Help!

I am due soon, and I have baby name fatigue! I have an international family, so I like names that can be pronounced in several languages easily. Here is my name list:

[name]Violetta[/name] - family name. everyone pronounces this differently. i say it the italian way, vyo-letta, as in adding “etta” to viola. i think vee-o-letta is nice too, although choppier. but when i say it, people come back with “oh, i love vie-o-letta!” which is not the name. will this end up being an annoying for her?

[name]Tallulah[/name] - i’ve adored this name for many years, and would call her [name]Lula[/name]. but where i live (brooklyn), i feel like this trendy & worry that in the future, she will have a flash in the pan sounding name. granted, i plan on moving, but don’t want to end up sounding dated. thoughts?

[name]Capucine[/name] - a french flower name (capu-seen). when i say this, no one has an preconceptions. but no one says it’s beautiful either… seems that it’s just foreign sounding. no one thinks “capuccino” when i say it, just when they read it.

[name]Priscilla[/name] - i think this is such a pretty name, but it gets such a love/hate reaction. very opposite, people are either thinking oh, it’s like a beautiful princess, or they think it is harsh and ugly sounding.

[name]Penelope[/name] - a lot of people really like this, and i added it b/c when i went to buy truffles, i was so taken with the “penelope” that i bought despite the flavor. haha*

[name]Helena[/name] - (heh-lay-na) everyone is very “meh” on this one, but i kind of like it! is it boring?

the last name is Eim

open to suggestions as well!!

thank you!!!

I really like a lot of your options! [name]Violetta[/name] and [name]Helena[/name] are my favorites, but I love [name]Capucine[/name], too. [name]Violetta[/name] is probably my favorite, I think–I love that it’s so frilly and I think people will eventually catch on, especially when you say, “This is my daughter, [name]Violetta[/name]” or whatever. [name]Helena[/name] is so classic and I love it a lot. It almost seems too classic for your other choices, though.

I love the idea of [name]Capucine[/name], too–my best friend used to know this little girl named [name]Capucine[/name]… I never met her, but I’ve seen home videos of her, and they’re absolutely hilarious. I don’t think I’ve ever met such a funny little girl. They call her Capu, which I think is too cute for words! It seems to be fairly well known in [name]France[/name] (which is where this little girl is), but not as well-known in the US. I think it’s quite stunning, though. :slight_smile: I kind of like the idea of [name]Violetta[/name] [name]Capucine[/name] or [name]Capucine[/name] [name]Helena[/name], too–I don’t know if those interest you or not. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

[name]Violetta[/name] - I’ve never heard it pronounced vye-oh-lett-a, with a long “i” sound in the beginning. I’m fairly certain it’s vee-oh-LEH-ta in Italian (I don’t even think Italian has the English long I sound) and the same pronunciation in Spanish but spelled with one t. If you’re planning on pronouncing it so the beginning sounds like [name]Viola[/name], expect confusion. Otherwise I think it’s absolutely stunning, one of my personal favorites.

[name]Tallulah[/name] - Yes, definitely very [name]Brooklyn[/name] hipster. I wouldn’t bat an eye meeting a little [name]Tallulah[/name] in [name]Brooklyn[/name] or some affluent [name]Long[/name] Island suburb, but I’d be absolutely gobsmacked to find one in my own middle class, mostly Hispanic neighborhood. [name]Tallulah[/name] is extremely trendy in very limited circles- on nameberry, for example. It doesn’t register in popularity because it doesn’t have wide-ranging appeal, but it does sound as trendy to me as [name]Kinley[/name], just in a much different way. I’m not really a [name]Tallulah[/name] fan, though. I like [name]Lula[/name], but [name]Tallulah[/name] just seems like it’s trying too hard.

[name]Capucine[/name] - Whether or not people tell you so, I’m pretty sure everyone associates this with Cappuccino, at least a little bit. I like this name anyway.

[name]Priscilla[/name] - It’s not uncommon where I live, and I really like it. For some reason I’m not a huge fan of the way it looks written down, but I love the sound.

[name]Penelope[/name] - Like [name]Tallulah[/name], I think this is just a bit much. A little over the top for my taste, but it’s gaining popularity and people on nameberry seem to love it so maybe that’s just me.

[name]Helena[/name]- I love the huh-[name]LAY[/name]-na pronunciation; it’s by far my favorite. Like [name]Violetta[/name], this will cause problems, but I think both names are worth it.

