HELP!

I have three kids, two boys named [name]Sawyer[/name] & [name]August[/name] and a daughter named [name]Isla[/name]. I’m looking for a name to go with theirs.

My husband is Australian and we both grew up on the beach so we love the ocean, summer, being outdoors and want a name to reflect that.

[name]Sawyer[/name] was picked for [name]Tom[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name], who represents (to us) being outside, floating down the river, fishing, . . .

We picked [name]Isla[/name], because we got married on a beach on a beautiful Hawaiian island and just fell in love with the name the first time I heard it.

[name]August[/name] represents the summer and also because we met in [name]August[/name] and got married in [name]August[/name] too.

Any suggestions without naming them [name]Ocean[/name] or [name]Violet[/name]? I don’t like a lot of word names - [name]August[/name] is obviously the exception. :slight_smile:

So far here is what I have come up with. But feel free to suggest more. Please!!! This list is just our jumping off place.

THE GIRLS:

[name]Bronte[/name]: A suburb of [name]Sydney[/name], Australia, where I met my husband when I was backpacking around Australia and New Zealand. Plus, I’m an English major and [name]Sawyer[/name] is a literature name too. They prounounce it [name]Bron[/name]-Tee over there, but we would pn it [name]Bron[/name]-tae.

[name]Cora[/name]: Reminds us of [name]Coral[/name] (i.e. Great Barrier (coral) reef in Australia).

[name]Malu[/name]: [name]Isla[/name] made friends with a [name]Malu[/name] when we went on vacation in Maui. She was the cutest thing.

[name]Ariel[/name]: [name]Isla[/name]'s pick b/c she’s obsessed with The [name]Little[/name] Mermaid. Actually, all things mermaid. :slight_smile:

[name]Ciel[/name]: pn See-[name]Elle[/name]. Means sky in French. Like it much better than [name]Sky[/name]/[name]Skye[/name].

THE BOYS:

[name]Finn[/name]: We both love [name]Finn[/name], but since we already have a [name]Sawyer[/name], we’re not sure if we can have a [name]Finn[/name] too.

[name]Kai[/name]: Means ocean, but he likes it more than I do.

Names we crossed out:

[name]River[/name]: Always think of [name]River[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name], plus a word name.
[name]Maile[/name] (I like it except it is pn like [name]Miley[/name] ([name]Hannah[/name] [name]Montana[/name])
[name]Dylan[/name] (means from the sea, but too popular)
[name]Marina[/name] (word name, plus we live next to a [name]Marina[/name].)
[name]Sydney[/name] (too popular and don’t love place names)
[name]Matilda[/name] (I love, but hubby’s ex-girlfriend’s name so definitely OUT!)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

[name]Ashley[/name]

Sorry so long!

I’m not too good with these types of names, but [name]Bryony[/name], [name]Junia[/name] and [name]Soleil[/name] came to mind…
I’ll twist my brain for some more later :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about [name]Cora[/name] [name]Bronte[/name]?

And I think both [name]Kai[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] work. Maybe [name]Finn[/name] can be [name]Finnian[/name] or [name]Finley[/name]. Or if the [name]Finn[/name]/[name]Sawyer[/name] thing really bothers you, how about [name]Quinn[/name] and then find a Hawaiian/Australian/water/nature name for his middle.

From your list, I love [name]Cora[/name] (one of my favorites) and [name]Ciel[/name], but think that [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] are too [name]Tom[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Huck[/name] [name]Finn[/name] together.

Water-related names:

[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Nerissa[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name] (a bit close to [name]Isla[/name], though)
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Marisol[/name]
[name]Marin[/name]

[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Caspian[/name]

Literary names:

[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Salinger[/name]
[name]Tennyson[/name]
[name]Sinclair[/name]

[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Gulliver[/name]
[name]Quillen[/name]

Girls:

[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Ginevra[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Nerissa[/name] (literary plus water association)
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]

Random names I can picture with [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]August[/name]:

[name]Abbott[/name] (nn [name]Abe[/name])
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name] (nn [name]Finn[/name]…[name]Griffin[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name] feel less literary than [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name])
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]

Names that remind me of [name]Isla[/name]'s feminine feel:

[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]

I can also see [name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Lola[/name], or [name]Nell[/name]) with [name]Isla[/name], [name]August[/name], and [name]Sawyer[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think that [name]Coraline[/name] “[name]Cora[/name]” [name]Bronte[/name] would be beautiful, and it combines everything you are looking for in a name. I think that [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]Isla[/name], and [name]Coraline[/name] are very nice together, unless you wanted all the names to have the same syllables. I do think that [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] are too similar, even if you use [name]Finley[/name], and I don’t think [name]Kai[/name] fits in with the semi-classic feel of [name]August[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name].

