Help with honor combo possibilities

I’d love to get some brain juices going on possible honor combos for future little girls.

Here’s the rundown on each name:

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] Ernstina / [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] [name_f]Earnestine[/name_f] was my 3rd great grandmother who immigrated from Germany. “Granny [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]” as she has always been known in my family has been many a namesake, as she was definitely THE matriarch. DH really dislikes [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]/[name_f]Paulina[/name_f]. For me, it really depends what it’s paired with. [name_f]Earnestine[/name_f] is a potential candidate, though it’s NOT one of DH’s favorite. DH loves [name_f]Celestine[/name_f], but that’s the only “-ine” name I’ve heard him like.

[name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - My great-grandmother (who was alive until I was 16 and with whom I had a very close relationship) was [name_f]Helen[/name_f]. DH’s grandmother’s English name is [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. [name_f]Every[/name_f] first-born girl in my generation of cousins (of whom I am the first) has had some [name_f]Helen[/name_f] derivative ([name_f]Helene[/name_f] is my second middle name). There has been an [name_f]Elena[/name_f], an [name_f]Alena[/name_f], and [name_f]Aileen[/name_f]. I’m on the fence about continuing that tradition in a new generation (I will likely be the first of the cousins to have children). [name_f]Helen[/name_f]'s grandmother’s name was [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], and that might be in consideration as well.

[name_f]Frida[/name_f] - Grandmother I’d really like to honor. DH dislikes [name_f]Frida[/name_f], but love [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], but not [name_f]Freya[/name_f]. Her husband was
[name_m]Herman[/name_m] [name_m]Isidore[/name_m] - [name_f]Isidora[/name_f] or [name_f]Dorae[/name_f] might be potential ways to honor [name_m]Herman[/name_m]. We’ve also thought of [name_f]Hermione[/name_f].

[name_f]Hildred[/name_f] “[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]” - Another strong matriarch, the one I know the most about. I’d love to honor her. DH hates [name_f]Hildred[/name_f], and is on the fence about [name_f]Daisy[/name_f].

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] “[name_u]Jule[/name_u]” - [name_f]Helen[/name_f]'s mother, a truly amazing woman. DH and I are both “over” [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] based on popularity, but like the sound. [name_u]Jule[/name_u] is definitely a posibility.

[name_m]Julian[/name_m] - a last name/maiden name turned middle name in my family (my mother has it as her middle, my grandmother changed her last name to this name when she got divorced, [name_f]Helen[/name_f]'s maiden name). This also opens up any “Jul-” variation, including [name_u]Julie[/name_u] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f], and again, [name_u]Jule[/name_u].

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] - grandmother. DH doesn’t like [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. I love it! DH loves [name_f]Gretel[/name_f], which I also think is adorable. We both dislike [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. Other “pearl” options are on the table, as are the “daisy” options given the [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] stated previously.

That gives us:
[name_f]Pauline[/name_f]
[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] - looking for other similar honor names
[name_f]Ernestine[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Nellie[/name_f]
[name_f]Frida[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Isidora[/name_f] - looking for other similar honor names
[name_f]Dorae[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
[name_f]Hildred[/name_f] - looking for other similar honor names
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] - looking for other similar honor names
[name_u]Jule[/name_u]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_u]Julie[/name_u]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] - looking for other similar honor names
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f]

Others family members to potentially honor include:
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] (I actually [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f]. DH has said OK for a middle so far. I also like [name_f]Edwige[/name_f]/[name_f]Edwidge[/name_f], but DH has poopooed so far). The [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] in my family went by “[name_f]Hattie[/name_f].”
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]

Other names we BOTH love:
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] (too trendy)
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] (don’t like meaning)
[name_f]Mallory[/name_f] (don’t like meaning)
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]

My picks (vetoed by DH, reference for style):
[name_f]Ines[/name_f]
[name_f]Maudie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]/[name_f]Ruthie[/name_f]
[name_f]Kendra[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_u]Larkin[/name_u]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sidra[/name_f]
[name_f]Mozelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Twila[/name_f]
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]

DH picks (vetoed by me, reference for style):
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], nn [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (I veto based on popularity)
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (ditto)
[name_f]Celestine[/name_f]

Thanks for your input! Let’s get the combos flowing!

