His/hers first favorites for Baby Bao Bucket [polls!]

Had a more in-depth conversation with my partner for the first time in a few months (really since before this pregnancy).

His top 5 (in no particular order):

• Constantine
  • Ignatius
  • Oberon
  • Taliesin
  • Ulysses

0 voters

My top 5 (in no particular order):

• Constantine
  • Endymion
  • Ferdinand
  • Ozymandias
  • Rubeus

0 voters

Does [name_u]Constantine[/name_u]’s appearance on both lists mean he is the right pick? That is certainly the easiest option.

He says he will be happy with any of our top names at all. They have made it to our top of tops list for reasons and are therefore all worthy. Half of me can say the reciprocal but the other half hates to give up my absolute favorites for a lesser favorite (but then again I can’t even get straight myself as to which is truly my favorite anyway).

Favorite combos in the running

• Constantine [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
  • Constantine [name_f]Jade[/name_f]
  • Constantine [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
  • Constantine [name_m]Scipio[/name_m]
  • Rubeus [name_u]Constantine[/name_u]
  • Rubeus [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m]
  • Rubeus [name_m]Hercule[/name_m]
  • Rubeus [name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
  • Rubeus [name_m]Octave[/name_m]
  • Rubeus [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u]
  • Rubeus [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m]
  • Rubeus [name_m]Endymion[/name_m]
  • Endymion [name_u]Constantine[/name_u]
  • Endymion [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]
  • Endymion [name_u]Jem[/name_u]
  • Endymion [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
  • Oberon [name_m]Hercule[/name_m]
  • Oberon [name_m]Artair[/name_m]
  • Oberon [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
  • Oberon [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m]

0 voters

• Ignatius [name_u]Jem[/name_u]
  • Ignatius [name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
  • Ignatius [name_m]Nicodem[/name_m]
  • Ignatius [name_m]Scipio[/name_m]
  • Ignatius [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]
  • Ozymandias [name_u]Jem[/name_u]
  • Taliesin [name_m]Artair[/name_m]
  • Taliesin Benoît
  • Taliesin [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
  • Taliesin [name_m]Scipio[/name_m]
  • Ulysses [name_m]Artair[/name_m]
  • Ulysses [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m]
  • Ulysses [name_u]Jem[/name_u]
  • Ulysses [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
  • Ulysses [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u]
  • Ulysses [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m]
  • Ferdinand [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
  • Ferdinand [name_m]Hercule[/name_m]
  • Ferdinand [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m]

0 voters

Thoughts appreciated!

2 Likes

I adore [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] [name_u]Jem[/name_u]–it’s warm (even a little fiery! :wink:), full of bold and substantive sound but with a wonderful touch of levity. I think it ties in beautifully with your boys’ names while bringing its own personality and flair. And it’s totally unexpected yet easily wearable and with an array of versatile nickname options. It’s my absolute favorite from your list, which is saying a lot because you have some really amazing combos here! I do also love that [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] appeals equally to both of you–that counts for something in my book for sure. And [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] [name_u]Jules[/name_u]…well that would definitely have to be my runner up to [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] [name_u]Jem[/name_u], it’s stunning. Anyway, I have no doubt this baby will be spectacularly named no matter what you end up choosing :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Ignatius [name_u]Jem[/name_u] really stood out to me, too.

You have a really great list. I’m sure you can’t go wrong!

[name_m]Endymion[/name_m] [name_u]Jules[/name_u] and [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]! Wow! :heart_eyes:

Yes, I do think that if [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] is a favorite for both of you, it’s a clear winner. I like [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] [name_f]Jade[/name_f], and Rubeus [name_u]Constantine[/name_u]. [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] stood out to me as well, so I think I really like [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] for the middle name.

Best of luck!

I know [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] hasn’t gotten as much love but I think that would be a great choice with so many layers of history!

It’s good to see you posting again. I missed your presence on the forum. I’ve just read through the other thread you posted a few days ago but I’ll respond to you here instead. [name_f]My[/name_f] intuition from that longer list leads me towards [name_m]Ozymandias[/name_m], [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] and [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m]. I also felt strongly towards [name_m]Nicodem[/name_m] for your pure and uncomplicated love of it. It only occurs to me now that ‘uncomplicated’ is far from the preferences and choices I’d usually ascribe to you.

