So, after @AlSP used this to find a movie title, I decided to do the same with a book I’ve been trying to remember for years.
This may be more of a question for teenberries, as it’s designed for children/teens, maybe age 10 and up- and it was so good! I remember more random details than the overarching plot, so here’s what I remember:
- A woman comes to this boy’s house and gives him a test by having him look at a photo. She then takes it away and asks normal memory questions about it, but then asks what was in the gift box in the corner. It was closed, so there was no way he would know, but somehow it comes to him: a stuffed penguin. She then has him do this mental “journey” thing where he is on a city street inside his mind and there’s a word written on the sidewalk. She asks him what it is, and he tells her, correctly.
- He then goes to this boarding school with other kids who have a talent like him. They go into these thought tank things that take each to their own simulated reality where they develop their talent.
- there are these twins that aren’t at the school whose mother is the villain. One of the twins is clearly more talented than the other and the other despises him for it
- At one point, the bully at the boarding school and the protagonist have to fly on a helicopter together for some reason. They’re told to make sure not to think about the helicopter crashing or anything because they can control things with their mind, so it might actually happen. The bully tells the protagonist that his dad once told him that the best way to get someone to think about purple elephants is to tell them to not think about purple elephants
- the protagonist at one point has to enter the mind of an author he loves, and while there, he sneaks a peek at the book she’s currently writing
- I’m pretty sure the protagonist kills one of the bad twins?
Anyway, I’ve been trying to figure it out forever! It’s driving me crazy! Pleeeeaaaaseee help!
P.S. I’m just gonna tag @Sky85 because she is a pro at this!!