Honoring a friend but can't think of how!

So, I would like to somehow honor my absolute best friend [name]Aubrey[/name] with part of a future babies name. Her middle name is [name]Susan[/name] and her last name is very Irish and has the name [name]Neil[/name] in it. I haven’t really fallen in love with any [name]Bre[/name]- names or [name]Sue[/name] names and I’m running outta ideas :confused:

I thought that I could honor her by giving my son the first or middle name [name]Neil[/name]. I love that name, love the meaning, and have positive associations with it. Butttt my boyfriend does not. He wants to honor his lifetime best friend, [name]Tyler[/name] [name]Keith[/name]. I thought a good choice would be [name]Neil[/name] [name]Tyler[/name] but he just hates [name]Neil[/name].

Anyway, it could be a girls name or boys name. Use both [name]Aubrey[/name] and [name]Tyler[/name] or just one. I’m not as concerned with [name]Tyler[/name]'s name cause it’s easy to use. Help!

[name]Aura[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Abilene[/name]
Aubrielle
[name]Neila[/name]
[name]Brielle[/name]
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Sanna[/name]

You say you don’t like any [name]Bre[/name]- names so how about Aur- names?

[name]Aurora[/name], [name]Aurelie[/name], [name]Aurelia[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Laura[/name], [name]Maura[/name] (a typo meant I was called this once and apparently it’s a real name) [name]Even[/name] [name]Cora[/name], [name]Dora[/name], [name]Nora[/name] all have the sound in, though you might have to spell it Caura, Daura, Naura which all look odd to me.

I don’t know about for boys though.

[name]Susan[/name] you could use the -an sound and anything that ends in -an.

[name]Brendan[/name], [name]Aidan[/name], [name]Ryan[/name], [name]Logan[/name], [name]Ian[/name], [name]Keiran[/name] etc for boys

[name]Rhian[/name], [name]Jean[/name] for girls, there’s not many I can think of at all.

I like the idea using the aur sound but it doesn’t strike me as something that reminds me of [name]Aubrey[/name]. I just haven’t found a [name]Bri[/name]/[name]Bre[/name] name I like yet. I do like [name]Aurelie[/name]/ia though :slight_smile:

and unfortunately my future sister in law just named their dog [name]Aurora[/name]. Talk about stealing a good name!

Maybe I’ll try and think of personality traits [name]Aubrey[/name] has and find a name with that meaning. Is that a good idea?

[name]Aubrey[/name]:
Automn
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Aurelie[/name]
[name]Brianna[/name]
[name]Breanne[/name]
[name]Brea[/name] (prn. [name]Bray[/name]-uh)
[name]Bria[/name] (prn. [name]Bree[/name]-uh)
[name]Brielle[/name] (prn. [name]Bree[/name]-elle, like [name]Annabelle[/name])

You could always just give your daughter the same first and middle initials. [name]Tyler[/name] I would just give to a boy.

[name]Aubrey[/name] -
[name]Avery[/name] (although I prefer it for a boy)
[name]Audrey[/name]

[name]Susan[/name] -
[name]Hannah[/name] ([name]Susan[/name] - [name]Susannah[/name] - [name]Hannah[/name])
[name]Lily[/name] ([name]Susan[/name] is from [name]Susana[/name], which means lily)
[name]Shoshannah[/name]

I also like using the meaning of a name and finding something that goes with it.

So [name]Keith[/name] means wood ([name]Tyler[/name] maker of titles) but for wood you could go with something like a tree name like [name]Rowan[/name] or [name]Ash[/name] or [name]Cedar[/name] or, or, or…
[name]Ash[/name] made me think of [name]Ashley[/name] (which is cool unisex but I love on boys) and I kind of liked how it had the first and last letter like [name]Aubrey[/name]. In which case it could honor both you and your BF’s friends.

Otherwise [name]Aubrey[/name] means elf ruler. So I thought of [name]Elvina[/name], [name]Elfrida[/name], [name]Oberon[/name], [name]Titania[/name], etc. (I have [name]Elva[/name], [name]Alaric[/name], [name]Erich[/name] and [name]Victor[/name] all with a similar ruler, victory, elf theme in my signature). I think it just really depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Sorry I didn’t come up with anything stellar for [name]Bree[/name]- sounding names. Similarly spelt I had [name]Brice[/name], [name]Brenton[/name] and [name]Briar[/name] but none have that sound. (Apparently not so much my thing.)

Honestly, it’s really up to you as to what reminds you of her, what sounds and combinations make you think of her.

Maybe instead of using her name you could use her favorite flower or a place you went together and has great memories of her or her favorite season/scent/color etc. Think of what reminds you of her and write out a list and see if anything can combine into a name.

For example, my mom’s name is [name]Wanda[/name] (not super beautiful) and she was always waking up early and so organized and sunny in the morning–if I ever wanted to honor her I’d use the name [name]Dawn[/name] because it has all the letters of her name, it reminds me of her and it has some similarities to her middle name–so when I see the name [name]Dawn[/name] I think of her. [name]Don[/name]'t try and force yourself to like a name you don’t just because you think it may honor your friend.

[QUOTE=kala_way;1884370]Honestly, it’s really up to you as to what reminds you of her, what sounds and combinations make you think of her.

Maybe instead of using her name you could use her favorite flower or a place you went together and has great memories of her or her favorite season/scent/color etc. Think of what reminds you of her and write out a list and see if anything can combine into a name.[QUOTE=kala_way;1884370]

great advice! that’s exactly what I was thinking too :slight_smile:

The thing that stands out most about Aubrey is seriously what a great friend she is. She is the most honest, true friend and she is so easy to be friends with. Everyone loves Aubby. So maybe names that mean friend or friendship?
Arden
Esme* love love love Esme from JD Salinger
Bellamy (is the my pronounced me or my?)

I also like the idea of using the same initials so maybe:
Aurelie Sage
Aria Sylvie

Thanks for all the help guys!

What about [name]Amity[/name]? It has a modern feel, means friendship, and starts and ends with the same letters as [name]Aubrey[/name]. And you could use nn [name]Attie[/name] which is super cute!

I thought of that one but I just don’t like it for some reason. [name]Attie[/name] is cute! And I think it’s a pretty name but something just doesn’t click for me :confused:

I think [name]Audrey[/name] is beautiful and very similar to [name]Aubree[/name].

As far as names go, I think it’s a great name… but it’s kinda an inside joke between us to absolutely hate that name. She used to get called [name]Audrey[/name] all the time cause apparently people don’t know that [name]Aubrey[/name] is a name? And whenever we would buy key chains and stuff as kids they never had [name]Aubrey[/name] and only had [name]Audrey[/name]. And it’s just this long running thing that she absolutely despises that name hahah.

[name]Just[/name] wanted to say I love the “[name]Leah[/name] [name]Belle[/name]” in your signature!

thank you so much!! I just had to convince my boyfriend of it today in fact. He loves [name]Leah[/name] and won’t let it go, and I’m just kinda meh about it. I think it’s such a pretty name but I really can’t get over it’s meaning/bible story. So I said it could stay if I got to pick the middle. At first he didn’t like it but now he does :slight_smile:

He also just shot down [name]Aurelie[/name] [name]Sage[/name] which was my favorite way to honor [name]Aubrey[/name] so far :frowning: whatever we gotta a whileeee