Honest opinions on these Biblical Boy names?

What would you think of these Biblical Names? It’s for a relative and the last name starts with a D and ends in an -EE Sound.

[ul]

[/ul]

Which ones are your favourites?

I have a love for Bible names too! I like [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] and [name_m]Samson[/name_m] from your list.

I also like:

[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_m]Darius[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Esau[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Hiram[/name_m]
[name_u]Jadon[/name_u]
[name_m]Jamin[/name_m]
[name_m]Javan[/name_m]
[name_m]Lemuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_m]Naaman[/name_m]
[name_m]Rueben[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]

I have a hard time seeing myself using [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m] or [name_m]Cain[/name_m], personally, but the rest are pretty good!

[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]: love it!
[name_m]Tobiah[/name_m], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]: nice
[name_m]Cornelius[/name_m]: It’s nice but I personally wouldn’t use it.
[name_m]Uriah[/name_m]: I really like it :slight_smile:
[name_m]Cain[/name_m]: I personally don’t like it.
[name_m]Gilead[/name_m]: Cute

I also like [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], [name_m]Ammiel[/name_m], Elijha, [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_m]Aaron[/name_m], [name_m]Levi[/name_m], [name_m]Zachary[/name_m], [name_m]Matthias[/name_m], [name_u]Ariel[/name_u], Yonatan / [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Eli[/name_m], [name_m]Ezrah[/name_m], [name_m]David[/name_m] and [name_m]Samuel[/name_m].

I love:

[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Cain[/name_m]

I love [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] and [name_m]Samson[/name_m]. I’m not a huge fan on the others.

I also love [name_m]Gideon[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m].

My favorites are [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] and [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]. I love these names and think they would be the easiest to wear.

I love [name_m]Samson[/name_m] and [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], and really like [name_m]Tobias[/name_m].

Out of your biblical names I like:

[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] nn [name_m]Nate[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] nn [name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_m]Cain[/name_m]

[name_m]Cornelius[/name_m], [name_m]Samson[/name_m] and [name_m]Gilead[/name_m]!

I like [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], [name_m]Samson[/name_m] and [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m].

I love [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] and [name_m]Samson[/name_m], however the rest are definitely NMS.

[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] - Fine name, don’t really hate or love it.
[name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] - NMS.
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] - It’s a fine name, just sounds whiny to me not sure why. :smiley:
[name_m]Samson[/name_m] - Ok.
[name_m]Cornelius[/name_m] - Interesting, I can imagine it on a kid or an old guy, but not really in between.
[name_m]Omar[/name_m] - Ok.
[name_m]Uriah[/name_m] - Can’t get past the beginning sound…
[name_m]Cain[/name_m] - [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t believe the first murderer is the best association, but maybe that’s just me. Or is there another, better biblical character???
[name_m]Gilead[/name_m] - Is this [name_u]Gill[/name_u]-lee-ahd? It’s interesting.

My question would be: what’s your purpose in offering Biblically derived names to a relative? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you study the Bible and like these names? Or do they study the Bible and you want to offer them some great name options you think they’ll like? Going by the sound of the names, some could work. Going by the Biblical accounts, some definitely would not work. So it depends on your purpose. [name_m]How[/name_m] much is this a list of names ‘from the Bible,’ meaning a direct reference to the person, place, or story? [name_m]How[/name_m] much of it is flavored by a Judeo-[name_m]Christian[/name_m] style, meaning classic names?

[name_m]Samson[/name_m], [name_m]Uriah[/name_m], and [name_m]Cain[/name_m] are automatically out, for me. [name_m]Samson[/name_m]'s story is one of losing his faith and breaking his covenants, and the tragic consequences that followed. [name_m]Uriah[/name_m] was a good man, a great one possibly, but he was murdered; he is the victim of [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]'s descent into infidelity and covenant-breaking. [name_m]Cain[/name_m] was the first murderer and covenant-breaker in the Bible. As far as the names themselves, I think [name_m]Samson[/name_m] is possibly usable, it’s sort of a classic name. I don’t like the way [name_m]Uriah[/name_m] sounds. [name_m]Cain[/name_m] sounds like other popular modern names like [name_u]Cade[/name_u]. But again, I would not choose these names for someone who loves the Bible.

[name_m]Omar[/name_m] was the grandson of [name_m]Esau[/name_m], which makes him the great-great-grandson of [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]. I don’t know anything else about him, really; I don’t think there’s any story around him. As far as the name itself, I don’t care for it.

[name_m]Cornelius[/name_m] was a faith-filled [name_m]Roman[/name_m] centurion who was baptized by the Apostle [name_m]Peter[/name_m]. He was the first Gentile to be baptized as a follower of [name_m]Christ[/name_m], without having been converted to Judaism first. He was ministered to by an angel. He and his family being baptized opened up the Gospel to being preached to the Gentiles directly. The name itself is familiar enough not to be weird, while unusual enough that there probably wouldn’t be another in his class. [name_u]Cory[/name_u] is a pretty good nickname.

[name_m]Nathanael[/name_m] (spelled like that, not [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]) was a disciple of [name_m]Christ[/name_m] and possibly an Apostle. It might be another name for the Apostle [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]. [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] was a prophet during the reign of [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m], who called the king to repentance. I like the name [name_m]Nathanael[/name_m]/[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] or [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] well enough. I think they are classic without being overused.

[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is the Greek form of the Hebrew [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m]. There are several people with that name in the Bible, I’m finding as I look it up - I had no idea. It looks like the main mention is in a book called the Book of [name_m]Tobit[/name_m], which is not in the [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] Version, so I’m completely unfamiliar with that. Protestants consider the Book of [name_m]Tobit[/name_m] apocryphal; it seems to be canonized among [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Catholics; it was not included in the Tanakh nor considered canonical in Judaism. I don’t know anything about the person or legacy of any of the several Tobiases mentioned in these books, so to honor a [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] from the Biblical record may be risky: was he a good man? a murderer? just a name mentioned in a list of ancestors? Like the name [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], I think [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is a classic name that’s underused. [name_m]Tobiah[/name_m] sounds like [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]; might cause some confusion about whether it’s [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] or [name_m]Josiah[/name_m], or made up, for those unfamiliar with the Hebrew form.

[name_m]Gilead[/name_m] is a geographical location, east of the [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_u]River[/name_u]. The most commonly known reference may be to the ‘balm of [name_m]Gilead[/name_m],’ which was a fragrant medicinal resin from a tree in that region. It became somewhat symbolic of more than just physical soothing and healing, and thus indirectly referred to [name_m]Christ[/name_m]. As a name, I think it’s great. I think it sounds enough like other, more common names like [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] that it won’t sound out of place. But it’s unique as a name, so he’d be the only one. I think the reference is great, too. It would definitely be recognizable as a Biblical reference with positive overtones, without being overly used.

[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] & [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]