Help With L Names

I’m going through my list, and I’m not sure if I should keep these names. Opinions please! I’ll list my concerns for each…

[name]Lacey[/name] (Too nicknamey?)
[name]Lauren[/name] (Too common?)
[name]Leslie[/name] (Too masculine?)
[name]London[/name] (Too trendy?)
[name]Louisa[/name] (Too old?)

[name]Lacey[/name]: Too 1980s for me.
[name]Lauren[/name]: Ditto. What about bringing it back to [name]Laura[/name]?
[name]Leslie[/name]: Definitely not masculine anymore, but this definitely feels dated. The only [name]Leslie[/name]'s I know are in my mother’s generation.
[name]London[/name]: Too trendy for me, personally, but it’s a fun name. I just wonder how she’d feel if she ever actually went to [name]London[/name]. Would people take her seriously?
[name]Louisa[/name]: Old in a great way. But I have a penchant for musty names.

What about…

[name]Lane[/name]
[name]Lark[/name]
[name]Layla[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Leonie[/name]
[name]Leonor[/name]
[name]Leontine[/name]
[name]Lenna[/name]
[name]Leta[/name]
[name]Letitia[/name]/[name]Lettie[/name]
[name]Liberty[/name]
[name]Lilibeth[/name]/[name]Lilibet[/name]
[name]Lilo[/name]
[name]Lilou[/name]
[name]Liselotte[/name]
[name]Lisette[/name]
[name]Liv[/name]
[name]Loretta[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]/[name]Lucienne[/name]/[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]

I know these were all over the board, but since your examples had variety, I thought you might want choices. :slight_smile:

I already have [name]Layla[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Leonie[/name], [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Anna[/name], [name]Livvy[/name], [name]Lucia[/name], and [name]Lydia[/name] on my ”[name]Love[/name]!” list. And now that you mention it, I”m starting to like [name]Lena[/name] as well!

[name]Lacey[/name] - I don’t think it is too nickname-y, but I do think it is a bit dated, and it reminds me of [name]Laci[/name] [name]Peterson[/name], who was murdered by her husband in 2002.

[name]Lauren[/name] - Well, this is my name, and there are a fair amount my age, but not too many young ones. You could always use [name]Laura[/name] or [name]Laurel[/name] as a different alternative!

[name]Leslie[/name] - This sounds extremely dated to me.

[name]London[/name] - In the same vain as [name]Paris[/name], this sounds trendy and a bit trashy to me. Sorry!

[name]Louisa[/name] - No, not too old - very pretty and classic! [name]Lulu[/name] is a cute nickname for it!

Others:

[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Lainey[/name]
[name]Liesel[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Leila[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Lark[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Leda[/name]
[name]Libby[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Liza[/name]
[name]Lola[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]

Ditto! [name]Louisa[/name] is my favorite from your list! I think it’s so elegant!
:slight_smile:

If you’re looking for someone with more of a modern feel, you may also like [name]Linden[/name], which sounds a lot like [name]London[/name] to me.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I will echo the sentiments on [name]Louisa[/name] - very pretty :slight_smile:

Other “L” names you may not have on your list:
[name]Linda[/name]
[name]Lyric[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name] (cute nn [name]Lucy[/name])
[name]Lucy[/name] on it’s own
[name]Lulu[/name]/[name]Loulou[/name]
[name]Lia[/name]
[name]Laurentia[/name] (you could still use [name]Lauren[/name] for a nn if you like the name, also [name]Tia[/name] is a cute nn for this)

Sorry for any repeats.

i loooove leslie and louisa

One of my daughters names is [name]Louisa[/name], and since she’s five, I never see see it as old. Of course, each name has a feel to it, as everyone on these forums will agree, but whatever name you choose will also take on the feeling of the person onto whom you bestow it.
P.S. While she’s called [name]Louisa[/name] a lot, we do mostly call her [name]Lulu[/name] or [name]Lou[/name].

[name]Lacey[/name] (Too nicknamey?) - I like [name]Lacey[/name] and I think in your daughter’s generation there will be so many nicknamey names that it won’t stand out as being odd. I also really like [name]Laney[/name].
[name]Lauren[/name] (Too common?) - it is common, but I love it. For a more modern version, I also really like [name]Laurel[/name].
[name]Leslie[/name] (Too masculine?) - my mum is a [name]Lesley[/name] ([name]Leslie[/name] to me is the male spelling) and she hates her name. It’s dated, and people always shorten it to [name]Les[/name], which she hates even more. I wouldn’t use it.
[name]London[/name] (Too trendy?) - I live in [name]London[/name], so I just can’t take it seriously as a name. It sounds odd. But I like [name]Savannah[/name] as a name, and I’m sure someone who lives there would feel the same way about that.
[name]Louisa[/name] (Too old?) - Beautiful. My favourite from the names you’ve listed. I really hope you don’t drop it!

Someone suggested [name]Lilibeth[/name]. I don’t think I’ve heard that before. I like it!
I also have always liked [name]Lark[/name].

From your list I like [name]Louisa[/name] and [name]Lesley[/name]…
Here my suggetions:
[name]Lia[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Lou[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Laetitia[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]

I really love the name [name]Layne[/name]. I think it is super cute on a wee little girl but ultra sophisticated when they are career woman. And it is not popular which always gets my vote! Good [name]Luck[/name]!

