Hidden gem or well hidden?

What do you think of [name]Minnie[/name]? I’ve just finishing reading a [name]Sophie[/name] Kinsella novel and it is her daughters name.

Couple of Qs…

Does it scream [name]Minnie[/name] mouse?
What sort of child do you imagine to be called [name]Minnie[/name]?
Is it too old fashioned?
Can she stand alone?
What would be a good middle name?

Personally, I wouldn’t name a girl [name]Minnie[/name]. It seems like a nickname to me and is forever associated with [name]Mickey[/name]'s other half. Proper names for [name]Minnie[/name] are [name]Wilhelmina[/name], [name]Minetta[/name] and [name]Minerva[/name] (my fav).

I like the name [name]Minnie[/name]. I had a friend growing up who went by [name]Minnie[/name]/[name]Min[/name]. Her real name is [name]Amelia[/name] and her parents wanted her to have the nn [name]Millie[/name], but her little sister had trouble saying the "l"s, so [name]Millie[/name] became [name]Minnie[/name].

• To me, the name doesn’t automatically scream [name]Minnie[/name] Mouse (though I love a good Disney reference).
  • I think the name [name]Minnie[/name] suits a feminine girl who enjoys girly things, but has a hint of spunk and sass.
  • I don’t think [name]Minnie[/name] is too old-fashioned. I actually think it has kind of a fresh feel to it.
  • I don’t know about the name standing alone. I think it is nice when paired with a longer or more formal first name. That way, as the child gets older, they can choose which name to go by. For example, my friend who went by [name]Minnie[/name] when she was little is now only called that by her family and close friends. She uses [name]Amelia[/name] for professional situations/her job.
  • Hmm…middle names for [name]Minnie[/name]. None are popping into my head, but I think it would need a short, one syllable, middle name.

[name]Hi[/name]! Does [name]Minnie[/name] scream [name]Minnie[/name] Mouse? No, actually it makes me think of [name]Minnie[/name] Driver (b. [name]Amelia[/name]). Is it too old-fashioned? No. [name]Minnie[/name] is no more old fashioned than [name]Agnes[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name], and both of those, especially [name]Hazel[/name], are coming back. What sort of child do I imagine when I hear [name]Minnie[/name]? One with spunk and charisma, an energetic, loud, open child with a bright imagination - maybe a bit of a sassy drama queen. Would it make a good middle name? Hm, I don’t think so. It would be like naming someone [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Maisie[/name], which I think is a bit too cutesy. And, finally, and most importantly, can it stand alone? If you’re asking me, I’d say no. No, no, no. A child called [name]Minnie[/name] needs a fall-back name that can be taken a little seriously. Maybe it works for [name]Minnie[/name] Driver, but she’s always got [name]Amelia[/name] to fall back on should she grow tired of [name]Minnie[/name]. Then again, I’m the kind of person who would say no to [name]Missy[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Hattie[/name], [name]Dottie[/name], [name]Nellie[/name], [name]Winnie[/name], [name]Annie[/name], [name]Becky[/name], [name]Frankie[/name], and [name]Georgie[/name], too. I’d argue that you should use [name]Melissa[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Helen[/name], [name]Winifred[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Frances[/name], or [name]Georgina[/name] and let you child decide if she wants to go by her nickname.

So, what would I recommend? [name]Jessamine[/name]. You get [name]Minnie[/name] for a cutesy, playful, at-home nickname. You get [name]Jessie[/name] for a youthful, energetic, spunky nickname, befitting of a tomboy. You get [name]Jessa[/name] for an elegant, romantic, modern nickname, befitting of a feminine girl. And, you get [name]Jessamine[/name], a unique, whimsical, name with vintage flair and natural - it means “jasmine” - appeal.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I actually have an aunt named [name]Minnie[/name] (not her real name), so it doesn’t seem old fashioned. I think it would make an adorable nickname, but it’s way too cutesy to stand alone. I love it as a nickname for [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Araminta[/name], [name]Minerva[/name], [name]Amina[/name], [name]Philomena[/name], and even [name]Tamsin[/name].

[name]Minnie[/name] actually makes me think of [name]Minnie[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] a country comedienne who appear at the Grand [name]Ole[/name] Opry and on Hee Haw for years. That connection may not be common or universal but it’s one to consider when picking middle names.

I heard the name [name]Minnie[/name] as a nn for [name]Clementine[/name]…Cle-"[name]MIN[/name]" tine…

I love the name [name]Minnie[/name]. It was my Great-Grandmother’s nickname (her full name was [name]Mina[/name]), I think it works best as a nickname, because it does seem a little juvenile to me (maybe because of it’s similarity to “mini”).

