Hilary/Hillary

With [name]Blythe[/name] being on my mind lately due to recent posts on Nameberry, I’ve been thinking about other happy names, and remembered [name]Hilary[/name]/[name]Hillary[/name], which means “cheerful/happy.”

I then realized that [name]Hilary[/name] is a name we never seem to suggest on Nameberry, even as middle name option.

Here’s what [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] wrote about [name]Hilary[/name]:

“[name]Hilary[/name] (also spelled with two 'l’s) is a hot potato of a name, so closely identified with [name]Sen[/name]. [name]Clinton[/name] that it’s hard for most parents to see it as a baby name. A pity, really, as it’s got so much going for it: the popular, rhythmic three-syllable structure, the fact that it’s strong but light, proper but jaunty, with an irresistible meaning – having the same root as hilarious.”

I’m just curious as to what you all think about this name and why you like or dislike it.
:slight_smile:

I really like it, and I don’t mind its association, but I mind others’ association. If her name was something common like [name]Catherine[/name], people wouldn’t have the same issue, as it would have other associations for them. [name]Hillary[/name] is not exactly “there’s only one [name]Aretha[/name]”-unique, but she is known by first name only as if she’s the only one you need to talk about — unlike male politicians, I might also add. And too many people react with complete revulsion.

This name can be used with caution, if you have a kind of bulletproof confidence, ‘They have the same name, what’s your point?’ Most people would rather avoid confrontation. Some people will stand up for their choices. It’s a fine name, and I’m not one to suggest settling on a lesser choice and living a life of some amount of regret like that.

People who have negative associations with the persona are going to have negative associations with the name (for their own children), that’s just self-explanatory, and a direct result of constantly being referred to in the media by her first name, like [name]Cher[/name] or [name]Madonna[/name]. If your family is politically divided or you maintain residence in a red state with your own blue state leanings, it could be more of an issue than some places. I could picture a little [name]Hillary[/name] not getting too much flack here in [name]Boston[/name]. This is not my favorite name, so I have good enough reason to bypass trouble, but I wish more people would consider it and help boost the image by more positive associations for people who only know the one and dislike her.

The SSA reports the name [name]Hillary[/name] began sharp decline in 1992, dropping 130 spots in one year, and 306 spots the following year. It has spent time below the top 1000 since then, but has jumped 246 places last year, from 961 to 715th most popular name for girls, amounting to 411 named in the year 2008, and neighboring other names like [name]Janet[/name], [name]Susan[/name], [name]Mollie[/name], [name]Phoenix[/name], [name]Destiney[/name], and [name]Katrina[/name]. The name [name]Hilary[/name] hasn’t charted since it fell off in 1993 - it sunk like a stone, really from high 200s to low 600s and disappeared - despite possible rescue by Hilarys [name]Duff[/name] and Swank and the slight change in spelling exactly like La [name]Clinton[/name]. [name]Both[/name] [name]Hilaria[/name] and [name]Hilario[/name] rank quite low, [name]Hilaria[/name] not at all, ever, and [name]Hilario[/name] occasionally bobbing up above 1000, but not very far. I think in this case, it rhymes too much with hilarious and hilarity, and more likely choice by Latinos, but obviously not a lot.

I agree, [name]Karen[/name].

I think I first thought of the name when I saw Beaches, so part a huge part of me still associates the name with [name]Barbara[/name] Hershey’s elegant character, [name]Hillary[/name] [name]Whitney[/name] [name]Essex[/name]. To a lesser degree, I think of [name]Hilary[/name] [name]Duff[/name] and [name]Hilary[/name] Swank, too.

But, indeed, [name]Hillary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] is my main association with the name. I happen to think she’s brilliant, so while I’m not bothered by the association, I still think I’d feel more comfortable for now suggesting it as a middle name.

I, too, would love to see it used more, though! I think it has a wonderful meaning and cheerful sound. :slight_smile:

I had some edititis - so much info on the SSA. I was thinking maybe it’s not really Ms. [name]Clinton[/name], but that the name just isn’t as stylish as name trends go. I mean, probably not, the SSA stats don’t lie. It peaked at 131 on a clear upward trend in 1992 and fell off complete by ten years’ time, resurfaced and is beginning a slight recovery just within the last year.

It’s probably not the right time or place, but hey. [name]Valerie[/name] is a good name! It means ‘strong.’ It sounds a lot like [name]Hillary[/name] without being the same name. I do enjoy [name]Hillary[/name] a lot and that it means happy, that is a very good meaning.

It seems like [name]Hillary[/name]/[name]Hilary[/name] tanked right after [name]Hillary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] came to national attention in 1992. It (unfortunately) makes perfect sense to me.