[name]Lacey[/name] (Too nicknamey?) - I think it sounds too “lacy,” like lingerie.

[name]Lauren[/name] (Too common?) - seems to have been popular; I think it is a good name (it’s my sister’s name). I don’t feel like it’s too trendy. [name]Laurel[/name] or [name]Lorelei[/name], or even go out on a limb and try [name]Lorraine[/name]; we knew a Laurain, and my sister was so jealous! [name]Lorena[/name] is a no (for me). I still think of the Bobbitts, but it is a pretty name.

[name]Leslie[/name] (Too masculine?) - I have never really liked this name, but these days, I don’t mind it too much. I think it’s hard to say, has some teasing potential, reminds me of bugs for some reason. Not too masculine.

[name]London[/name] (Too trendy?) - Yes, too trendy.

[name]Louisa[/name] (Too old?) - it’s old, but not in the “too” sense, it’s in the “new again” sense; people are looking at this name again in the fashion to revive old names. [name]Luisa[/name] is also cute. I would say [name]Aloisa[/name] (I love it slightly more than [name]Eloise[/name]), but you are asking about L- names.

Other options I like:

[name]Lena[/name] - I see you are attracted to this. I have gotten extremely fond of this lately.

[name]Lucia[/name], or [name]Lucille[/name] - I think [name]Lucia[/name] is classic and beautiful, while [name]Lucille[/name] is just peeking out as a renewed possibility, as [name]Lucia[/name] seems so safe and obvious (but definitely classy).

[name]Lisbeth[/name] - a twist on [name]Elizabeth[/name] that’s very interesting.

[name]Lenore[/name] - or [name]Leonore[/name] - I think nameberry doesn’t have very positive things to say about [name]Lenore[/name], but it is close to [name]Eleanor[/name], and one of those old names like [name]Louise[/name] or [name]Louisa[/name] I think people will start to think about using soon.

[name]Lavinia[/name] - I don’t love this name, but it’s hard for me to dismiss it. It’s another one of those “old” names people are looking into dusting off.

[name]Livia[/name] - similar to [name]Olivia[/name] but with a different origin. People may think it’s therefore made up because they haven’t seen it around. It may not seem distinctive enough for you.

[name]Lila[/name], [name]Layla[/name], one of those kind of names. [name]Lily[/name] also. [name]Lily[/name] feels sort of overused by now, but I love [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Layla[/name] (or spelled [name]Leila[/name]). By contrast, I think [name]Lola[/name] sounds like it’s supposed to be short for something like [name]Laura[/name] or [name]Delores[/name], so I don’t recommend it in this group of L-l names.

[name]Laurentia[/name] - another one close to [name]Lauren[/name]. While I think [name]Lauren[/name] and also [name]Laura[/name] are just tight, easy-going, non-controversial forms of the root, [name]Laurentia[/name] is a little on the exotic side, and ancient besides.

[name]Lara[/name] - even tighter than [name]Laura[/name], very good short name like [name]Lena[/name]. Can be called Lah-ra or Lair-ah, and people will pronounce it both ways; if you prefer one way, and you like people to get it right the first time, this name may not be for you.

[name]Linden[/name] - someone suggested this earlier, I think it is pretty. It’s a name of a tree, and everywhere I’ve ever lived, also a street name (after the tree). I kind of like that, you can take a picture of the sign and hang it in the nursery, or pictures of the tree. [name]Lindy[/name] is a cute nickname, and also a dance step, after the [name]Charles[/name] [name]Lindbergh[/name], Lindy Hop - Wikipedia. Interestingly, the [name]Charleston[/name] was also named for him.

I’m not scouring the lists, so I’ve run out of ideas off the top of my head. I hope you consider some of the ideas.

[name]Lacey[/name]-I wouldn’t say it is too nicknamey, but it is pretty common, At least in my area.
[name]Lauren[/name]: I think this is becoming less common. It is a pretty name.
[name]Leslie[/name]: I don’t know if it is too masculine. The only [name]Leslie[/name]'s I know are female.
[name]London[/name]: I guess you could say this is trendy, but I think it is a great name. I think it is talked about more than it is actally used.
[name]Louisa[/name]: I totally agree that this is too old.

What about these options (sorry for repeats):
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Layla[/name]
[name]Larkin[/name]

I guess I should have read all the posts first. [name]Glad[/name] to hear you already have [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Layla[/name] on your list. They are great names.

I love L names!
[name]How[/name] about:

[name]Liberty[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Lane[/name]
[name]Lola[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Lia[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Lula[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]

[name]Louisa[/name] is my favorite from your list.

I am biased for [name]Louisa[/name] too, as we chose it for our new baby’s name, but it was a boy ([name]Charlie[/name]) so we didn’t get to use it. I just wanted to say I expected my family, particularly my sisters, to think it way too old/musty, but when I told them it was our girl’s choice, they thought about it a minute, and said “that is really pretty.” [name]Both[/name] had the same reaction, and the few friends I told also liked it a lot too (a few didn’t - you can tell when they just say nothing at all!).

So, that’s my two cents about [name]Louisa[/name]! [name]Love[/name] it, but also like [name]Lena[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Laura[/name] . . . I didn’t have time to look over the other suggestions - I’m sure there are many great ones!