s run into each other. It may just be me, though!

[name]Joss[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]: With [name]Jocelyn[/name]/[name]Joselyn[/name] being such a popular girls’ name (with the nickname [name]Joss[/name], like [name]Joss[/name] [name]Stone[/name], the singer), [name]Joss[/name] feels pretty feminine to me. Because [name]Joss[/name] and [name]Davis[/name] end in S, I think a non-s name would sound great with your last name.

1. [name]Tate[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name]: I think it flows really well, but I do hear the matching long A sounds in [name]Tate[/name] and [name]Davis[/name].

From your list, [name]Jude[/name] is my favorite (I have to admit that I did think of [name]Judy[/name] [name]Davis[/name]) with [name]Tate[/name] in second place.

Some more you may like (or hate), not all of which work with [name]Emerson[/name] :slight_smile: :

Names like [name]Tate[/name]:

[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Breckin[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Cashel[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name] (kind of V heavy with [name]Davis[/name], though)

Names that remind me of [name]Joss[/name]:

[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]

Names that remind me of [name]Jude[/name]:

[name]Augustin[/name]/[name]August[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name] (kind of V heavy with [name]Davis[/name], though)
[name]Everett[/name] (ditto)
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name] (I do think of [name]Miles[/name] [name]Davis[/name], though)
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]

[name]Grant[/name] [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Davis[/name] also comes to mind. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Jude[/name], and then [name]Tate[/name], but prefer PP’s suggestion of [name]Joel[/name], which would be really cute - it fits nicely with [name]Emerson[/name] and [name]Davis[/name], and is a classic too, it also eliminates the problems that PP’s have mentioned with [name]Jude[/name] (harsh D sounds, [name]Jude[/name]-e) and [name]Tate[/name] (long A sounds).

Wow, so helpful! Thanks to everyone who has posted a comment.

[name]Jude[/name] seems to be the unofficial leader, with [name]Tate[/name] a close second. A couple pp have asked if [name]Emerson[/name] is set in stone, and it’s not. But it’s the one middle name we agreed on the most.

I’ll throw a potential wrench in the works and offer up all the potential middle names and see if that changes any minds:

[name]Emerson[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Kieran[/name]
[name]Virgil[/name]

Knowing that our top two first names are [name]Jude[/name] and [name]Tate[/name], and a last name of [name]Davis[/name], what combos do you like most?

Many thanks!

From your list, I really love [name]Jude[/name] [name]Harrison[/name] (although there’s a slight Beetle’s theme). I love [name]Harrison[/name] [name]Jude[/name], too! I thought that [name]Emerson[/name] flowed really well with the names you listed, and my only question about [name]Jude[/name] [name]Davis[/name] was the D’s running into each other when I said the combo out loud.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Jude[/name] the best. joss to me sounds like a girls name. [name]Tate[/name] is ok.

If you’re open to another mn suggestion, how about:

[name]Jude[/name] [name]Iverson[/name] [name]Davis[/name] (it has a very similar sound/feel to [name]Emerson[/name] but flows a bit better, and eliminates the [name]Judy[/name] issue.)

I wrote all the options down and the one that shone was

[name]Tate[/name] [name]Kieran[/name] [name]Davis[/name]

This combo does not have the hissing sound of the others that are loaded with s’s

It is a distinctive name well matched and the flow is great, go with this one.