Help!

Sorry for the frantic title, but my mom just surprised me with a dog. Now, it’s a German Shepard and one I know very well already. But, one issue. I gave her a joke name until adopted. Her name is Pompy, like Pom-Pom. Two issues, actually. Me and my parents cannot decide on a name whatsoever. I like Zelda or Luna, or Ambrosia, Bee and something cool like that. However, my mom likes names like Oona or something traditional like that. I personally dislike these names and I need a good middle. Any ideas?

I think [name_f]Nala[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_u]Leslie[/name_u], or [name_u]Nev[/name_u] could be cute!

Unless I’ve got the details wrong, why not Pomeline or Pomona so she doesn’t have to change her name much? Or Paloma or Penelope - can use Poppy/Penny and/or Pom-Pom? Even a name with an M in it like Uma or Romy.

1 Like

i love luna!

if you’re looking to compromise with something more traditional in mind, i’d recommend names like:

nora
babe
grace/gracie
sunny/sunshine
bonnie
winnie

maybe something like those? i feel like virtue names generally make good pet names, especially for people looking for something more traditional. happy to recommend more options along these lines if you like the vibe but don’t like these particular ones!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], we can’t do that because my sister’s nickname is [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] and her real name is one you listed, so we have to do something different, assuming she listens to her name

Thanks for the suggestions! We ended up keeping Pompy OR doing [name_f]Bee[/name_f] (love this name it’s so cute)

I would just use [name_f]Pomeline[/name_f] or [name_f]Pomona[/name_f] or another name that gets you to Pom-Pom (which is a very cute nickname). This is all depending on how long the dog has been called Pom-Pom, and how tricky it’ll find changing it?

If you do think it’ll be hard/confusing, other names that might not be a big leap (where Pom-Pom can be used and slowly adjusted to other nicknames if preferred): Pomposo, [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], [name_u]Romy[/name_u], [name_u]Domino[/name_u], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], [name_f]Philomena[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], Neomie, Romola/Romella, [name_f]Tomasina[/name_f] (eg Pom-Pom to Tom-Tom to Tomasina). Good luck!

Thank you for the well wishes! She doesn’t know her name yet, so we’re open to anything :slight_smile: thanks for the suggestions!

I get it now!

Besides those names I listed, you could also use a [name_m]German[/name_m] name just for fun because she’s an Alsatian dog:

[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Frieda[/name_f]
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f] / [name_f]Ursa[/name_f]
Elkie
[name_f]Gretel[/name_f]
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f]
[name_f]Adela[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Leni[/name_f]