Honest Opinions on August

I’m wondering what you think of the name [name_u]August[/name_u]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like it on a boy or girl better? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] and [name_f]Augustina[/name_f] better on girls? What do you think of [name_m]Augusten[/name_m]? Which nickname do you prefer, Auggie, [name_u]Gus[/name_u], or just [name_u]August[/name_u]? I know that’s a lot of questions, but I’d like your honest opinions. Thank you!

I love [name_u]August[/name_u]! The other ones I like are [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_m]Augusten[/name_m]. For NN’s I really like Auggie the most, but [name_u]Gus[/name_u] has been growing on me too, so I think if I named my kid [name_u]August[/name_u] or [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] or [name_m]Augusten[/name_m], I would consider [name_u]Gus[/name_u] way more now. I like it on both, but I like [name_u]August[/name_u] on boys.

I adore [name_u]August[/name_u], and have ever since I read Wonder (by R.J. Palacio). I love his boyish charm, energy, and joy; it’s very much my style. I definitely prefer [name_u]August[/name_u] on a boy, I just think boy when I imagine one. For nns I think Auggie is so adorable, although I’d use [name_u]August[/name_u] mostly, but I really dislike [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. [name_u]Gus[/name_u] just sounds big and lumpy to me, I don’t like the imagery I get from it.

For girls I prefer [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] to [name_f]Augustina[/name_f], but I’m not a huge fan of either. [name_u]August[/name_u]/Auggie is pretty much the only Aug- name I like. The rest feel a bit too heavy and serious for me.

I like [name_u]August[/name_u] a lot! As a first name it’s more usable on a boy but I love it as a girl’s middle name. [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] is very attractive, and [name_f]Augustina[/name_f] is nice.
[name_m]Augusten[/name_m] is incredibly handsome, it’s hard to choose between it and [name_u]August[/name_u].
My favorite nickname is [name_m]Augie[/name_m]! It has a Southern, sweet and laid-back feel and it’s much more unique than [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

I really like [name_u]August[/name_u]. I’ve been hearing it more and more lately, which is a shame because it used to seem to be an uncommon gem. If we are talking about just [name_u]August[/name_u], no variations, then I prefer it on a boy. If we are talking about [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] or [name_f]Augustina[/name_f], then I’d obviously say girl. Between [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] and [name_f]Augustina[/name_f], I vastly prefer [name_f]Augusta[/name_f].

[name_m]Augusten[/name_m] is okay. It isn’t a name that I would use nor would I like to be called it, but it’s okay. As far as nicknames, I really don’t like any of them. I’d just use [name_u]August[/name_u]. If I absolutely had to chose…I guess I’d choose Auggie. I despise [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

[name_u]August[/name_u] is beautiful. I prefer it for a boy but it works either way. I love Auggie, [name_u]Gus[/name_u] or [name_u]August[/name_u] on its own. I do like [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] too.

I prefer [name_u]August[/name_u] " [name_u]Gus[/name_u]" on a boy.
[name_f]Autumn[/name_f] for a girl :slight_smile:

I have a weird cultural association with the name. I grew up in Germany, where there was the expression “dumb [name_u]August[/name_u]”. It’s derived from apparently a type of circus clown named [name_u]August[/name_u] who plays dumb and makes tons of mistakes… I just looked it up on wikipedia and the article only exists in german and Russian, so I assume it’s an association specific to those countries and may even be unheard of in English-speaking countries?

I love [name_u]August[/name_u]! I really like it as a boy’s name, though I could see it on a girl. I think [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] is okay but I like [name_u]August[/name_u] much more. I don’t like [name_f]Augustina[/name_f] or [name_m]Augusten[/name_m] at all–they sound clunky and overly formal to me, while [name_u]August[/name_u] is sleek and ready to use without nicknames. Though I think [name_u]August[/name_u] works well without any nicknames, but [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is an adorable option in my opinion and Auggie is also very sweet!

@vc2013 Yeah, I’ve never heard of that!

I tend to like time names (days, months, seasons, times of days, etc.) so I like [name_u]August[/name_u].

It is a male name.

For a girl, I love [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], though [name_f]Augustina[/name_f] seems a bit much.

[name_m]Augusten[/name_m] is OK, but it looks funny to me.

What I don’t like about [name_u]August[/name_u] is Auggie or [name_m]Augie[/name_m] which to me sounds like spitting.

[name_u]Gus[/name_u] is cute.