Ozymandias was the first name that felt right as I scanned your list. I have a feeling it went over my head the last time I saw it on your list, but your names often have a way of growing on me. It has a distinction–there’s something formidable about the sounds and imagery–that rises above all the other names. It feels like your fingerprints run through its letters. I wonder if that’s partially because it feels reminiscent of [name_f]Olympias[/name_f]…the beginning and the ending. I’m finding more and more elements that feel right about this name; the tie-in of the ‘O’, the sharpness of the ‘z’, the grounded centre, and the ways it connects to H and A. There’s the imagery from the sonnets of travelling through time and space, and the antiquity itself, the imagery of the sun rising and setting through association to Ramesses II, and birth from the meaning ‘born of [name_m]Ra[/name_m].’

Ulysses appeals to me more on a personal level. I feel like it provides the perfect counterweight to those small but evident differences in styles across the sibling set. I want to talk about the meaning, especially as it’s your main reservation about the name. I have searched a fair bit on the etymology of [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] and I’ve come to the conclusion that it is unknown or uncertain at best. Homeric texts are known for deliberate word play and paronomasia. The assonance and meaning of names can affect the surrounding text, and vice versa, the sounds and meanings of certain words can evoke the names of characters whether they are etymologically related or not. In the same way we have the word ‘odyssey’ from the name [name_m]Odysseus[/name_m]. Homeric texts expect the audience to make these associations for narrative purposes. I suppose if the roots are uncertain, it at least offers you freedom in how you interpret the meaning.

Taliesin came after reading your comments and pausing, more than once, to consider the ways it meets your preferences. It feels like the most cohesive sibling set perhaps because each name shares a similarity to the letters or shape of the other two. It’s got the spiky ‘t’ and the sibilance that carries through. I’m liking it more and more, especially as one of the few names on your list that honours family. I am won over by that.

It surprised me that [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] was the frontrunner you’ve been alluding to. It does seem like your style, it’s just not what I’d imagined fitting with H and A. It could be the mouthfeel of those closed, nasal sounds. I recognise something of the hesitation you have since hearing it used for another [name_u]Berry[/name_u]’s baby. The feeling is real, it doesn’t have to be justified. Those feelings might resolve themselves, but in the meantime, it doesn’t help you with the naming process if [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] is framed as the ‘one to beat.’ I mean, whatever you can do to take the pressure off [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] is probably going to free you up to consider the other names on your list more seriously. You could even put [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] aside temporarily, as if you had already a son with that name, and consider your remaining options at least to give you a break from thinking about [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] and making comparisons.

Lastly, [name_u]Constantine[/name_u]. Its appearance on both of your lists means it’s an agreeable choice but it doesn’t indicate how strong it is within your lists. If you both made a top two, and each of you had [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] and a different name listed, then [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] would be the fair compromise in that situation. However, right now your husband might rank the name near the top of his five, and you might rank the name near the bottom. [name_u]Or[/name_u] you could both rank the name somewhere in the middle. If my husband was happy for me to choose from our top ten, I don’t think I’d choose my third or fourth option. However, it’s entirely possible that the most harmonious choice could grow to become my first choice.

1 Like

Constantine [name_u]Jules[/name_u] is :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: I still love [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] and [name_m]Endymion[/name_m] for you too though.
I feel like all three of these are absolutely perfect with your other sons’ names.
I think [name_u]Jules[/name_u] as a middle works well with all three and I love that it’s an honor name.

1 Like

My top faves:
[name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] [name_u]Jem[/name_u]
[name_m]Endymion[/name_m] [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
[name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] [name_u]Jules[/name_u]
Ozymandius [name_u]Jem[/name_u]
Rubeus [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m]
[name_u]Constantine[/name_u] [name_u]Jules[/name_u]

Maybe [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] [name_u]Jules[/name_u] is the one for you all as [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] is on both of your top fave lists?

1 Like

Oh and I would also like [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m] Rubeus! I love those names together

1 Like

Rebeus [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m] is just :heart_eyes:
I also really love [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] and if I had to pair any it would be [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m] I think that is wonderfully medieval and chivalrous ( sorry I know that’s not a combo you’ve come up with) that’s just a combo I am drawn too.

2 Likes