Some others:

[name]Kendra[/name] - “Water [name]Baby[/name]”
[name]Tallulah[/name] - “Leaping Water”
[name]Sora[/name] - “[name]Sky[/name]”
[name]Avari[/name] - “From the [name]Sky[/name]” (This is pronounced like [name]Avery[/name]/[name]Avary[/name])
Teva - “Nature” ([name]Hence[/name] the shoe brand…)
[name]Tivona[/name] - “Nature Lover”
[name]Doria[/name] - “From the Sea”
[name]Muriel[/name] - “Sea [name]Bright[/name]”
[name]Avalon[/name] - “[name]Apple[/name] Island”
[name]Evia[/name] - “Greek Island”
[name]Kelsea[/name] - “Island of the Ships” ([name]Kelsey[/name] has a similar meaning.)

[name]Troy[/name] - “Water” (or “Footsoldier”)
[name]Sorley[/name] - “[name]Summer[/name] [name]Traveler[/name]”
Tivon - “Nature Lover”
[name]Dillan[/name] ([name]Dylan[/name]) - “[name]Son[/name] of the Sea”
[name]Ronan[/name] - “[name]Little[/name] [name]Seal[/name]”
[name]Hume[/name] - “From the [name]River[/name] Island”

Some great author names for either gender:

[name]Alcott[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Austen[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Crane[/name]
[name]Emerson[/name]
[name]Shaw[/name]
[name]Tennyson[/name]

(You could also use [name]Thatcher[/name] for [name]Judge[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name] (or [name]Becky[/name]) in [name]Huck[/name] [name]Finn[/name], or even Aunt [name]Polly[/name]! [name]Harper[/name] is a name used in The Adventures of [name]Tom[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name].)

A good name is dependent on your last name, but my favorites are [name]Coraline[/name] “[name]Cora[/name]” [name]Bronte[/name], [name]Avalon[/name] “[name]Ava[/name]” [name]Ciel[/name], [name]Avari[/name] “[name]Ari[/name]” [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] [name]Shaw[/name], [name]Austen[/name] [name]Sorley[/name], and [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Beckett[/name]…

Thanks [name]Lemon[/name]!

It posted my reply to lemon twice and can’t delete.

Thanks dearest. I like [name]Soleil[/name].

I like [name]Quinn[/name]. Thanks!

I have [name]Cora[/name] [name]Bronte[/name] on my list of possibles. Great minds think alike. :slight_smile:

What do you guys think about

[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]: pn [name]Emmaline[/name] - got it from The [name]Blue[/name] Lagoon with [name]Brooke[/name] Shields. I like [name]Elle[/name] for her nickname.

I like [name]Lilia[/name] [name]Bronte[/name] or [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Ciel[/name]. WDYT?

[name]Forrest[/name]

My husband suggested [name]Forrest[/name] last night. I like it, but do you think [name]Forrest[/name] Gump ruined this name?

We have also added these to our list. Thanks for your suggestions.

[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Soleil[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]

[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Emerson[/name] (boy)
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]

I don’t like [name]Emmeline[/name] with your other kids’ names as much, and [name]Lilia[/name] just looks like a misspelled [name]Lily[/name] to me - Sorry! Of the two, my favorite is [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Ciel[/name], but I would nickname her [name]Emme[/name] (M.E.)…

My favorites from your “new” list are [name]Coralie[/name] ([name]Bronte[/name]) and [name]Tallulah[/name] ([name]Harper[/name]), but I still really liked [name]Avalon[/name] “[name]Ava[/name]” [name]Ciel[/name].

Of your boy list, I think [name]Everett[/name] and [name]Beckett[/name] go best with [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]August[/name]. I do agree that [name]Forrest[/name] has been ruined by [name]Forrest[/name] Gump associations.

Best of luck!

[name]Ah[/name] I like a good theme.
[name]Beach[/name], summer, outdoors.