[name_u]Jule[/name_u] is quite nice. Unexpected but familiar enough. My favorite combos are

[name_u]Jule[/name_u] [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_u]Jule[/name_u] [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_u]Jule[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] (actually I don’t like [name_f]Frances[/name_f] but the flow is good and it’s nice that you both love it)

I actually love Joule as a name but DH has vetoed it. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] is quite pretty and has so many nice nickname possibilities…are you sure the rising popularity is too much of a hurdle? Another suggestion: [name_f]Geneva[/name_f]

[name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] came to mind, I also like [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_u]Jules[/name_u], and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (is it fine as a middle?). I’d like to suggest [name_f]Neve[/name_f]/[name_f]Niamh[/name_f]. It’s similar to both [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] and could be paired as [name_u]Julie[/name_u] [name_f]Neve[/name_f]/[name_f]Niamh[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_f]Neve[/name_f]/[name_f]Niamh[/name_f], and [name_f]Neve[/name_f]/[name_f]Niamh[/name_f] [name_f]Dorae[/name_f]. Good luck! :slight_smile:

@orchid-lover, do you still think we can have [name_u]Jule[/name_u] as a first with such a short last name? DH prefers 3 syllable plus first name (both he and his sister have three syllable first names). [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Jule[/name_u] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], though, thanks!

@silvercandles, I love [name_f]Niamh[/name_f], but DH has vetoed [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] and [name_f]Siobhan[/name_f] for the spelling reasons. I just don’t like the look of [name_f]Neve[/name_f], unfortunately. But Wouldn’t [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] be perfect given the meaning? [name_u]Bright[/name_u] like [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. Ooh, [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] [name_f]Dorae[/name_f] – gorgeous! [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is really beautiful, but I’m afraid putting such relatively common names together makes it less special.

Any thoughts on [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]/[name_f]Paulina[/name_f]?

Is [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] a decent combo? I’m usually not a huge fan of the 2-2-1 syllable sequence.

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - honors [name_u]Jule[/name_u]/[name_u]Julie[/name_u] - also: [name_f]Julietta[/name_f]/[name_f]Julita[/name_f]/[name_m]Julen[/name_m]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretchen[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] - [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f] honors [name_f]Margot[/name_f]/[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] - also: [name_f]Mamie[/name_f]/[name_f]Mae[/name_f]/[name_f]May[/name_f]/[name_f]Margit[/name_f]/[name_f]Rita[/name_f]/[name_f]Peggy[/name_f]/[name_f]Midge[/name_f]/[name_f]Meg[/name_f]/[name_f]Greta[/name_f]/[name_f]Megan[/name_f]/Margalit/Margalita
[name_f]Hattie[/name_f] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] - also: [name_f]Elaine[/name_f]/[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]/[name_f]Elina[/name_f]/[name_f]Elin[/name_f]/[name_f]Nelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Ginette[/name_f] - [name_f]Ginette[/name_f] is another form of [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] - [name_f]Genoveva[/name_f] is another form of [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Doria[/name_f] - [name_f]Doria[/name_f] is another form of [name_f]Isidora[/name_f]
[name_f]Lina[/name_f]/[name_f]Pavlina[/name_f]/[name_f]Pavla[/name_f]/[name_m]Pavel[/name_m] [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] - Other forms of [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]/[name_m]Paulin[/name_m]

Ooh, I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Doria[/name_f].

We hadn’t considered [name_f]Pavla[/name_f]. I’ll ask DH, though that also makes me wonder if he’d like [name_u]Pasha[/name_u] since he LOVES [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]. Maybe that could be a concession to nickname her [name_u]Pasha[/name_u] if we can name her [name_f]Pauline[/name_f].

And [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is lovely. Also makes me think of [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Jule[/name_u], which I think is GORGEOUS! Thanks! Keep 'em coming, please. This is great.

I grew up with a girl named [name_f]Paula[/name_f], and she was the sweetest! So I’ve always had a soft spot for it and similar names. And nn [name_f]Polly[/name_f] makes it so wearable imo.

I also know a girl named [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] who is super fun and her spunky name totally fits her!

[name_f]Paulina[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Paula[/name_f] [name_u]Julianne[/name_u]
[name_f]Geneva[/name_f] [name_f]Dorae[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Hildie[/name_f] [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Maven[/name_f]
[name_f]Nellie[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Isidora[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

@kala_way, [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] [name_f]Dorae[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Maven[/name_f], and [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] are gorgeous!
Also, [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] has been on our potential list for a while! I love that combo, and think it’s way spunky and adorable.

Can anyone else make some [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] combos?

[name_f]Hildie[/name_f] [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] or [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] would be lovely as well

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] (mar-chell-a)
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Nellie[/name_f] [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] [name_u]Penny[/name_u]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Faye[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaux[/name_f] [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Hattie[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Minna[/name_f] [name_f]Marielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f] [name_u]Echo[/name_u]
[name_f]Mallory[/name_f] [name_f]Minna[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]/[name_f]Ruthie[/name_f] [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] [name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_u]Sasha[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] [name_f]Marceline[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]/[name_u]Penny[/name_u]
[name_f]Celestine[/name_f] [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]

@kala_way, [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]. I love that!

