Help with names-boys and girls

I’m asking for advice because after I chose my favorite names I found out just how popular they were in 2008-I liked [name]Aiden[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name]. I would like to choose a less common name for my baby. My name is [name]Jennifer[/name] and during my school years there was at least one other [name]Jennifer[/name] in all of my classes. I always found it frustrating and don’t want my child to have this problem. Any advice or comments are welcome. So are any suggestions for middle names.

BOYS:
[name]Odin[/name]
[name]Anthony[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Carson[/name]

GIRLS:
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Mirabella[/name]
[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]

[name]Ah[/name] yes, [name]Aidan[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] are a wee bit too popular. Have you considered [name]Hayden[/name] as an alternative? I know a guy and a girl with that name, and I think it’s lovely for both. On your boy list, I like [name]Odin[/name]'s originality, but it’s unavoidable nn-- [name]Odie[/name]-- isn’t too great. :confused:

From the girls’ list, I particuarly like [name]Delilah[/name] (nn [name]Lila[/name]!), [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Violet[/name]. Be advised that all the [name]Belle[/name]/[name]Bella[/name] names are super-hot right now ([name]Stella[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Anabel[/name], [name]Isabella[/name]).

I adore [name]Anthony[/name] and I think he has a good chance of being the only one in todays age of naming.

Your girl’s name might not be so lucky out of the ones you’ve chosen, but there’s still a chance. I think [name]Hazel[/name] will be a short lived name comeback… I’m not sure why I think this, but my gut is usually right. Sounds odd for me to say a classic name is considered ‘trendy’ now a days, I know. But, hey… I could be off my rocker, lol.

[name]Chloe[/name] is uber popular and there’s no real nn potential there for classroom differentiating.**ummm, then again after posting with [name]Laura[/name] on here and finding out her nn is [name]Lola[/name] (I know, how cool is that) I guess anything is possible!

I guess ditto for the others. But, [name]Mirabella[/name]. As you have proabably seen from my post, I love the name [name]Mira[/name], so that names got 2 pluses from me. 1. not as popular (where I live anyways) 2. nn potential.

K, I’m done the novel

HTH a wee bit (really just me blabbing waiting for this prime rib to cook, lol)

BOYS:
[name]Odin[/name]-my first thought when I read this name was odious, not good.
[name]Anthony[/name]-I like this one
[name]Elijah[/name]-I never know whether to say [name]Eli[/name]-jah with a soft j, or [name]Eli[/name]-jah with a hard j, confusing
[name]Carson[/name]-too much a surname, I don’t like that trend in names of using last names for first names

GIRLS:
[name]Delilah[/name]-I like this one a lot
[name]Mirabella[/name]-too long for my taste
[name]Annabelle[/name]-cute
[name]Anastasia[/name]-I like this one a lot
[name]Hazel[/name]-too frumpy
[name]Violet[/name]-I like this a lot
[name]Chloe[/name]-way too common

It’s so hard to come up with something unique without it’s being odd! Ugh. :slight_smile:

My picks are [name]Elijah[/name]- love nickname [name]Eli[/name]
and [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name] like [name]Hazelle[/name] too

what about [name]Peony[/name] or [name]Austen[/name]?
Or [name]Barnaby[/name] or [name]Arthur[/name]?

BOYS:
[name]Odin[/name] - I find it difficult to warm to [name]Odin[/name]. The character in Norse Mythology is not always benevolent and just, but tireless in his thirst for knowledge of the details of his destiny at [name]Ragnar[/name]?k and willing to abandon his heroes in the heat of battle and selfishly allow their deaths so that they can fight for him at Valhalla. If you want an alternative for [name]Aiden[/name] then I recommend [name]Adrian[/name].
[name]Anthony[/name] - quite lovely but also rather popular in the US (#7 in 07) which seems to be something that you are trying to avoid. I recommend [name]Anton[/name] as an alternative.
[name]Elijah[/name] - my favourite of your boys list. Solid namesake, fairly recognisable but not cloyingly popular.
[name]Carson[/name] - A surname that is part of the exceedingly trendy ‘son’ and ‘on’ trend. [name]Even[/name] if there won’t be another [name]Carson[/name] in the class, there is likely to be another person with a ‘son’ name.

GIRLS:
[name]Delilah[/name] - doesn’t have the best namesake in the Biblical character - not a namesake I’d want my child to be associated with. [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Kelila[/name] may appeal as alternatives.
[name]Mirabella[/name] - I tend to think that names longer than 3 syllables are a little unwieldy - as is [name]Mirabella[/name]. [name]Mirabel[/name] is simpler and easier. [name]Mira[/name] is an adorable nickname.
[name]Annabelle[/name] - this is fine, has some good nicknames though I prefer [name]Anastasia[/name].
[name]Anastasia[/name] - Quite lovely, and flows well through its 5 syllables (much easier than [name]Mirabella[/name]).
[name]Hazel[/name] - my favourite - timeless and effortless name, that doesn’t really sound like anything else.
[name]Violet[/name] - fine, but getting popular. Reminds me of violent and the French ‘viol’ or rape. I prefer the Greek [name]Iole[/name] or [name]Iolanthe[/name].
[name]Chloe[/name]

For your boys I love [name]Elijah[/name] (have you considered [name]Nathan[/name]/[name]Nathanial[/name], [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Micah[/name], or [name]Isaac[/name]?). I like a lot of your girl names too. But I think that (like [name]Isabelle[/name]) a lot of the names that end with [name]Belle[/name] are getting popular. That said I think [name]Annabelle[/name] is too cute. [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] are great. Umm what about [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Tatiana[/name] or [name]Georgia[/name]?