Hildegarde?

Hey Berries,
I recently have taken a liking to strong-sounding [name_m]German[/name_m] names. I have quite a few I’m playing around with but I think my favorite one right now is [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love the meaning, uniqueness, and possible nicknames [name_f]Hilda[/name_f], [name_f]Hildie[/name_f], Garden, and [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]. So what do you guys think- is it usable? [name_m]Can[/name_m] it be a first name or should it be kept as a middle name possibility only?

2 Likes

I really like [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]!
I think using [name_f]Hildi[/name_f] would work very well as a nickname. I might also include it as a middle name depending on what the first name would be. Definitely a interesting name, one that isn’t heard a lot but is still pretty.

1 Like

my all time favorite name is [name_f]Huldah[/name_f] !!!
nn could be hully

Garden is such a cute nickname for [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]!

2 Likes

I think that a [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] would probably get teased for her name, though I personally love it. Especially with the nickname [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] !! I wouldn’t be brave enough to use it as a first name, even if I do find it beatiful.

Love love love!!!

I love [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]! Garden is an adorable nn. Hmm. As someone in the US, I’d say it’s usable but very very brave, but I have a suspicion it might not be as out-there in a decade or so. I’d absolutely love to meet a [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]!

1 Like

When I first read your thing I was thinking “Wow, [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]? I’m not sure about that” but the more I read about the nn and the more that I said it in my head and outloud the more I like it! I think that a lot of people would be like me, hear it first, have to process it, and then grow to like it and even love it! I think the nn make it perfectly wearable!

1 Like

It’s definitely a brave choice. I’m not sure if kids would find it odd or if they will grow up knowing her as the name and not think anything of it.

I love it! It sounds like a [name_u]Warrior[/name_u] [name_f]Princess[/name_f], and has such amazing nicknames! Go for it!

1 Like

Hmm… I’m not sure. I really want to like it, but it sounds very harsh to m. The nns do make it more wearable though!

2 Likes

It’s not my style but I do think it’s usable and I think the nicknames [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] and [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] are super cute.

Where I’m from in the US, [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] probably wouldn’t be considered easily usable unless you were [name_m]German[/name_m] immigrants. I do enjoy the nicknames, though. That being said, people may think it’s odd at first, but they would get used to it just like people get used to any unusual name they hear.

I think it’s usable! Garden is a lovely nickname, and it’s familiar enough to the ear to not be overwhelming.

[name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] nn [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] is really sweet! I think it can definitely be a first name. I like clunky names like this though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love it!

1 Like

I actually love it! I think it’s usable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hildegarde is bold and brilliant!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]! Theres a [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] in the show Sofia the First, and I fell in love with it when I first heard it! I think it’s clunky, but in an adorable and cuddly way. It would definitely be a bold and brave choice though! I think the many nn options help it seem more wearable! I love [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] and [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], and Garden is so sweet!!

1 Like

Hildegarde, “[name_f]Hildie[/name_f]” and “[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]” was on my list before I met my husband. Unfortunately he can’t join me on board with the idea, but I would use it in a heartbeat. Garden is also adorable. I think it works better now than it did 10 years ago (when I fell in love with it), but will likely work better in 10 years than it does now. In terms of usability, I think it will definitely raise some eyebrows but it is worth it in my opinion. It is a stunning and sweet name.

1 Like