Honest opinion on this name

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m]

I understand there is a [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] [name_m]Diggory[/name_m] in [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] but what’s your thoughts on the name.

How do you imagine the person to look like/what vibes does the name give you?

Also why do you think it’s not very popular?

Thanks

1 Like

I love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m]! I think it’s a very handsome, strong sounding name. It’s also a name that is familiar to many people, but not popular, which is the sweet spot as far as I’m concerned!
Not really sure why it’s not very popular, maybe just because it’s a little more vintage, but I think that’s really appealing. I’d love to see [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] used more!

3 Likes

I quite like [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] - it’s on my own longlist. I would imagine a [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] to have strong values and to be well-liked, though I must admit this is probably a bit swayed by [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] [name_m]Diggory[/name_m].

I don’t know why it’s not more popular - the only thing I can think of is maybe the -ric sound is a bit dated?

1 Like

I know a little boy named Cedric. I think it’s totally usable (and a great name!) despite the Harry Potter associations.

I’m not sure why it isn’t popular, but I know I’m personally very hesitant to use any name that people might frequently associate with Harry Potter (I don’t think Cedric has a too-high risk of that, honestly).

3 Likes

I love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m]! It’s on my list of favorites. I associate it with Victorian [name_f]England[/name_f] and think it sounds handsome.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts too :slightly_smiling_face:

I like it! The first thing I think of is [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]

1 Like

I love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m]! It has been used long before HP but obviously HP being megapopular will make it the first association for many people.
I do think of [name_u]Robert[/name_u] Pattinson at first but many other things come to mind as well. The second person I think of is a brilliant [name_u]French[/name_u] pastry chef called Cédric Grolet. [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] was also an adorable dog cuddly toy in a Moomin short story collection (Tales from Moominvalley) that I loved as a child.

I think it’s a sweet and poetic name. I imagine a kind, gentle and brave boy.

1 Like

I love Cedric!! It’s warm, cosy, rugged yet gentle. I imagine someone friendly and slightly studious.

3 Likes

Really like it! It doesn’t sound very American though. A bit aristocratic sounding maybe?

1 Like

I love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], it’s one of my favourites! I think it’s pretty versatile, but I’d imagine a [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] to be kind, sweet, a little quieter, maybe somewhat nerdy and bookish, and well liked. I’m not sure why it’s not more popular (although I’m very glad it isn’t). Potentially it’s too old man-ish or out there for people; maybe cemented by it being used for a HP character. There’s nothing wrong with it at all though! I actually came across a [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] in a kids/pre-teen show, set in the real world, and it was presented as just another name. It definitely uped the usability for me.

2 Likes

That’s ok lol as I am British. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So good!! Such a sturdy, classic, sweet name.
Very nice.

1 Like

It’s not my vibe, but I like it for others! I do think it’s an underrated name, perhaps because it just doesn’t often come to mind for parents. But that can be a plus for name nerds.

To me, it sounds sharp and cool, but in a dashing gentleman kind of way, if that makes any sense. :slight_smile:
I can see it being really adorable on a little boy today!

2 Likes

I love it. I have heard the nn [name_m]Ced[/name_m] for [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], which is ok.

I also like the name [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], which is pretty similar.

1 Like

I think we would use Ceddy :slightly_smiling_face:

love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m]! really handsome name, so underrated

1 Like

i do like this name - it’s warm and rugged but has a soft feel to it, as well as being unexpected :relieved:

why isn’t it popular ?

part of me thinks one of the reasons why it isn’t popular is that the look and sound is unfortunately just unfamiliar or unappealing to a lot of people. vowel dominant, simple boys names are trending at the moment (à la noah, elio, oliver, luca) and despite the classic feel, ced- isn’t really in use as an english name prefix at all, perhaps because cedric is an invented name. in comparison a popular name like frederick has the intuitive and familiar ‘freddie’ nickname that can also make it seem more ageless and versatile to people, whereas cedric does not have the exact same advantage. the ‘100 year rule’ is also not working in poor cedric’s favor - peaking in the US in the 1970s leaves it in the ‘dated’ stage of name trends, or associated with the middle aged. the harry potter association may also sway the image to be almost more specific to fit a stereotype that many people may not wish to put their child in. if any of that makes sense :sweat_smile::sweat_smile: