Honoring family members with a middle name.. Could these old names be updated?

Hello! I put a post on here a while ago about naming our baby girl due in [name]June[/name]!

Here are the names we REALLY love.

[name]Serina[/name] [name]Haven[/name] Hicks
[name]Athena[/name] [name]Emerie[/name] Hicks

Unfortunately, [name]BOTH[/name] of us have great-grandmothers in the hospital right now, they are not doing very well and realistically will probably pass before she is born. I am not a huge fan of ‘family names’ but I do want to maybe honor their names in respect for them, we were both pretty close to our older relatives.

His gm’s name is [name]IRENE[/name] and mine is [name]PHYLLIS[/name]. Extremely old fashioned names… I thought of the idea of including them as a middle name, possibly double middle name, or updating them.

I thought of the name [name]Iris[/name] to honor [name]Irene[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think this is close enough to her name to honor her? [name]Iris[/name] is also a Greek name so it would go along with either [name]Serina[/name] or [name]Athena[/name], maybe even as a double middle name. Also, according to naming websites, [name]Iris[/name] is the ancient symbol of power and was dedicated to the God [name]Juno[/name] (She is due in [name]June[/name]!). What do you think about double middle names? (I think they sound a little trashy… but if it is honoring a relative, I would make an exception.)

I have NO clue about [name]Phyllis[/name]… it is very old fashioned and horrible in my opinion… Please give me any advice you can about this one!!

Also, how do you think these names would work with the names we picked out? Thanks!!

Well, I looked up [name]Phyllis[/name] here and it had some optional spellings that aren’t bad. What about [name]Phylla[/name] or Philise. It is also a Greek name, so I think it could work with your others.
[name]Serena[/name] [name]Iris[/name] [name]Phylla[/name]
[name]Athena[/name] [name]Iris[/name] [name]Philisse[/name]
I am also not a huge fan of 2 middle names, but in this case it makes sense. [name]Do[/name] either of your granmothers have middle names? And what about their maiden names? Another possibility is just using their initials. I really like [name]Iris[/name] for [name]Irene[/name]. I think it works great! Good luck, and I’m sorry for this difficult time.

When I read your suggestion of [name]Iris[/name], I thought it already combines the first 2 letters of [name]Irene[/name] and last 2 letters of [name]Phyllis[/name]. [name]Just[/name] a thought. Perhaps that one name could honor them both.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Are you on BG?

[name]Phyllis[/name]- [name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Irene[/name] is gorgeous. I don’t think it needs to be updated.

[name]Philippa[/name] is the obvious for [name]Phyllis[/name], or something like [name]Lissa[/name] could work if you take the end sound of it (said like the end of [name]Melissa[/name], rather than [name]Lisa[/name]). I know an [name]Irene[/name] that goes by [name]Renee[/name] (re-knee rather than ren-ay) so that could work. [name]Iris[/name] is lovely though and could honour both, as a pp has said.

I love the idea of two MNs. It doesn’t seem trashy to me at all, or pretentious, or anything like that. All of my children will likely have two MNs.

I like the idea of [name]Iris[/name] to honor both, and I think [name]Serina[/name] [name]Haven[/name] [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Serina[/name] [name]Iris[/name] [name]Haven[/name] would be really pretty. I really like just [name]Serena[/name] [name]Iris[/name]/[name]Serina[/name] [name]Iris[/name], too…

If you want another option for [name]Phyllis[/name], what about [name]Felicity[/name]? It has a very similar sound and I think [name]Serina[/name] [name]Haven[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]/[name]Serina[/name] [name]Felicity[/name] or [name]Athena[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]/[name]Athena[/name] [name]Emerie[/name] [name]Felicia[/name] would be nice.

Good luck!

Another idea is to use a name that carries the same meaning. [name]Irene[/name] means [name]Peace[/name] and [name]Phyllis[/name] means “green bough” which I would read as tree…

As for double middle names…our adopted DD has a double middle name. We always honor family with middle names, and we wanted to keep her birth name. So we named her, moved her original name to her 1st middle name, and gave her a family name as her 2nd middle name. So [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] [name]Rose[/name].

Thanks everyone! Wow, I never thought about honoring them both this [name]Iris[/name], thats pretty cool! We are leaning towards either [name]Serina[/name] [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Athena[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. Im not sure on their middle names, and both of their maiden names are very long, not sure if they could be usable as a name at all. Lisss would definately be usable for [name]Phyllis[/name]… Im a big fan of [name]Larissa[/name] but DH hates it lol. I am still half and half about the double middle names… I think they sound elegant and beautiful on some (such as [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Audrey[/name] [name]Rose[/name], that is gorgeous!!) especially if it is for the purpose of honoring relatives, but on some they sound just made up, I have friends with double middle names (I live in the south… when is this double name thing going to end down here!) such as [name]Jo[/name] [name]Marie[/name] or [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Joy[/name] and I think it looks pretty bad, almost like their parents couldnt decide on a middle name haha.

THANK YOU for all the input, it really has helped!

[name]Iris[/name] could honor both [name]Irene[/name] and [name]Phyllis[/name]!
The IR in [name]Irene[/name] and the IS from [name]Phyllis[/name]!
It’s a perfect name.

[name]Iris[/name] could certainly honor [name]Irene[/name] and [name]Phyllis[/name]. I love your idea of [name]Athena[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. It’s strong, feminine, and honors two relatives.

Best wishes to you and your family through the hard times.

[name]Serena[/name] spelled this way would certainly borrow from the “peace” meaning of [name]Irene[/name] (and also has sound overlap). Maybe spelled [name]Serina[/name] too, I just don’t know if there’s a different root? Still close though. I think [name]Serena[/name] will cause fewer spelling headaches, but [name]Serina[/name] certainly looks nice too. [name]Iris[/name] is a kind of plant so that connects to [name]Phyllis[/name]'s meaning. [name]Serena[/name]/[name]Serina[/name] [name]Iris[/name] is beautiful and honors them both.

[name]Athena[/name] [name]Iris[/name] is wonderful too, and even if there’s not quite as much meaning connection it’s just a great name.

[name]Philomena[/name]/[name]Filomena[/name] comes to mind for [name]Phyllis[/name], it is too rhymey with either [name]Serina[/name] or [name]Athena[/name], but if you like it and are liking [name]Iris[/name] enough, [name]Iris[/name] [name]Philomena[/name] would be beautiful!

[name]Sylvie[/name]/[name]Silvie[/name] to me has a lot of sound overlap with [name]Phyllis[/name], and the meaning of forest connects to the green bough. Pretty indirect but maybe another option if [name]Iris[/name] isn’t the one.

Good luck!

Honestly, I think unless the name is connected to the one you want to honor then it doesnt make a lot of sense. [name]Eliza[/name] for [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Athene[/name] or even [name]Minerva[/name] (I think her roman incarnation) for [name]Athena[/name] works but [name]Irene[/name] is a totally separate name from [name]Iris[/name]. Thats just my opinion and if another name makes you think of the person then I guess that is honoring in a way.