From favorite to least favorite: [name]Violetta[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name], [name]Capucine[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Penelope[/name]

I don’t think the original poster meant that the Italian pronunciation was with a long I – I think she was just trying to indicate phonetically that she pronounced the “vio” as one smooshed syllable rather than two. [name]Violetta[/name] is very pretty, and the fact that it is a family name might put it over the top for me!

Yes, [name]Tallulah[/name] does have a strong hipster vibe. I don’t know if it will date too quickly, but it seems very different to me from your other choices.

I think you will have a hard time getting American people to use the French pronunciation for [name]Capucine[/name] when the “ch” sound of cappucino is so familiar. I will also confess that it makes me think of capuchin monkeys.

I prefer the HEL-ena pronunciation, but yours is nice too. I don’t see anything boring about it, really.

[name]Priscilla[/name] does not seem harsh to me at all. The only thing I don’t love about it is that [name]Prissy[/name] seems like a really hard nickname to avoid. But in my area this name feels quite underused.

I have nothing negative to say about [name]Penelope[/name], but it is one of the more common names recently in my circles. But it’s great, so there’s a reason for that.

My choices in order: [name]Violetta[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Priscilla[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Capucine[/name]

All your name choices are very nice. Here is what I think:

[name]Violetta[/name]- the way you want to pronounce this name like viola seems so confusing to me. You will have to correct ppl constantly. [name]Violet[/name] is very popular where I live. I do love the nn option of [name]Etta[/name]. Overal a great name if you pronounce it vee- oh-letta.

[name]Tallulah[/name]- there are more [name]Tallulah[/name]'s in LA than isabella’s and sophia’s combined so it seems tired to me.

Capuccine- I went to school with a French girl who was named this and we ALL called her cappucino also there is a lack of nn.

[name]Helena[/name]- I love he-[name]Lay[/name]-na. It’s very classic and under used.

[name]Pricilla[/name]- is a great name I think this name would stand out but not date or seem trendy.

[name]Penelope[/name]- I like this name but I worry that it is getting super pop. three of my friends have named their babies [name]Penelope[/name] in the last year.

Suggestions:
[name]June[/name]/ [name]Juno[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Anais[/name]
Evaluna
[name]Azalea[/name]

I love your suggestions & comments, so thorough & well thought out ~ a big help!! Yes, I meant exactly what l in boston wrote "trying to indicate phonetically that she pronounced the “vio” as one smooshed syllable rather than two". I don’t mind when people say “V” -oletta, ryhiming with “bee”. I’m just not crazy about how people say it like “eye” as in eyeball… I’m actually thinking of [name]Viola[/name] now, maybe that’s easier? I just don’t want her to have to constantly deal with correcting people.

And I love the suggestions, so beautiful!! I’m going to print these, and then when I look at her little face I will decide which one is right! Thank you & any more thoughts and suggestions are welcome!!

I love your suggestions & comments, so thorough & well thought out ~ a big help!! Yes, I meant exactly what l in boston wrote "trying to indicate phonetically that she pronounced the “vio” as one smooshed syllable rather than two". I don’t mind when people say “V” -oletta a bit choppier, ryhming with “bee”. I’m just not crazy about how many people say it to rhyme “eye” as in eyeball… I’m actually thinking of [name]Viola[/name] now, maybe that’s easier? And I could call her [name]Violetta[/name], my little [name]Viola[/name]? I just don’t want her to have to constantly deal with correcting people.

I love the flower name suggestions, so beautiful!! I’m going to print these lists, and then when I look at her little face I will decide which one is right! Thank you & any more thoughts and suggestions are welcome!!

[name]Violetta[/name]: I admit, I would’ve pronounced it exactly WRONG. I cannot get the hang of the Italian pronunciation, and I hate the other pronunciation.

[name]Tallulah[/name]: I like this name, and it’s established so I wouldn’t say it was only a trendy name. [name]Just[/name] an older name that regaining popularity. But I think you have better options.

[name]Capucine[/name]: I do read cappuccino a little bit, but anybody familiar with her would quickly overcome this. And she may have to correct pronunciation but likewise I think people will get the hang of it. However, she will always have it butchered by telemarketers the whole of her adult life.

[name]Priscilla[/name]: It’s not my favorite, and I even have positive associations with it. I have an internet friend I’ve known for many years now with that name, and she’s a wonderful lady, great sense of humor, great mom, and she’s beautiful! Those are the qualities I attach with the name.

[name]Penelope[/name]: I do like this one a lot, and it has several possible nn’s. [name]Penny[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Pen[/name].

[name]Helena[/name]: I pronounce it the same as you, and this one is my most favorite on your list. I don’t think it’s at all boring. I find it timeless and sophisticated!