@anatoliabrooke, [name_f]Hattie[/name_f] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is lovely, and I normally dislike [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] (DH loves it).
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f] is absolutely magnificent! Unfortunately, it won’t be a possibility (COK is a no go for initials).
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f] [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] is a great combination, too.

Would [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f], nn [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] work?

You could go with something like [name_f]Julienne[/name_f], [name_f]Julianna[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Juleen[/name_f], or [name_f]Julissa[/name_f] nn [name_u]Jule[/name_u] to get a 3+ syllable first name (for hubby) with the nn you like.

I think [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f] is a great was of freshening it up and allowing for [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] as a nn or [name_f]Maddy[/name_f] depending on what your daughter might prefer in the future.

Have you considered using [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] to honor [name_f]Margot[/name_f]? Or there is a HUGE list of international name relatives that might work for both you and your DH. For Example: [name_f]Margit[/name_f] (my aunts name could go by nn [name_f]Gitta[/name_f]/Gitte which strikes me as the same vain of nn as [name_f]Hildie[/name_f], [name_f]Gretel[/name_f], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], [name_f]Lisel[/name_f] etc), [name_f]Mairead[/name_f]/Maread, [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Marit[/name_f]/Merit, Marjeta just to list a few.

FYI: [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] is a nn form of [name_f]Helen[/name_f]/[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. [name_f]Bet[/name_f] you knew that already… but if variations of that name are a family tradition then you could easily choose another N- variation to specifically honor [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] but also honor the original [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and the family tradition. Something like [name_f]Noor[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Norina[/name_f] or [name_f]Nell[/name_f] could work really well.

@lexiem, Thanks for the input. There is some great advice here.
Yes, we’re considering [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], though I have to say I’m such a scaredy-cat when it comes to popularity, and it seems to be rising so quickly. Almost all of our “honor” names come from my side of the family, because very few of his relatives have English names (DH is a 2nd gen. Chinese-American), but we’re considering names like [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and the like for their Chinese cultural resonance, as well as thinking about names that include the meanings of characters in his family tree. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] happens to be one of them, so if we chose something to honor [name_f]Margot[/name_f], it would likely overlap to “honor” his great-grandmother, for instance.
We do love [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], but fear the popularity. I mean, [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is rising so much too, but it’s different when it’s a direct honor name, you know?

If you’re considering [name_u]Jule[/name_u], then what about [name_f]Jewel[/name_f]? I like [name_f]Paulina[/name_f] very much. [name_f]Paula[/name_f] and [name_f]Polly[/name_f] are also options.

Some ideas:

[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] [name_f]Jewel[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Jewel[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrina[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] (called [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] for short if you like)
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_f]Juliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f] [name_f]Henriette[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] or [name_f]Hattie[/name_f])
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] [name_f]Gretel[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]

Hey,
what about [name_f]Paula[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Pauline[/name_f]?

For example, [name_f]Paula[/name_f] [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] or [name_f]Paula[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] sound nice.
[name_f]Paula[/name_f] [name_f]Ernestine[/name_f] would be another option, as well as [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f].

I hope you will find your perfect name!

@anyagreenwich, [name_f]Jewel[/name_f] is actually a barrier for me to get completely behind [name_u]Jule[/name_u]. I love the look of [name_u]Jule[/name_u] and the sound, but I know most people will assume it’s [name_u]Jule[/name_u] at first hearing, and that’s an issue for me because I just don’t like [name_f]Jewel[/name_f] very much at all.
I love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]!

@rainbowcherry, [name_f]Paula[/name_f] has been definitively vetoed by DH, whereas he says he MIGHT be swayed on [name_f]Pauline[/name_f] as a middle. But I love [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]. Thanks!

Because you said a 3 syllable name works best…

[name_f]Winifred[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Frida[/name_f]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
Mahildreth instead of [name_f]Hildred[/name_f] - takes the dread out
[name_f]Julianna[/name_f] (to get 3 syllables)
[name_f]Margarite[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Margot[/name_f] (3 syl)
[name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] nn “[name_f]Hattie[/name_f].”
[name_f]Pollyanna[/name_f] has [name_f]Paula[/name_f] sound + 3 syl
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] to get 3 syl.
Florabelle is longer than [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] longer than [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]
Bonnilyn instead of [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]
Sidriandra, Sidrian, both longer than [name_f]Sidra[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f] nn [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] or [name_f]Tasha[/name_f] ([name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], nn [name_u]Sasha[/name_u])
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Calista[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Celestine[/name_f]