Does it scream [name]Minnie[/name] mouse? Nope. When I hear [name]Minnie[/name], I don’t immediately think of [name]Minnie[/name] Mouse. And even if I did, it’s not that bad of an association.
What sort of child do you imagine to be called [name]Minnie[/name]? A spunky little girl whose somewhere in the middle of girly girl and tomboy.
Is it too old fashioned? Definitely not. I think it’s on track with the vintage nicknames and vintage names in general.
Can she stand alone? I think it does need a longer name.
What would be a good middle name? That would depend on the longer name you chose for it. If you were to just go with [name]Minnie[/name] alone I would pair it with something more traditional, like [name]Minnie[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Minnie[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]. But then that sounds like you’re saying “mini-[name]Elizabeth[/name]”… so I’m not too sure what you would do in that case.

I love [name]Lemon[/name]'s suggestion of using [name]Jessamine[/name]. You get a long, pretty name with a spunky, uncommon nickname. Plus lots of fall back nicknames ([name]Jess[/name], [name]Jessie[/name], [name]Jessa[/name]) if [name]Minnie[/name] doesn’t fit. I also love the name [name]Minerva[/name], though that might be too musty for most people. Another name that comes to mind is [name]Araminta[/name], which would give you [name]Minnie[/name] as a nickname, as well as [name]Ara[/name] and [name]Ari[/name] (and [name]Minty[/name] if you liked that).

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

[name]Minnie[/name] doesn’t really scream mouse to me like [name]Mickey[/name] does. Actually I had a friend get a pet mouse, and she named it [name]Minnie[/name], and it took me like a week to figure out why she picked that. I guess I would be hesitant about giving [name]Minnie[/name] as a full name incase the mouse thing does it up being an issue, and she doesn’t want to deal with it. Although I don’t really like it itself, I’m kind of feeling the [name]Wilhelmina[/name] idea. Mostly because you get [name]Minnie[/name], but you could also get [name]Willa[/name] which is feel is a great name. I also like the [name]Clementine[/name] idea.

[name]Hi[/name],

[name]Just[/name] had to chime in here! I go by [name]Minnie[/name] (full name is Minuette pn min-you-et-eh) and have done since I was a child. I should probably say that I picked up the nickname Mousie in college and that has stuck with certain people although this doesn’t bother me. I have also gone as Minute Minuette/Minute [name]Minnie[/name] (I should probably add that I am very short). The [name]Minnie[/name] Mouse thing comes up every now and again but not as often as you may think. The few people who mention it tend to react with “what like the mouse?” I say yes then they drop it. It has never been a big deal to me! I found the mispronounciation of my full name to be more tiresome as a child.

To answer your questions:

It doesn’t scream [name]Minnie[/name] Mouse to me but I ended up with the Mousie nn from somewhere…

Small, petite, smart, quiet but gutsy

I don’t think of it as old fashioned at all

I’m not sure that it can stand alone - I think that would be a bit tough to carry. I hardly ever used my full name as a child because no-one ever said it right and it irritated me! (I do love my name though - always have and have reverted to using it more often as an adult). I also think an adult would struggle professionally if their full name was [name]Minnie[/name]. So, I’ll add the suggestion of Minuette to the list!

I do agree that what ever middle name you use will look like you are describing a mini version of a name… My middle name is [name]Cherie[/name] if that help at all… [name]Do[/name] you like any of the previous suggestions of longer names? If so I can suggest some middles for them.

Good [name]Luck[/name]
[name]Minnie[/name]

I know “of” one [name]Minnie[/name]. She is my midwife’s daughter and is 6. No. I don’t think “[name]Minnie[/name]” screams “Mouse” but some will make that connection. I wouldn’t let that, in and of itself, exclude the name. Having said that, I think [name]Minnie[/name] is one of those “nickname” names that just doesn’t stand well on her own like [name]Tess[/name], [name]Molly[/name], [name]Amy[/name], [name]Cindy[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Ginger[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], etc. Traditionally, [name]Minnie[/name] is the “pet” form of [name]Wilhelmina[/name]. Now, I’m not sure that really translates well for American parents. I find [name]Wilhelmina[/name] a bit stuffy. But [name]Minnie[/name] can also be a “pet” name for [name]Mary[/name]. I think it could especially work if you use a “min” middle name.

[name]Mary[/name] [name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Philomena[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Irene[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Regina[/name]