Help with name spelling/pronunciation

Hello! I’m 33 weeks pregnant and struggling with my 3rd girl’s (4th child’s) name. I’ve been stuck on Bay this whole time and can’t see using anything else but there are some issues with middle names. One option is to make her first name said like Bay-uh to help flow with the middle name a little, and still just call her Bay.

If you saw Beia, would you guess it was said like BAY-uh or BEE-uh? I was hoping the Star Wars character Princess Leia would sway people towards BAY-uh haha…

I personally like the look of Beia over Beya/Baya. For reference, my other two daughters are Wren and Neve (said like actress Neve Campbell’s name, NEHV). Son is Milo.

2 Likes

When using Beia (which I like) I would pronounce it like Bay-uh (like leia in star wars but with a b). I also prefer Beia over Beya/Baya, it just looks nicer. I think it could work!

5 Likes

Beia is very cute x
I would pronounce it as Bay-uh

I would pronounce it by-uh.

Beia is gorgeous! I’d pronounce it like [name_f]Leia[/name_f] with a B, (though I know a girl named “bay-uh,” and her name is spelt [name_f]Bea[/name_f], which I also really love!) [name_u]Bay[/name_u] is also really beautiful, especially with her sisters’ names.

I wouldn’t be sure how to say Beia at first, but I could be easily corrected or I’d make a guess, which would be bay-uh.

If you plan to call her [name_u]Bay[/name_u], you should just use [name_u]Bay[/name_u], even if the middle name doesn’t flow perfectly. [name_u]Or[/name_u], if you must have the Bay-uh sound, as someone else suggested, you could use the more established [name_f]Bea[/name_f]. It can be pronounced [name_f]Bee[/name_f] or Bay-uh.

[name_u]Or[/name_u] could you add the uh sound at the beginning of the middle name? For example: [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] instead of [name_u]Lane[/name_u] or [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Maya[/name_f] or [name_f]Estella[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Stella[/name_f]. I don’t know what the middle name is or if this could work.

2 Likes

I’m pretty big on nicknames…Wren is always called [name_f]Wrenna[/name_f], [name_f]Neve[/name_f] is often called Nevie, etc. So really, whether her legal name was [name_u]Bay[/name_u] or Beia, she would be called both a good amount of the time!

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty, and [name_u]Bay[/name_u] really flows with [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Neve[/name_f], and [name_u]Milo[/name_u]! I wouldn’t be quite sure how to say Beia at first, honestly. Maybe as beh-EE-ah or BEE-uh? BAY-uh would be my next guess. I prefer [name_f]Bea[/name_f] said BAY-uh, personally. It’s a very pretty name, though!

I like Beia! And I would pronounce it the way you want, like Bay-uh.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was bee-uh but now bay-uh makes more sense

I always liked the name Beya. The Beia spelling is also pretty but I’m not a fan of the [name_f]Baya[/name_f] spelling which I think I’d rhyme with [name_f]Maya[/name_f].

I would probably try either Bee-a or Bay-a if I saw Beia spelled out. One personal note is that when I hear “bee-ah” in particular it does bring to mind the “b” word a bit, because of that '90s kid thing where one would shorten or drawl out the word to make it less swear-y (“such a b-, bi-uhh, bi-otch” etc). It may just be my personal associations, but since Beia is an unfamiliar name to me I do feel like my brain is a little more alert to other word associations.

I really like [name_u]Bay[/name_u] with your other daughters’ one syllable names.

I think I’d pronounce it bey-uh but wouldn’t be sure if that was correct. I do prefer [name_u]Bay[/name_u] and using Beia as a cute nickname. [name_u]Bay[/name_u] goes so well with your other kids names.

I pronounce it Bay-uh!
X

BAY-a

I would say BAY-uh. We’re a nickname family too, and Beia, [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and [name_f]Neve[/name_f] match so well!

I appreciate all of the help and advice!
We decided on her name towards the end of the weekend–Bay [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. We can still call her Bay-uh (however you want to spell it) as a nickname! [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is for baby’s great grandma [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] who passed away last year. It feels good to FINALLY have the name figured out and I love it so much, especially alongside her sisters’ names.

4 Likes

Ultimately this is what we decided–to use [name_u]Bay[/name_u] officially and we can call her Beia too

1 Like

I immediately think of the rule “ I before E except after C or when sounding like A as in neighbor and weigh”

So Beia should be pronounced BAY ah. Beia [name_f]Margot[/name_f] would have been nice too.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] your naming style.