Help with names

We are expecting our first child in Feb. The baby was shy during the ultrasound, so we’re not sure if it’s a girl or a boy. I have two boy names picked out already, but am having trouble with girl names. I have always loved the name [name]Ava[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] for a girl, but I am having second thoughts about [name]Ava[/name] since it is soooo popular right now. I still love [name]Celeste[/name] and would love some suggestions for either a middle name or a first name to go with it as I think it would go great in either spot. I also love [name]Evangeline[/name], but want to use it as a middle name since I don’t care for the nicknames that go with it, so any suggestions of a first name would be appreciated. I would prefer names that are not too trendy or popular. Thanks for your help!

Addendum: I also love the name Elspeth (nickname: Elsie), but am stumped for a middle name.

:slight_smile:

My first thoughts were [name]Ada[/name] or [name]Eva[/name] which I think are close to [name]Ava[/name] and go well with [name]Celeste[/name] as a middle. [name]Ava[/name] is beautiful though, if you can get past the popularity I would go with that.

[name]Elspeth[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] would be very sweet :slight_smile:

[name]Ida[/name] seems like a good alternative to [name]Ava[/name] [name]IMO[/name], short, sweet, vintage and not nearly as popular. Also very underappreciated ^^
[name]Ida[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] sounds wonderful!
[name]Aviva[/name], [name]Avigail[/name], [name]Avril[/name] and Avila could give you [name]Ava[/name] as a nickname. [name]Aviva[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] flows best to me, but I guess Avila has the same rhythm so they’re interchangeable flow-wise :slight_smile:
[name]Doveva[/name] is also a pretty name which reminds me of [name]Ava[/name]. She’s more out there though, and nicknaming her [name]Ava[/name] would be a good stretch.

I agree with the pp on the combo [name]Elspeth[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]! Very pretty. I’d also like to add [name]Avalon[/name] to the discussion. While i’s not exactly the same style of some of your other names, it could lead to the nn [name]Ava[/name]. [name]Avalon[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] is a very pretty combo [name]IMO[/name].

I love [name]Celeste[/name], that would be my top pick for u. I like [name]Ava[/name], but don’t love it’s popularity so I
personally would use it just as mn. I also think [name]Celeste[/name] is just wonderful all around, in meaning, in sound, and having feminine and elegant qualities. Some suggestions:

[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] Avelia (ah-vail-ee-ah)
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Maribel[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Brielle[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Mireille[/name] (meer-ay)
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Faith[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Emilia[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name] [name]Alayna[/name]

[name]How[/name] about [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] ? [name]Elspeth[/name] is hard to say. I would go with [name]Elsa[/name]. [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] would be cute. [name]Anna[/name] [name]Celeste[/name] sounds good together as well.

Thanks for the suggestions! I really like the sound of [name]Elspeth[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] (or [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name])–is the nn [name]Elsie[/name] too childish for a teenager/grown-up? I also love [name]Aviva[/name] [name]Celeste[/name], [name]Avalon[/name] [name]Celeste[/name], and Aveilia [name]Celeste[/name] (but not the other way around). If I nn her [name]Ava[/name], though, won’t that be the same as naming her [name]Ava[/name]? She’ll still have to deal with lots of people having that name all her life.

I’m just having a hard time liking the sound of any name as a middle name for [name]Celeste[/name]–would it be bad to give it as a middle name, but then call her that? I think if I could find a long, unique name for the middle I would like it better (like maybe a constellation to go with the theme?).

Also, what do you think of [name]Vesper[/name] as a first name? I have loved it since I read [name]Lloyd[/name] [name]Alexander[/name]'s books about [name]Vesper[/name] [name]Holly[/name] as a kid. Any thoughts on a middle name?

In case it helps, the boys’ names I have picked out are [name]Eoin[/name] [name]Alan[/name] (dh’s middle name), and [name]Amos[/name] (not settled on a middle name yet).

Thanks again for all the suggestions–who knew naming would be so hard? :slight_smile:

I think [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] is a beautiful name - and I think [name]Elsie[/name] works really well as a nickname on either a child or an adult.

I also really like [name]Vesper[/name] - unusual, spunky but whispery and beautiful.

[name]Vesper[/name] [name]Simone[/name]
[name]Vesper[/name] [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Vesper[/name] [name]Solene[/name]
[name]Vesper[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Vesper[/name] [name]Skye[/name]
[name]Vesper[/name] [name]Felicity[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Vesper[/name] [name]Annalise[/name]
[name]Vesper[/name] [name]Marisol[/name]

I would love to meet a little Vesper!!

Not a fan of [name]Elsbeth[/name], but [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] is great!