Henry: too "expected"?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all,

We just found out we are having a boy! First time mom, super thrilled.

We had girls names chosen but are left in the dark when it comes to boys. The only one DH is leaning towards is [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. I love it. But, with it’s popularity on the rise will it seem boring and expected (as in people could have guessed he would be another [name_m]Henry[/name_m]).

Thoughts please!

thoughts anyone?

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] is a great name. I wouldn’t worry about popularity. [name_m]Just[/name_m] chose what you and your husband love.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] is a really great name, it might be quite popular but it’s not boring so I’d say go for it
You can always spice it up with a more unusual middle

That depends on where you are. I would expect [name_m]Henry[/name_m] to be popular amongst urban hipsters and suburban yuppies. I live in a very conservative college town, and I’ve yet to meet any little boys named [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

I haven’t met anyone named [name_m]Henry[/name_m] in my entire life. Though I live right outside of a really “hippie,” artsy area, and the popular boy names where I’m at is names that [name_f]Angelina[/name_f] [name_f]Jolie[/name_f] uses: [name_m]Maddox[/name_m], [name_u]Pax[/name_u]… people even expanded into [name_u]Paxton[/name_u]. A while back ago I said that I liked the name [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and people was all “ew, that’s an old-fashioned name.” I defended it by saying that it’s the name of [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] VIII (my favorite [name_m]King[/name_m]), and a character on the show “Once Upon a Time.” People then started to see the qualities of [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

Where I live, I say the name [name_m]Henry[/name_m] would be quite unexpected. I say keep [name_m]Henry[/name_m] on the list, it’s a good solid name, and I feel that it isn’t going to be as popular as you think it is. I know [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is in the 37 spot, but if you check ourbabynamer you’ll find that means about 8,000 baby boys was named [name_m]Henry[/name_m] in the year 2013. That really isn’t much when you think about the WHOLE country.

If you want to compare that number with a HUGELY popular name. I’ll tell you that 17,000 baby girls was named [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] last year, 19,000 was before that, and 22,000 before that (this isn’t taking into account all the [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] variations). If you would rather compare [name_m]Henry[/name_m] to a more popular boy name instead of a girl name, might I point out the very trendy [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] names. 13,000 Aidens was born just last year, 14,000 was born the year before, and [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] peaked in the year 2009 with 15,995 baby boy Aidens born. And again, this isn’t taken into all the [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] MANY [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] variations out there right now.

I think you can’t go wrong with [name_m]Henry[/name_m], it’s timeless, has loads of history to it, and isn’t trending all over the place right now. Mostly people are into boy names that end in the letter N right now, so I don’t think [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is going to explode with popularity.

If you want some suggestions I’ll thought a few names out here: [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_m]Amos[/name_m], [name_m]Job[/name_m], [name_m]Orson[/name_m], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] ([name_u]Toby[/name_u])

I have a son named [name_m]Henry[/name_m], so my comment may be biased:
I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. It has so much class, and we’ve received nothing but compliments on it. We’ve also never known someone else named [name_m]Henry[/name_m] aside from the man he’s named after. I think if you go for [name_m]Henry[/name_m] as his first name you can give him a great, unexpected middle name (avoid the common ones like [name_u]James[/name_u]) and still get that same spunk factor when you announce his name to the world.

I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m], but I know what you mean. I would still use it, but here are a few alternatives:

[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Albert[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Adam[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]

I would stick [name_m]Henry[/name_m] in the middle spot. I’m a history major, and all I can think of are His [name_u]Majesty[/name_u]'s many, many wives. But if you want to keep it in first place, maybe pair it with a spunkier, more modern middle?

I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. Popularity for boys doesn’t matter as much. I would pair it with a slightly more quirky middle name if you are worried and you could always use that if you really regret using [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. I would worry less about its popularity since it is a classic and it’s always been relatively popular vs a super trendy name that was unheard of before and just shot up making it more likely to be dated in the future

I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m] too, but I’ve decided we can’t use it because I [name_f]DO[/name_f] know a TON of [name_m]Henry[/name_m]'s. I know at least 5 under age 4, most friends of kids that I went to high school or college with and they live all over the midwest.

You are right, [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is quite popular. however, if it is a name you both love and can agree on, I saw go for it! It’s a great name. To me it is classy and timeless, but playful and fun :slight_smile:

It depends where you are. Here in [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], people are making jokes about the ubiquity of little boys named [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. Close runners-up: [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], [name_u]Luca[/name_u] or [name_m]Lucas[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], and [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]–which incredibly doesn’t even make the top 1000 nationwide. All of these are great names, of course, but they’ve become very predictable hereabouts. Somewhere else though they might all be pretty unusual.

I agree with most of the comments. Yes, it’s popular. It depends on where you live. I know SEVERAL little Henrys. I still love [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. I probably wouldn’t use it due to it being popular in my circle (includes midwest, west and east coasts and the south…). It does somewhat break my heart because I do love it, but popularity is very important to me. If it’s not as important to you, then I’d say use it anyway if you love it.

If you do use it, I like the suggestion of using a spunkier, less predictable middle name… or vice versa if you want to use [name_m]Henry[/name_m] as a middle name. I love [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] ([name_u]Gus[/name_u]), [name_m]Miles[/name_m]/[name_m]Milo[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Miles[/name_m]/[name_m]Milo[/name_m], or [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_u]August[/name_u].

It is a very handsome name, and yes extremely popular, but it is a strong classic name so if you love it - go for it.

No, I don’t think [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is boring. It wasn’t popular in my age group and I only know one little boy named [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. Check your state standing for [name_m]Henry[/name_m] too… it may be less (or more) popular in your area than you think. Personally names I find “boring” are names that were popular in my generation!

Anyway, I think [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is a charming name!

I agree with the others–I can see your worry. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m], though, and would be happy to meet someone with the name! Maybe ask around in your area, see what the general perception of it is? If [name_m]Henry[/name_m]'s popular in your area, it might give that general impression, but, like others have said, it might be refreshing! I’ve only heard [name_m]Henry[/name_m] called once in passing to a little boy who was at the restaurant where I work. I would be delighted to meet a little [name_m]Henry[/name_m]; I think it’s fantastic. It’s so classic and yet it’s got some quirk. I love it a lot.