Girls:
[name]Sunday[/name]
Sundari (means beautiful)
Sunita

• Can all be shortened to [name]Sunny[/name]
    [name]Elanor[/name] (means sun star in Sindarin and [name]Sam[/name]'s daughters name in LOTR)
    [name]Alma[/name] (a river)
    [name]Delta[/name]
    [name]Isis[/name] (a nature God)
    [name]Diana[/name] ([name]Goddess[/name] of the hunt and nature)
    [name]Lani[/name] (means sky or heaven in Hawaiian)
    [name]Sora[/name] (Japanese for [name]Sky[/name])
    [name]Sandie[/name] (or anything that can be shortened to [name]Sandy[/name]/ie)
    [name]Amber[/name]
    [name]Daphne[/name]
    [name]Juniper[/name]
    [name]Kiri[/name]
    [name]Laurel[/name]
    [name]Lotus[/name]
    [name]Fern[/name]/[name]Fearne[/name]
    [name]Sorrel[/name]
    [name]Anthea[/name] (means Fower)
    [name]Tansy[/name] (type of flower)

Boys:
[name]Glenn[/name]
[name]Dene[/name] (With this spelling was an English word for [name]Valley[/name] and in some parts of [name]Scotland[/name] a name for a small stream)
[name]Dale[/name]
[name]Sol[/name]
[name]Aeron[/name] (A welsh river or the welsh for berry I think)
[name]Rio[/name]
[name]Trent[/name] (an English river)
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Lyndon[/name]
[name]Palmer[/name]
[name]Royce[/name] (From [name]Rose[/name])

Unisex:
[name]Brooke[/name]/s
[name]Jordan[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name]
[name]Sky[/name]/e
[name]Ash[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]

[name]Coralie[/name] - beautiful name, goes well with the siblings and a subtle nature-y theme
[name]Aurora[/name] - lovely! my favorite on this list invokes the beauty of sunrises, has spunky nn [name]Rory[/name] if you like - plus, [name]Isla[/name] gets her princess name! :slight_smile:
[name]Soleil[/name] - also nice. The nature theme is a little stronger here I think, so it depends on what you like. With [name]Isla[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]August[/name], the associations are strong to you but do not immediately jump out, at least to me. [name]Soleil[/name] is more direct imo.
[name]Tallulah[/name] - nms but I see its appeal.

[name]Hudson[/name] - really like this with [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]August[/name] - this is my favorite
[name]Emerson[/name] (boy) - I don’t like that it’s used by girls so much now but this may not bother you
[name]Everett[/name] - nice but not my favorite
[name]Beckett[/name] - cute! a second to [name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] - ok. It is used by girls too
[name]Griffin[/name] - I like [name]Griffin[/name] and I like the nn [name]Finn[/name] but I still think [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Finn[/name] is too much, even if [name]Finn[/name] is just the nickname.
[name]Forrest[/name] - I like this one but the nature theme is too overt imo (see [name]Soleil[/name]). I don’t think [name]Forrest[/name] Gump ruined it though.

My votes: [name]Aurora[/name] or [name]Coralie[/name] and [name]Hudson[/name] or [name]Beckett[/name].

[name]Lilia[/name]: I think it’s beautiful, but I also think it’s too close to [name]Isla[/name]. I know I’d personally get tongue-tied calling [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Lilia[/name] to dinner.

[name]Emmeline[/name]: I absolutely love this name, but with the long I sound , I think it’s too similar in sound to [name]Isla[/name], too. If you pronounce it [name]Emma[/name]-lyn or [name]Emma[/name]-leen, I can better see it with [name]Isla[/name].

From your combos, I like [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Bronte[/name] or [name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Ciel[/name] because [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Lilia[/name] are too close in sound to me.

[name]Forrest[/name]: I think it’s very handsome, but I unfortunately to still think of [name]Forrest[/name] Gump and the line, “Ruuuun, Faaaawr-rest! Run!”

I’d suggest [name]Forrester[/name] or [name]Fletcher[/name], but they have [name]Sawyer[/name]'s ending sound. Hmm…

[name]Coralie[/name]: I think this is so beautiful…
[name]Aurora[/name]: Ditto…
[name]Soleil[/name]: Very interesting…I can better see some of the others with [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]August[/name], though. (I’m wondering if [name]Soleil[/name] and [name]August[/name] create a too obvious [name]Summer[/name] theme…)
[name]Tallulah[/name]: I like some of the others better with [name]Isla[/name], because [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Tallulah[/name] share the same ending sound.

[name]Hudson[/name]: I think it’s a great name…
[name]Emerson[/name] (boy): I think it’s a handsome name, but it’s sadly more popular now on girls, which may or may not bother you.