Great research, [name]Karen[/name]! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Hilary[/name] with one “l”. Its [name]Clinton[/name] association would push past it’s [name]Duff[/name] and Swank tie and for that I probably wouldn’t use it. Of course I know it would never get the approval of my other half anyway. I brought this name up the other night only to hear “what like [name]Hillary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name]?” If there is anyway a name can be made fun of he’ll find it.

[name]Hilary[/name] does remind me of [name]Valerie[/name] and also like [name]Mallory[/name]. Of course Family Ties comes first to mind with the name [name]Mallory[/name]. We had a young 20ish waitress who bore this name and she was quite pretty. I don’t think it was [name]Justine[/name] Bateman or her character who made me not like this name for a while but rather her dimwitted boyfriend. He said her name like [name]Rocky[/name] Balboa belting out [name]Adrienne[/name], another name I’d like to see more of. Of course thanks to my pick it apart and knock it down DH [name]Adrienne[/name] or [name]Adrian[/name] will never be a relation of mine :frowning:

I like the name [name]Hillary[/name] a lot. But then I love names that create an image of a strong independent woman, which [name]Sen[/name]. [name]Clinton[/name] definitely did, whether you agree with her or not. I think it really has alot going for it as a girls name. A little [name]Hailey[/name], a little [name]Emory[/name]… Has some of the cound of the trendy names, without being trendy, and a strong woman image.

i adore the name [name]Hilary[/name].
it’s best with one L and i’d definitely consider using it…
i don’t think of [name]Sen[/name]. [name]Clinton[/name]… i actually associate this name with a girl i went to school with… (kind of preppy, popular, sweet, very pretty… fun to be around…)

Thanks for your replies, everyone! This has been really interesting (for me, at least) :slight_smile:

I agree with you all!

Disa (I know you’re [name]Lisa[/name], but you’re Disa to me now) :-), I agree about the spelling, and never realized how similar to [name]Mallory[/name] it is. I’m so sorry that your husband is making the naming process difficult. :frowning: What does he like?

[name]Kate[/name]/[name]Dot[/name]'s Mom, I agree that [name]Hilary[/name] feels like a strong name, and I second your post. :slight_smile:

Calisse: I prefer [name]Hilary[/name] with one L, too, and am happy that you have good associations with the name! :slight_smile:

If anyone else has opinions, good or bad, I’d love to hear them!

Take care! :slight_smile:

I think it’s a lovely name, though I slightly prefer [name]Valerie[/name]. I especially like the meaning; another great name for laughter is [name]Risa[/name].

I like the name [name]Hilary[/name], and as I am not American, it has not got quite the same immediate connotations for me as some of you over the other side of the pond. It was always quite an “upper crust” type of British name, used for men as well as women until fairly recently. I went to school with a few Hilarys. I used the name [name]Felicity[/name] for one of my daughters, which means happiness and is along the same lines.

I completely forgot that you have a [name]Felicity[/name]! I [name]LOVE[/name] that name, [name]Ailsa[/name]! Thanks for letting me know about [name]Hilary[/name] in the U.K.!

Have a good night!

[name]Hi[/name], I hope you are still reading the replies! I have a [name]Hilarie[/name] (I never liked either -y spelling and had a friend in middle school with this spelling). I was looking for a name that wasn’t being used a lot right now (my name was uber-popular in the 70s and I hated that!), but had a great meaning and didn’t sound “made up”

I don’t care at all about the associations - people can think whatever they want. That said, I am a pretty outspoken Democrat, and even though I’m not a HUGE HRC fan, I don’t care if that is the association people have. It actually makes me laugh when people make a face or comment about “Oh, you mean like HRC?”

FWIW, I feel the name totally fits my little girl. She is the sweetest, friendliest little girl ever - everyone in our neighborhood knows her and one of my neighbors calls her “the mayor.” She loves people and life and I am so glad her name seems to fit her personality - this is exactly what I was hoping for.

I live in a purple state right now (VA), but in the VERY politically minded [name]NoVA[/name] suburbs of DC. We are planning to move to TX in a couple years - that should be fun. But, seriously, what little kid cares enough to make fun of her name?

I would much rather my kid have a name not everyone in her class has than be one of 5 or 6 Avas or Isabellas. No offense to those names, but they are the [name]Jennifer[/name] of our time.

I like the name [name]Felicity[/name], but I also like the name [name]Evie[/name] (which means life and was the runner up to [name]Hilarie[/name] for us).

I love this name – I do believe the decline has to do with it so single-handedly being associated with one person (a similar thing probably happened to [name]Brittany[/name], though [name]Hilary[/name] is much nicer and much more tasteful than [name]Brittany[/name], so I hestitate to even make the comparison). Over time, this association will wane. For a baby named [name]Hilary[/name], I doubt very much that by the time she is an adult that [name]Hilary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] will be in the forefront of anyone’s mind, regardless of their political leanings.

