Honoring Elisabeth

During my last pregnancy finding a name for our son was quite an ordeal, so this time we decided to try and find a name we both love while still TTC, and I think we’re doing pretty well. We’ve decided on a first name for a boy, but are still looking for the right name if we have a girl…
We both want to use some form of [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], because it’s a name that means a lot to both of us and we both have an important woman in our lives with some form of this name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a bit plain next to the my other boys’ names, so we’ve come up with a short list of other variants. Which do you like best? We have a connection to each culture our language we’re drawing from.

[name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f]
Lizaveta
Elishva
[name_f]Elisheva[/name_f]
Elírós - this is a combination of [name_f]Elisa[/name_f] and Rós used in Iceland. [name_f]My[/name_f] SO loves this because of the connection to my own name ([name_f]Rosanne[/name_f]), but I’m not sure.

I love so many of these!

Elishva, [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f] and Elírós are my faves, although I’d be thrilled to see the lovely [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f] too.

What’s your hesitation with Elírós? Is it uncertainty over the name itself or the connection to you own name? I think it’s a beautiful, distinctive choice which sounds like it would have a lot of meaning for you.

Elishva and [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f] are both gorgeous. I think my very slight preference is for the latter, which feels very elegant and sophisticated, but with backbone added by that sharp letter V!

Elishva is sparky and striking and fun!

You might also like Elísabet (too “basic”?), [name_f]Eliska[/name_f]/Eliška, or Eilís?

Oh wow, I love [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f]! So beautiful and fun to say. :slight_smile: I think Elírós is very intriguing too.

1 Like

If you have active cultural connections to Judaism than I think [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f] is a really lovely choice, though generally with Jewish naming traditions you wouldn’t give a child the same name as a relative or friend, but rather a name that starts with the same initial, at least in Ashkenazi practice (and generally only deceased relatives are honored.)
Elírós is also lovely, again provided you have an active cultural connection since Iceland has some pretty strict rules around naming practices for the purpose of preserving their language, the closest still surviving to old Norse, and some names are exclusive to their language. (Though I could also understand not wanting to honor yourself in your kid’s name, I myself feel a little weird about juniors.)

Otherwise, [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f] is very striking!

[name_f]Elisheva[/name_f] is gorgeous

[name_f]Elisheva[/name_f] is my favorite but it might be a weird choice if you aren’t Jewish. [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f] is also cool but I prefer the [name_f]Elisaveta[/name_f] spelling. I love the suggestion of [name_f]Elisabet[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliska[/name_f]!

I like Elishva the best! ([name_f]My[/name_f] favorite form of [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is the Scottish [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]! :blush:)

@katinka I think my main reservation with Elírós is that I don’t particularly like the idea of naming a child after myself, though it’s not the same name at all. And also, SO and I agreed, when I was pregnant with our first child together, that we wouldn’t be using any more “very Icelandic” names like Hjörtur, the name of my oldest son. I love a lot of Icelandic names because they’re closest to my heart, but I guess I just put it out of my head to ever use one again. If that makes sense.
I do like [name_f]Eliska[/name_f], I’ll put it on our list and see what SO thinks.

@brittanyanitarose We’re not practicing Jews (we’re Catholic) but SO has Jewish grandparents, so Jewish culture isn’t completely alien to us. I’m Icelandic myself, (though born in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] and currently not living in Iceland anymore, but I spent most of my childhood there) so there’s definitely a connection there and I know all about Icelandic naming rules. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest son is called Hjörtur, it doesn’t get more Icelandic than that :wink:

1 Like

@Rosebeth with your reservations about using a rose name and your desire to not go with an icelandic choice again I’d say that squarely puts Elírós off the table.

Really you could go with any option you have here and it would be a good choice, but I do really like the sound of [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f] or even Lizaveta alongside Hjötur!

Elírós is gorgeous! Otherwise, I like [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f] or [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Lisbeth[/name_f]?

All of your names are beautiful. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite from your list is [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] personal, absolute favorite form of [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] is [name_f]Lisbeth[/name_f], and if I ever have a daughter, I might name her that.

I like Eliros a lot too.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f], but I’d like to second the suggestion of [name_f]Eliska[/name_f]!

@SheaJohannaRose [name_f]Lisbeth[/name_f] is nice, but it’s very popular in some Scandinavian countries, especially in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] and Denmark. I know two women named [name_f]Lisbeth[/name_f], so it seems a bit too popular next to my sons’ names.

[name_f]Elizaveta[/name_f] is stunning! :sparkling_heart: [name_f]Elisheva[/name_f] and Elírós are very interesting choices. I love that Elírós could be a subtle nod to your own name.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover: