honoring an old fashioned name

My mother’s name is [name]Beverley[/name] and I would love to honour her when naming my future daughter, but think her name is too old fashioned for my own personal taste…
Can any of you guys come up with some more modern but lovely names that would work instead? Thanks!

this name that popped into my head was everly/everley! a modern take on beverly…

[name]Everly[/name]/[name]Everley[/name] – very clever!!

I just looked up the meaning and it said ‘a beaver stream or river’. Could you use something like [name]Meadow[/name] as a middle name? Perhaps someone else could think of other names with a similar meaning.

Bevany
[name]Bethany[/name]

are both similar sounding names.

There are some great names that mean river: https://nameberry.com/search/by_meaning/1/[name]River[/name]

But I wonder if going this far afield might not feel like so much of an honor.

another idea: [name]Waverley[/name]

[name]Bailey[/name]
Bassily- Greek feminine form of [name]Basil[/name]: a Greek name meaning “regal”.

I usually say that if you’re honoring someone, you should use their name. The only thing that would prevent me from using the person’s actual name is if it was a name I thought was just awful ([name]Agnes[/name] for me, for example) or if the person I was honoring doesn’t like their own name. I like [name]Beverley[/name]–it’s definitely not in the [name]Agnes[/name] category imo–but if it’s not a favorite of yours for everyday use, it could be a great middle name.

[name]Everly[/name], [name]Ever[/name] and [name]Eve[/name] come to my mind. They are all found inside [name]Beverley[/name]. There’s also [name]Bevin[/name], but its not my style.

[name]Shena[/name], like [name]Beverley[/name], means “from the beaver stream.” :slight_smile:

[name]Avery[/name]

I love the name [name]Beverley[/name]. Too bad that it’s not your favorite. I would use it in a blink, though, if it weren’t the name of someone whom my dh doesn’t like.

I really like [name]Beverly[/name], and for some reason contrast to everyone else i dont think it sounds old, i have never met a beverly. and i have liked the name since i was a little girl. but another very pretty alternitive to [name]Beverly[/name] is as other suggested [name]Everly[/name].

I think if you are trying to avoid [name]Beverley[/name], [name]Everly[/name] and [name]Waverly[/name] are right next to it, as already suggested. However, I really think [name]Beverley[/name] is great and I’m not sure why it hasn’t been resurrected as people start thinking [name]Everly[/name] and [name]Waverly[/name] sound up-to-date. I like the nickname [name]Bev[/name] also. I guess I can understand that some names just sound older and you can’t shake the imagery, or it’s not your taste to dust off an old-fashioned name. [name]Even[/name] with some of the names often-suggested, some of them sound really great and some are still kind of old to me, and I don’t think that I will like them any better over time. If [name]Everly[/name] and [name]Waverly[/name] appeal and you need look no further, great. If they sound too close and you really want to explore other names, I am bringing suggestions, some of which might also be too old-fashioned for your taste:

[name]Beatrice[/name] - this has been revived for a while, but still kind of unusual, I think. #833. I also think there are different “eras” of taste, this one might sound sweeter to you than [name]Beverley[/name] because it’s a little older. [name]Beverly[/name] and [name]Beverley[/name] peaked in the 1930s, while [name]Beatrice[/name] peaked in the 1910s - a little different imagery, might be more your style.

[name]Cecily[/name] - a very sophisticated name that matches the cadence of [name]Beverly[/name]. I think it is also kind of old, but it is hard to know when it was popular - according to the SSA, it was never popular - it had a moment in the sun at #497 in 1989 (Northern Exposure? No, that debuted in 1990, and the namesake of the town was [name]Cicely[/name], equally unpopular if not more so), but has spent most of the time below the top 1000.

[name]Vera[/name], [name]Veronica[/name], [name]Verity[/name] - for [name]BeVERley[/name]. I think three different kind of attitudes.

[name]Bailey[/name] - you might like a unisex name; it is actually more popular for girls and in the current era, always has been. I think its popularity might be slipping or wavering. [name]Beverly[/name] is also originally a masculine name, so this is in spirit. [name]Bradley[/name] also comes up. I think it is less usual, but too close to the disparaging “Bratleigh” I’ve seen used to describe children of parents who don’t use consistent discipline (to be kind).

[name]Early[/name] - A little avant-garde.
https://nameberry.com/babyname/girl/[name]Early[/name]
“A word that’s been used, very infrequently, as a name for hundreds of years. Interesting sound and meaning.”

[name]Bethany[/name] - kind of dated, but I love [name]Beth[/name], and it also follows the rhythm of [name]Beverley[/name]. [name]Bev[/name], [name]Beth[/name]. Similar.

If you’re very stuck, I think a B name for [name]Beverley[/name] ought to be ok.

Some - [name]Bianca[/name], [name]Beryl[/name], [name]Barrett[/name] (not like the clip for your hair, rhymes with [name]Claret[/name]), [name]Bedelia[/name] or [name]Bidelia[/name] (variation of [name]Bridget[/name], which is also nice), [name]Bella[/name], [name]Bijou[/name] (kind of exotic), [name]Blair[/name], [name]Bronte[/name] or Bront” (if you are a literary kind of person); [name]Bryn[/name], [name]Brynn[/name], [name]Brynne[/name], [name]Brynna[/name].

I also like the idea of getting close to the meaning, but I don’t know where to start. I think as a “namesake” kind of thing, it really depends on the meaning of the name. Although I love nature names, I don’t know if applying a like meaning as a namesake is as effective as some of the other suggestions. I think more of “what does your mother mean to you?” is more direct, a B name or some resemblance to the name [name]Beverley[/name] seems better than “what does my mother’s name mean?” if it means “beaver stream,” and not, for instance, a quality like love, strength, honesty, loyalty, or wisdom, etc. I would look for names that connect to your feelings for your mother, or her actual qualities than the meaning behind her name if you choose a name that’s vastly different from the name [name]Beverley[/name]. [name]Just[/name] my opinion.