Help with this? (naming characters' baby)

Keep in mind that my story takes place during the 1910s in the rural South.

Two characters in my story are having a baby. For reasons I won’t go into, the baby will be named after her father whose name is [name]Franklin[/name] [name]Marion[/name] ([name]Frank[/name]). My first thought for a feminine version was [name]Frances[/name] [name]Mary[/name], and that’s what I’ve stuck with for a while now. However, [name]Frances[/name] will have three older siblings: [name]Lissie[/name] [name]Mae[/name], [name]Celia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], and [name]Eddie[/name] [name]Henry[/name]. [name]Both[/name] of her sisters go by their first and middle name (double names). Would it be strange for [name]Frances[/name] not to? If so, what could she go by? I’m open to changing the middle name, but her first name has to be [name]Frances[/name]. Their surname is [name]Tyler[/name].

I think it is just fine for her to go by [name]Frances[/name]! But if you are still not happy with it, how about her going by a nickname plus middle name like [name]Frankie[/name] [name]Mary[/name]!

Hmm, her parents wouldn’t go for [name]Frankie[/name]. I’m starting to lean toward [name]Fancy[/name]…

I think it would be fine, but would you consider dropping one of the kid’s middle names? Like you would have [name]Lissie[/name] [name]Mae[/name], [name]Celia[/name], [name]Eddie[/name], and [name]Frances[/name]. And does [name]Eddie[/name] go by [name]Eddie[/name] or [name]Eddie[/name] [name]Henry[/name]? I think you could easily drop [name]Henry[/name], and it would make it equal with 2 kids with double names and 2 kids with one name(plus the -ie and -y endings in his name bother me.) :slight_smile: I also like your idea of [name]Fancy[/name], would you go for [name]Fanny[/name]? Whatever you do, I’m sure it will all work out. :slight_smile:

[name]Eddie[/name] just goes by [name]Eddie[/name]. I should have clarified that. The children go by [name]Lissie[/name] [name]Mae[/name], [name]Celia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] (sometimes [name]Celie[/name]), and [name]Eddie[/name].

I’m starting part two of this story for NaNoWriMo, and I want to decide what to call her soon so that I can make an outline of sorts. I’ll probably stick with [name]Frances[/name] and have [name]Fancy[/name] be an occasional nickname. [name]Fancy[/name] just fits her little personality so well…

In 1910 a [name]Frances[/name] would probably be nicknamed [name]Fanny[/name].

[name]Frances[/name] [name]Marie[/name]? [name]Francesca[/name] [name]Marie[/name]? [name]Frances[/name] [name]Marianne[/name]?

She could go by [name]Fanny[/name] [name]Marie[/name], or [name]Fran[/name] [name]Marie[/name]?

Thanks everyone. I’ve decided to stick with [name]Frances[/name] [name]Mary[/name], occasionally called [name]Fanny[/name] or [name]Fancy[/name]. Now a new naming dilemma has come up in making the outline, and I’ll make a separate thread for that.