Hildegarde?

The only [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] I know of is male.

My immediate first reaction to hearing the name is this one song that we sing with the kids during music circle at the daycare I volunteer with, it goes “Mother [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f], had 7 sons, 7 sons had Mother [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f], and they didn’t laugh, and they didn’t cry, all they did was go like this… right arm, left arm” (or some other movement, sort of like the idea of the hokey pokey I guess?)
Besides that, I find it a tad clunky, but I must say that you’re right about it having lots of cute nickname options, I especially like [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and Garden. I also agree with other posters that it likely will become less unusual of a choice with time, especially considering clunky old lady names are in right now.

It’s really not my cup of tea.

I love it! Yes, it’s clunky and adventurous, but oh so cool. [name_f]Hildie[/name_f], [name_f]Hilda[/name_f], and [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] are each very wearable. The blogger Carrots for Michealmas has a [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f], called [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] (that’s where I really fell in love with the name). I’d use it!

I speak [name_m]German[/name_m] and I’m familiar with [name_m]German[/name_m] names, and [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] is very, very old fashioned. I usually like clunky names like [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f] and [name_f]Ursula[/name_f], but [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] is a bit much even for me. The nickname [name_f]Hilde[/name_f] sounds very middle-aged in [name_m]German[/name_m]. I can’t say I’m a fan, but I see the appeal for someone who doesn’t live in a [name_m]German[/name_m]-speaking country.

Hildagarde has been on my lists for ages. [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] is the name I’d actually use though, since being in the US. I also love [name_f]Hilde[/name_f],Herra,Herdiss. I would use [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] in a heartbeat, but have a first cousin named [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]. I say go for Hildagarde if you really want, theres so many NNs for it, the child wouldn’t have to use the full name. Surprisingly, I will say though, my son’s name is [name_m]Zebediah[/name_m] and I thought that was too much of a mouth full and we’d be calling him [name_m]Zeb[/name_m] always. It’s been quite the contrary actually. Btw, there’s an adorable show on netflix called [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] about a young,adventurous girl who moves from the country to the city. Super cute books as well, my son loves the books.

It’s not my style but I do think it’s useable. It’s in that vintage comeback category which is very popular right now.

Wow, another person seriously considering [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]?! I thought I was the only one.

When my husband first told me this was his favorite name, I was shocked. Sometimes I still wonder if he is playing a very long, elaborate prank on me, haha. But, no, he has assured me that he really does love this name for the badass warrior princess quality of it. I have done much research into the name [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] and [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] and [name_f]Hildi[/name_f]/Hildy to try to make myself fall in love with it. And I think it is working–I do see the beauty in it now. I like the meaning “comrade in arms,” and St. [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] and St. [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] are both cool namesakes, it is a royal name, a name used in classic Hollywood–all things that are pluses for me. And we are both half [name_m]German[/name_m] with a [name_m]German[/name_m] last name. I think all names are beautiful if you see them in the right light and say them in the right way. :sparkling_heart:

We are in the U.S., and I do think that people will make fun of it or at least raise eyebrows at first. But he plans to call her [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] and I plan to call her [name_f]Hildi[/name_f], and I think [name_f]Hildi[/name_f] is a very fresh, cute nickname. And I agree that I can see it being not so strange in the future, at least with those nicknames. It’s better than being yet another [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or [name_f]Ava[/name_f], isn’t it?

Garden is a cool nickname possibility, I’ll have to consider that.

I have always said, “IF YOU LOVE IT, USE IT!” [name_f]My[/name_f] husband loves [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f], and he has made me like it, too. If you love it, be brave and use it. Then our daughters might feel a little less strange and alone in the world :wink:

1 Like

I’ve never been a fan of [name_f]Hildegard[/name_f] but when you said “badass warrior princess” you hooked me. I’ll think of it very differently now. Go for it!

2 Likes

I like it! It isn’t super my style, but I appreciate its drama and presence. I really like the way it can be shortened into some sweet nicknames, as well! It’s definitely usable!

1 Like

:slight_smile: Thanks! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] I could give you a new way of looking at it.

I do love a little drama! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I absolutely love the nickname [name_f]Hildy[/name_f]! I heard it in His Girl [name_m]Friday[/name_m] and [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] is a fantastic character whose full name is [name_f]Hildegard[/name_f] so I have positive associations with it. That said, I feel like it’s more of a guilty pleasure name for me at the moment but I would be delighted to see a resurgence of little Hildegardes!

1 Like

It is way better to be yet another [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or [name_f]Ava[/name_f] than [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] (PS: I am from [name_f]Austria[/name_f])