Purple state??? This is a political reference, presumably? I would have thought that [name]Hilary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] was a good female role model, whatever your political affiliations - personally, I hated the politics of [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name], but I thought she was a good role model and a very strong woman.

But I am really surprised that children would get teased about the name [name]Hilary[/name] - you must raise your kids to be very precociously politically aware!!!

I like the name [name]Hilary[/name], whichever way you spell it. I feel it is strong yet feminine, serious but with a happy meaning. [name]Love[/name] [name]Evie[/name] too, but [name]WAY[/name] too popular over here!

Re: [name]Hilary[/name]/[name]Hillary[/name]
by -sarah- on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:40 pm

I love this name – I do believe the decline has to do with it so single-handedly being associated with one person (a similar thing probably happened to [name]Brittany[/name], though [name]Hilary[/name] is much nicer and much more tasteful than [name]Brittany[/name], so I hestitate to even make the comparison). Over time, this association will wane. For a baby named [name]Hilary[/name], I doubt very much that by the time she is an adult that [name]Hilary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] will be in the forefront of anyone’s mind, regardless of their political leanings.

ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY! This is exactly what I thought. No one will think this in 20 years when my daughter reaches the work force.
Re: [name]Hilary[/name]/[name]Hillary[/name]
by redridinghood on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Purple state??? This is a political reference, presumably? I would have thought that [name]Hilary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] was a good female role model, whatever your political affiliations - personally, I hated the politics of [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Thatcher[/name], but I thought she was a good role model and a very strong woman.

Yes, political reference. [name]Red[/name] (Republican) +[name]Blue[/name] (Democrat)=Purple. The US is a bit crazy in this respect :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I agree with you about having a strong female role model, but I think there are a LOT of things about HRC that just turn people off. Too bad, she is a smart woman and has done pretty well in her own political career. Secretary of State is nothing to sneeze at, and she was THIS.CLOSE to being the Democratic nominee and likely would have won.

But I am really surprised that children would get teased about the name [name]Hilary[/name] - you must raise your kids to be very precociously politically aware!!!

No, but we have some crazy parents who say horrible things about politicians to their children - teaching them that they are the Great Satan and all that.

I like the name [name]Hilary[/name], whichever way you spell it. I feel it is strong yet feminine, serious but with a happy meaning. [name]Love[/name] [name]Evie[/name] too, but [name]WAY[/name] too popular over here!

So funny - I have run across only one [name]Evie[/name] over here. Interesting how naming trends are so different in different parts of the world!

I just asked my 11 year old daughter if she likes the name [name]Hilary[/name] and she said in a very excited voice “Yes, I like [name]Hilary[/name] a lot”. This is coming from the girl who thought the name [name]Elle[/name] reminded her too much of an elephant and another name (cant’ remember which) reminded her of [name]Elvis[/name] [name]Presley[/name]. Her favorite names are [name]Margo[/name]/[name]Margot[/name] and [name]Wren[/name] btw.

So with all that said, children will most likely not tease a child with the name [name]Hilary[/name] especially for it’s political connections. It has been my experience at least with my daughter that she really only makes fun names I suggest if they sound like something else or she happens to know a kid at school that she doesn’t care for with the same name. It’s like the “[name]Banana[/name] [name]Fana[/name]” game unless a name really rhymes or sounds like another word I’m not so sure it will be teased. [name]Joe[/name] shmoe, [name]Joe[/name] blow ect. and I still like the name [name]Joe[/name]. :wink:

I’d always thought that “[name]Hilary[/name]” (with one l) was mostly seen in use as the masculine form of this name, while “[name]Hillary[/name]” (with two l’s) was mostly seen in use as the feminine form.

[name]EDIT[/name]: I just checked the Nameberry database, and I see that [name]Linda[/name] and [name]Pam[/name] make that same masculine/feminine distinction for [name]Hilary[/name]/[name]Hillary[/name].

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I was so happy to read your post, Shanwake! Thanks so much!:slight_smile: I think that [name]Hilary[/name] is just beautiful, and I’ve always associated it with strengh, happiness, and a great sense of humor (due to the hilarious connection). :slight_smile: Your little girl is EXACTLY what I imagine a little [name]Hilary[/name] to be like, and your description made me smile. :slight_smile:

I don’t mind the [name]Hillary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] associations, either, and actually quite admire her strength and intellect. I met [name]Bill[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] when he was president ([name]Gore[/name], too), and that was exciting. :slight_smile: (I’m a huge political junkie, too.) :slight_smile:

I’m happy to know that you named your daughter such a cheerful, beautiful name, and that it’s received well. :slight_smile:

Have a great night! :slight_smile:

Well said, [name]Sarah[/name]! :slight_smile: I agree with what you said about the name eventually parting ways with [name]Hillary[/name] [name]Clinton[/name] as she’s no longer in the public eye.

Take care!