His Names vs. My Names

My bf and I are expecting our first child in [name]September[/name]. We had absolutely no problems picking out a boy’s name together ([name]Ezra[/name] [name]Allen[/name] - [name]Allen[/name] being a family name) within the first week we found out I was pregnant. However, here we are sitting at 5 mo, all signs are pointing towards it being a girl and we can’t agree! I take that back, we’d use [name]Eileen[/name] as the middle name to honor my grandma who recently passed away. [name]How[/name] did anyone else compromise? We have such different tastes, he says I like old lady names and I say he gets waaaaay to creative with his spelling sometimes. In case you were curious, here’s some of our names.
His:
[name]Ariana[/name] (originally he spelled it Ahreahna)
[name]Elysia[/name]
[name]Lailah[/name]
and his number one choice: [name]Paisley[/name]

Mine:
[name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Adalie[/name]
And my number one: [name]Magdalen[/name]

[name]One[/name] caveat… we both sorta like the name [name]Greta[/name] (sounds good with his very [name]German[/name] last name) but neither of us are sold on it.

Well, Greta is a fabulous to agree on, and Greta Eileen sounds beautiful!! I love Greta because it’s spunky and Hollywood glam (Greta Garbo), but vintage and charming. It has a lovely meaning (‘Pearl’) that would make a cute and unusual nickname if you like. You could consider Margaret if you’d rather use Greta as a nn, but I like Greta on its own!

His choices tend to be really feminine-with-a-flourish, girly, modern, on trend with the vowel sounds being the strongest. Yours are unusual, traditionally spelled, feminine but not flowery, most consonant-heavy. Now, to find that balance in old-fashioned charm/modern sound and in how cutesy/flowery her name will be… I’m surprised he doesn’t like Adalie since it shares a lot of the things he seems to like. Curious. I think that compromise works well if you can back up and look at why you like the names you do. Like, what qualities do you like about these names–history, femininity, traditional spelling, spunk, qualities you might imagine for your daughter as well as for her name–and then building a list together that captures those qualities. But that might not solve everything if you have different understandings of something like spunk, I suppose.

I don’t know if you wanted suggestions, but here are some ideas…

Vivian/Vivienne - lotta vowels like he likes (on trend) but it doesn’t sound super sugary. Viv and Vi are a snappy nicknames.
Aurora (nn Rory) - feminine (Disney Princess!) first, but with the grounded sound of your pick Eleanor and a sturdy nickname
Aurelia
Livia (nn Liv) - solid, Roman name but sounds like its trendy cousin
Cassia
Juliet
Willa - simplicity of Greta, history of your choices with softer sounds like his, and shares sounds with trendier Willow
Romilly (nn Romy or Milly)
Rosalie or Coralie
Cecilia - historical, but a little flowery for him. Celia or Celie would be a sweet nickname.
Sylvie
Lucia/Lucille/Lucinda (nn Lucy)
Linnea
Camille (nn Cam or Milly)
Corinne or Corinna
Eliza - spunky and grounded like Eleanor, little more feminine like Elysia
Elodie
Thalia
Pheobe
Amabel or Annabel
Annaliese - I think this would sound great with a German last name, and Anna, Annie, and Liese are pretty nns
Audra

Or what about a floral/tree: Lilac, Primrose or Rose, Acacia, Magnolia (sounds a bit like Magdalen, but is a little more wordy), Azalea, Iris, Zinnia, etc.

I agree with the suggested compromise [name]Elodie[/name]- combines [name]Adalie[/name] and [name]Elysia[/name] nicely.

Try that one on for your DD with DH.

emiliaj

[name]Greta[/name] [name]Eileen[/name] sounds nice enough, but I find [name]Greta[/name] a little too harsh sounding.

I don’t mind [name]Elysia[/name], I’ve seen it on another member’s list as a middle name and I can definitely see the appeal. I’d prefer the simple [name]Alice[/name], which goes nicely with [name]Ezra[/name].

[name]Leila[/name] [name]Eileen[/name] would work well, do you like [name]Leila[/name]?

I really don’t like [name]Paisley[/name], and it seems so mismatched with [name]Ezra[/name].

As for your choices I think [name]Eleanor[/name] and Tamson are lovely with [name]Tamsin[/name].

Other deas…
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]France[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Heidi[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Luisa[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Lilith[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Maris[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Olive[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] & [name]Willow[/name]

I see why you have a problem - quite different tastes. I like some of each of your names:

[name]Ariana[/name] (originally he spelled it Ahreahna) - I love [name]Ariana[/name]. spelled that way or [name]Arianna[/name]. But Ahreahna is just awful.
[name]Elysia[/name] - it looks pretty, but I would not know from looking if it’s pronounced a-lee-sha or a-lee-see-a. [name]Elyse[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Alicia[/name] are less confusing.
[name]Lailah[/name] - I like this, but spelled [name]Layla[/name]. I also like [name]Lila[/name] or [name]Leila[/name].
and his number one choice: [name]Paisley[/name] don’t really like this, it’s a pattern to me.

Mine:
[name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name] I like this. [name]Eleanor[/name] might sound “old lady” but I don’t think [name]Nora[/name] does.
[name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Love[/name] this. This is not “old lady”. It’s just uncommon in the US.
[name]Adalie[/name] Like it, but is it [name]Add[/name]-a-lee or Ay-da-lee? prefer [name]Adele[/name] or [name]Adela[/name].
And my number one: [name]Magdalen[/name] Like it!

[name]Greta[/name] is nice too.