Honest opinions please

What do you think of the name [name]Cobalt[/name] for a baby boy?
My husband and I both really like it but I’m wondering how it will be perceived by the rest of the world.

1 Like

I’m sorry I don’t really like it, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it either. If you and your husband really love the name than that is the most important thing anyway. It is a little different for me, but nothing that that would make me go “what were they thinking” either. [name]Coby[/name] is a cute nn.

Not sure if it would age well. I’m having a hard time imagining a 35 year old “[name]Cobalt[/name]” submitting a job resume and being taken seriously. I could be wrong!

I agree with the previous posters. The other issue is that, because Colbalt is a color name, for some reason that makes it sound feminine to me (not that I would recommend using it for a girl, just that there is something less than masculine about being named after a shade of blue).

I don’t know. It may not be the name I’d choose for my son, but I think it’s strong and distinctive, and certainly by the time [name]Cobalt[/name] is 35 such names will be much more ordinary than they are today. If you love it you should stick with it, though you do need to be prepared for a lot of reactions as above – whether people are open with you about them or not. But I guess the reactions will be more from older people than your son’s peers – kids today are very comfortable with very unusual names.

1 Like

I like it MUCH better than [name]Steel[/name] or [name]Blade[/name] or other metal-related names, and [name]Coby[/name] is definitely a workable nickname.

I totally agree with [name]Pam[/name]. I really like [name]Cobalt[/name], it was a middle name in one of our top combos. I don’t think I’d personally use it as a first name, but that’s not because I don’t think it would age well or be taken seriously. I personally find it a strong name, as well as a beautiful (and masculine!) color. [name]Coby[/name] is a cute nickname, too.

I’d be ready for a lot of negative comments when he was very young, though. Until he’s old enough to say it himself and really give a personality to it, ya know?

I would use it as a mn, or go with [name]Colby[/name] or [name]Colten[/name]/[name]Colton[/name] for a fn.

I tend to think of colors as female, but this one I don’t.

That said, I don’t like it. I tend to like boys’ names that sound like fictional heroes, but not ones that sound like a comic writer trying too hard.

I agree with most of the posters. If you must use this name, I’d put it in the middle. I love unique names, but I think it will come across like you were trying too hard to be different- plus, it’s hard to say! Especially for young children!

Would you use a nickname? I like the word cobalt and think it is very masculine and looks cool written down. It may just be awkward to say “cobalt” numerous times a day. My suggestion is start calling your unborn baby [name]Cobalt[/name] for about a week and see how you feel after that time. If you still love it use it! I did that with my son. We were SOLD on [name]Rio[/name] but after using it for a few days I realized I didn’t like saying it that much. Good luck!

1 Like

I’m not a fan. It sounds like a tool or an engine or something of the sorts. What about [name]Colton[/name]? Or [name]Camden[/name]? Or [name]Colby[/name]?

I think [name]Colton[/name] is a great alternative!

I agree with most of the other comments.
I like the idea of it, and it would be cute for a little boy, but I can’t imagine someone named [name]Cobalt[/name] being taken seriously in the business world. Also, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the name is a horse.

There are some other color names you guys could use, like [name]Red[/name] or [name]Indigo[/name]. Or maybe use [name]Cobalt[/name] as a middle name.

I do NOT think [name]Colton[/name]/[name]Colten[/name] is a good alternative.
I like [name]Cobalt[/name] much better- although maybe as a middle name.

I agree that [name]Colton[/name] is an unsatisfying alternative, plus it’s top 100. [name]How[/name] about [name]Balton[/name]? A last-to-first name I’ve never seen. I thought of it by going “Rather than keeping the co, keep the balt… I like [name]Barton[/name]… hey, if you say that with a Chinese/Japanese accent (apologies to any Chinese or Japanese reading this!), it becomes [name]Balton[/name]… sounds like a last name, I’ll check that it’s real…”

I actually really like it (though it’s not my usual style at all). [name]Cobalt[/name] [name]Blue[/name] is my husband’s favorite color. It sounds manly enough to me. If [name]Onyx[/name] can be a boy name, why not Colbalt? I think [name]Cole[/name] or [name]Colt[/name] would be cool nick names.

i think it’s cool, distinctive & extremely masculine. i do agree though, with the person who said to say it for a week or so to see if you still like it…i have plans on naming my baby indigo…& have yet to do that, but i think that it’s sound advice.

i think you should go for it & i think it’s a good filter. anyone that would reject or be mean your child simply because of his name would be better off to not be around them anyways, right? at least that’s the way i think of it…

1 Like