help with names english/spanish friendly please

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], I am 23 weeks preg, just found out we are expecting a baby boy… we were so sure it would be a girl we are clueless on male names. We live in Mexico and my parents don’t speak much english so I want something easy to pronounce, but my husband is american and his parents don’t speak much spanish.

Names we are considering at the moment:
[name_m]Ezequiel[/name_m], [name_m]Damian[/name_m]

My favorite name is [name_m]Vladimir[/name_m] but hubby has a bad association with it (stupid politics), he has admitted the name itself is nice but he might not get over it.

I think [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] are nice but hubby thinks they are not masculine enough, which I don’t understand since I like them because they sound so masculine to me :confused:

He suggested [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] and I like the sound of it but it is a bit complicated to use as is and will most likely end up translated as [name_m]Federico[/name_m], which I don’t like. A lot of names with translations I don’t like actually.

Except maybe Lizander which hubby suggested, Lizandro was my grandfather’s name, but I have a cousin who was very close to him and he is hoping to have a boy so I don’t want to steal it away since I was not that close to him myself.

Names I like but might be too “english”:
[name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m], [name_u]Mason[/name_u]

Names we like but feel might be too much:
[name_m]Demetrius[/name_m], [name_m]Maximus[/name_m], [name_m]Ramses[/name_m]

Out of your suggestions I like (in this order): [name_m]Maximus[/name_m], [name_m]Demetrius[/name_m], [name_m]Damian[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], Lizander, [name_m]Ezequiel[/name_m], [name_m]Bruno[/name_m], [name_m]Vladimir[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Ramses[/name_m]

I’m not sure of the translations of [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m], or [name_u]Mason[/name_u] so I can’t judge them based on those. They are very English though.
[name_u]Logan[/name_u] > [name_u]Mason[/name_u] > [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] > [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m]

I don’t think [name_m]Maximus[/name_m] or [name_m]Demetrius[/name_m] are “too much”.
I prefer [name_m]Maximus[/name_m] over [name_m]Demetrius[/name_m] but I’ve always had a thing for [name_u]Max[/name_u] names other than [name_u]Max[/name_u] or [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] (i.e. [name_m]Maximus[/name_m] or [name_m]Maxfield[/name_m])

I think you’ve got a good list going.

If you really are considering Lizander, then I’d talk to your cousin about it and see if you cousin is planning on using that name if he ever has a son.

Good luck and best wishes.

[name_m]Ezequiel[/name_m]- I think this is a wonderful name. It sounds just as good in English as it does Spanish.
[name_m]Damian[/name_m]- I don’t care for how it sounds in Spanish myself, but that’s just me. If you like it, this is a great choice.

I’m not going to comment on the ones that you or husband have an issue with. I’d just eliminate them, personally, unless you feel it’s worth fighting for. If you both love Lizander/[name_m]Lysander[/name_m], talk with your cousin.

I agree that [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m], [name_u]Mason[/name_u] don’t translate well.

[name_m]Demetrius[/name_m], [name_m]Maximus[/name_m], [name_m]Ramses[/name_m] are definitely grandiose, but they’re great names. I think [name_m]Maximus[/name_m] is the best of the three, because it has [name_u]Max[/name_u] as a potential nickname so it doesn’t feel so formal. I like it in both languages as well.

Have you considered the following:

[name_m]Adolfo[/name_m]/[name_m]Adolf[/name_m]- it’s not used much in the English form, but the Spanish form is easily pronounced in English if [name_m]Adolf[/name_m] bothers any English speaking family members.

Agustín/[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] - hardly different at all!

[name_m]Alejandro[/name_m]/[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] - a classic, but lovely

Andrés/[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] - another classic that’s a great name

[name_m]Esteban[/name_m]/[name_m]Stephen[/name_m] - nothing fancy, but it’s equally charming in either language

[name_m]Faustino[/name_m] - I’m not really sure what the English version is. [name_m]Faustus[/name_m] maybe? Regardless, it’s easily said in English and I know because my cousin is a [name_m]Faustino[/name_m] and he’s never had an issue.

[name_m]Fernando[/name_m]/[name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] - the Spanish version actually sounds great in English without using the English form if you don’t care for [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m].

Hèctor/[name_m]Hector[/name_m] - swoon! This is dashing in either language. More common in Spanish than English.

[name_m]Ismael[/name_m]/[name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] - lovely in both languages

[name_u]Jaime[/name_u] - technically I think this is [name_u]James[/name_u] in English, but I’d keep it [name_u]Jaime[/name_u] and just say it in English.

[name_m]Javier[/name_m]/[name_m]Xavier[/name_m] - I think this is a winner in both forms

[name_m]Leandro[/name_m]/[name_m]Leander[/name_m] - similar, and shines equally in both languages. Similar to Lizander, so you may like it

[name_m]Marco[/name_m] - another I’d just keep in Spanish form as it sounds very dashing in English

[name_m]Mateo[/name_m] - and another that’s swoon worthy when said in English, so I’d keep it in Spanish rather than calling him [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]. It has the spunky [name_m]Teo[/name_m] nickname in there.

Melchor/[name_m]Melchior[/name_m] - so similar. A bit old-fashioned perhaps, but it’s a great name

[name_m]Salvador[/name_m]- not sure what this is in English, but it’s well enough known in English that it doesn’t need a translation. [name_f]Every[/name_f] [name_m]Salvador[/name_m] I’ve ever known was handsome and kind.

[name_m]Santiago[/name_m] - this could go lots of ways. You could go for [name_u]James[/name_u] in English, or you could use [name_m]Santiago[/name_m], as it’s easily said in English. There’s also the fun and unexpected [name_m]Tiago[/name_m] nickname in there.

Sebastián/[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] - another that sounds so alike, and it sounds amazing.

Tristán/[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] - almost identical, gorgeous

[name_m]Victor[/name_m] - no translation needed! It’s great in both languages.

Thank you so much for your input, [name_m]Ezequiel[/name_m] is still at the top of the list, hubby just made up his mind about [name_m]Damian[/name_m] and he would rather not use it.

I’ve always looovedd [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and I like pretty much all the variations, but a relative just named her daughter [name_f]Alexa[/name_f], she is only 3 months old so it kinda feels taken, hubby is ok with it.

I just realized the [name_u]Max[/name_u] variations are out as much as I love them, my husband’s last name ([name_m]Wood[/name_m]) is a recipe for never-ending puns, it’s bad enough lol. In fact we have yet to decide if we are using american style last name (just father) or mexican (father and mother) either way [name_m]Wood[/name_m] will be there.

The names [name_m]Javier[/name_m], [name_m]Victor[/name_m], [name_m]Mateo[/name_m], Melchor, [name_m]Ismael[/name_m] are taken in my family, I agree they translate very well. I actually had not considered [name_m]Faustus[/name_m]/[name_m]Fausto[/name_m] at all, I like it but hubby doesn’t :frowning:

I will not use Lizander, it’s too important to my cousin but I was hoping for a name with similar feel, hubby said no to [name_m]Leandro[/name_m].

Tristán is so beautiful and romantic but I can’t help to think of the word “triste” (sad)

I haven’t quite been able to give up on [name_m]Vladimir[/name_m], maybe finding a good match for [name_m]Ezequiel[/name_m], either as middle or first will help me let go of it, any ideas? I was thinking specially if used as first name, translating so well into both languages we could use english names without guilt.