[name]Everett[/name]: I love this name so much!
[name]Beckett[/name]: Very hansome…
[name]Quinn[/name]: I think it’s a great name, but I’m thinking it may be going to the girls…I like [name]Quinlan[/name], too…
[name]Griffin[/name]: I think it’s an awesome name!

I love so many of your names! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

My list updated:

[name]Bronte[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Ciel[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name]: [name]Isla[/name] insists that this remains on the list. :slight_smile:
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Soleil[/name]: I should have mentioned I only like this as a middle name b/c I agree that [name]August[/name] and [name]Soleil[/name] are too summery and I like the nature/ocean feeling without going overboard.
[name]Malu[/name] or [name]Malou[/name] (found this spelling in Beyond [name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aidan[/name])

[name]Tallulah[/name]: My husband doesn’t like it so its off the list.

[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Forrest[/name]

Added:

[name]Cullen[/name]: Hubby added it to the list today.
[name]Ridge[/name]: Ditto. (MIDDLE NAME ONLY) I couldn’t tell if he was serious, but I picked the other three’s first names, I told him he could pick this time within reason. :slight_smile:

Took [name]Emerson[/name] & [name]Quinn[/name] off. My husband doesn’t love either of them.

Thanks for all your help so far.

[name]Willow[/name] or [name]Willa[/name]

I’ve already commented a couple times, but I found some others that I wanted to throw out there to go with [name]August[/name], [name]Isla[/name], and [name]Sawyer[/name].

GIRL
[name]Dallas[/name] - “From the meadow dwelling”
[name]Mairi[/name] - “Sea of bitterness” - did you already nix this one?
[name]Marnie[/name] - “From the sea” - this sounds so cute with [name]Isla[/name]!

[name]Marnie[/name] [name]Ciel[/name] is my favorite here - it has a different end sound and flows well in my opinion!

[name]Beckett[/name] [name]Ridge[/name] - sounds like a park or something - is my favorite of your boy names! [name]Beckett[/name] [name]Hudson[/name] is also nice.

Beautiful names, love that each one means something special. Well first names come to mind are [name]Kai[/name], [name]Kaia[/name] (love this so pretty) and [name]Talula[/name].

Also [name]Nahla[/name] means water
[name]Summer[/name]
[name]Sorley[/name] (summer traveler)
[name]Autumn[/name]
[name]Winter[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Mariel[/name]
[name]Ula[/name]- sea

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Ashley[/name]

I am an Aussie and I can relate to all the things that you have mentioned. I hope you don’t mind my candid comments.

If you called your daughter Brontay phonetically over here it would seem a little prententious. I do like [name]Bronte[/name] though.

I like [name]Ciel[/name] it is a lovely name that goes well with [name]Isla[/name].

What a shame about [name]Matilda[/name], it is one of my favourites.

I do not like [name]Cora[/name] I suggest [name]Coralie[/name] or [name]Coral[/name].

[name]Sydney[/name] is a horrible name, old man for a guy and not regarded as a girl’s name at all here. Another of my dislikes is [name]Dylan[/name] because of the ‘dill’ (dopey) factor.

Did you go to Lilyfield? If so [name]Lily[/name] would work and is great with [name]Isla[/name].

I really like [name]Kai[/name] I would definitely keep this on my list.

[name]Marina[/name] is a lovely name but I wouldn’t use it with [name]Isla[/name]. [name]Malu[/name] may have been cute on the little girl but it seems very unisex, not attractive to me.

[name]Finn[/name] teamed with [name]Sawyer[/name] in the first name position would seem a bit corny although you could use [name]Finnegan[/name]/[name]Finley[/name]/[name]Finn[/name] as a middle name.

At the moment I am stuck on [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] so I will have to have a think and come up with something else.

Did you meet on [name]St[/name] [name]Patrick[/name]'s [name]Day[/name]? [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Finnegan[/name].

I have just thought of a great name, [name]Cruz[/name] I think it fits the theme without being too matchy.

[name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Cruz[/name], [name]Isla[/name] and [name]August[/name].

For a daughter

[name]Avalon[/name] after [name]Avalon[/name] [name]Beach[/name].

[name]Isla[/name], [name]Avalon[/name],[name]Sawyer[/name], [name]August[/name].

also

[name]Nerissa[/name]
[name]Marnie[/name] Nice
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Erin[/name] after town of [name]Erina[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name] calm sea
[name]Blythe[/name]

My favourite is [name]Avalon[/name].