Help with the name Agatha

Our daughter is due in [name]December[/name], so we are in the midst of name negotiations! (Which I secretly enjoy and I think my husband secretly dreads!)

I love, love the name [name]Agatha[/name], but am having a bit of a hard time with a nickname. Because it is three syllables, I feel like it will be shortened (whether I want it to be or not), but I don’t like the nn [name]Aggie[/name].

Any thoughts on alternative nicknames?

Also, any middle name suggestions would be appreciated. We would like it to start with an E or J (family tradition), and tend towards the less popular, older names. Our last name has 3 syllables and starts with R and ends with -son

Thank you!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Hattie[/name] as a nn?
I personally love the name [name]Agatha[/name] but my DH didn’t. We have a daughter with a 3 syllable name and we almost always use her full name, which means that everyone else does too, but I realise that you have no control over what other people call your children especially when they get to school age!

AS for middle names could only think of a few how about
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] (whole lot of name tho’!)
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]

[name]Joanne[/name]
[name]Joan[/name](wouldn’t normally like this but think it goes quite well)
[name]Jay[/name]

Good luck choosing x

[name]Agatha[/name] is a really great name. You could use [name]Atha[/name] as a nickname, or maybe Gata. As for middle names, you might like:

[name]Eliana[/name] (it ends in an a as well, though)
[name]Elthea[/name]
[name]Ernestine[/name] (not my favorite)
[name]Esme[/name] (my favorite)

I loved the previous suggestion of [name]Eleanor[/name].

[name]Jane[/name] (huge middle name)
[name]Josephine[/name] (whole lotta name)
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Jillian[/name]

I hope you find a middle name and nickname you like.

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Enid[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Emma[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Ester[/name]

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jayne[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jeraldine[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jolene[/name]

I love [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jane[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Agatha[/name]. It reminds me of [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Christie[/name]. My combo was [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Violet[/name].

I’m also an [name]Agatha[/name] fan. Since it can be considered kind of stuffy, I’d go with something lighter and less formal in the middle.

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jill[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jolie[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Joelle[/name]

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Evie[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eden[/name]

NNs are a bit harder. Maybe you could take her nn from her middle name?

I don’t like the name [name]Agatha[/name]. It sounds like an old lady name. If I had this name, I would hate it. It’s like [name]Gertrude[/name] or [name]Edna[/name].

I can definitely see the charm in [name]Gertrude[/name] or [name]Edna[/name] and I tend to like “old lady names,” but I also really dislike [name]Agatha[/name].

There’s something harsh about it that stops it from being pretty. I just can’t find an angle to approach this name from where it could be feminine, or cute, or sophisticated, or sporty, or playful, or even serious, or any of those things that you would look for to identify with a name. I’m just not finding the personality in this name. I would toss it around a little more and see what other kinds of reations you get from people in your community and then think really hard about it before deciding to give this name to your little girl.

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Easter[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eulalie[/name]

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Johanna[/name]

Seems like “[name]Attie[/name]” could work as a nickname.

And I second “[name]Eve[/name]” as a mn.

I love:
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eve[/name]

You could use [name]Aggie[/name] as a nickname, similar to [name]Maggie[/name] :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Agatha[/name]! I think it’s time for a revival. I’m a bit stumped on nns too but I love [name]Hattie[/name] which someone else suggested and I think could work. Middle name ideas:

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Edith[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jasmine[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jillian[/name]

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I like the name [name]Agatha[/name] and like the nn [name]Aggie[/name] - I know you said you didn’t, but I have a feeling that would be the nn she would mostly get. Maybe [name]Thea[/name]?

Names that remind me of [name]Agatha[/name] are:

[name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]

I would absolutely hate to be called [name]Agatha[/name] I think it is a simply ugly name. It is vintage but it has no charisma at all.

Maybe [name]Agnethe[/name] (Mamma [name]Mia[/name]) would fit better, at least I think it has more going for it but I always see ‘lamb’ when I see a name starting with agn. it is a total no go zone in my opinion.

Can we get you to love the other vintage names eg [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Antoinette[/name]?

You could call her Aga! [name]Aggie[/name] will be a choice that some people choose to call your daughter, but I think Aga is kind of cute. I agree with some of the people on here - I don’t love [name]Agatha[/name] at all, but if you do, then go for it!

Also, I [name]DON[/name]'T see how [name]Hattie[/name] is a nickname for [name]Agatha[/name], as that name appears nowhere in the name. [name]Hattie[/name] is a nickname for [name]Harriet[/name], so I wouldn’t choose it when your daughter is to be named [name]Agatha[/name]. [name]Just[/name] my opinion! ([name]Hattie[/name] is cute, though, so maybe [name]Harriet[/name] would be a darling choice!)

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Ernestine[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eunice[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Edith[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] Edolie
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eileen[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eldora[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Ellen[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] Ermengarde
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eugenie[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eulalie[/name]

[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Janine[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Joanne[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jolene[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Joyce[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Judith[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Julianne[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name] [name]Justine[/name]

I personally think J names are a bit more trendy, but many still work. If your last name is long, say [name]Robinson[/name], then maybe a shorter middle name paired with [name]Agatha[/name] is best. [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Estelle[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Eileen[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [name]Robinson[/name], and [name]Agatha[/name] [name]Jolene[/name] [name]Robinson[/name] are my favorites for you.

Like any? Sorry for repeats. Good luck!