Hermione - is she too Potter?

Hello hello :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] a quick question - is [name]Hermione[/name] usable as a FN nowadays, or is she too tied to [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] to work?

As a side note, this would be a potential name for me, a teenberry. I actually found out about the name via Greek mythology around the same time I really got into the HP universe, but I do realize that most non-berries would jump straight to the “oh you’re so quaint, you named yourself after that [name]Granger[/name] girl” conclusion. A plus is that Hermione is a great role model and I love the books.

Thoughts? :slight_smile:

Wasn’t she the name of the daughter of [name]Helen[/name] of [name]Troy[/name]? I think it is a lovely name and if you like it just ignore people who may think you choose it because of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name].

Ok, yes, [name]Hermione[/name] is VERY [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. I’ve never heard of the name before or after [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], and I doubt most non-Nameberry folk have either. If you are worried that people will associate the name [name]Hermione[/name] too strongly with [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], you are exactly right. Not enough time has passed and [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] was too big a hit for too long (It took 10 years to make all the movies, let alone the books!) Maybe in another 10 years it might be different, but I don’t know. Anybody in their 20’s or teens is going to have an extremely strong association with HP.

Now, should that deter you from using the name? I don’t think so. It’s not for me, but if you want to use it for yourself, I think it’s fabulous. [name]Just[/name] be prepared for the inevitable HP comments, because you [name]WILL[/name] get them. :slight_smile:

People generally wouldn’t have heard of the name before HP (I myself prn it Her-moyne at the age of 10 or something). People will associate it with HP but who cares - thanks to HP they actually know how to say it!

I love it myself, and I know one (she’s mid-20s so pre HP).

[name]Clio[/name] [name]Hermione[/name] is my combo of the day.

Yes this is absolutely a [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] name & despite it having any other background it would come off very HP superfan imo. Like saying your name is Rennesme Cullena, but you’ve never read Twilight.

Maybe [name]Calliope[/name], [name]Hera[/name] or [name]Ariadne[/name] from your signature would work? I think [name]Hermione[/name] is attractive because of a strong character, but not very appealing sounding.

Bumping :slight_smile:

I think that the connection is inescapable, but [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] seems to be generally pretty well-liked and the character of [name]Hermione[/name] is a really positive one, so it’s not as if it’s a negative association. I agree that you should be prepared for comments but that you shouldn’t be put off of the name. If the comments get especially irritating you could always point out [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s [name]Hermione[/name] or the [name]Hermione[/name] in Greek mythology. [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] will always been the foremost association in most people’s minds, but at least there ARE other cultural associations, unlike something like [name]Renesmee[/name].

The association is probably going to be quite strong but as others have said there are also older associations, Greek mythology and [name]Shakespeare[/name].

I fully intend on using [name]Hermione[/name] as a first name. If people can name their daughters [name]Alice[/name] (I always think In Wonderland,always) why not [name]Hermione[/name]? She’s a good character after all and it is a beautiful name :slight_smile: