Honoring grandparents... help?

My grandparents are extremely important to me. Since my mom was a single mother and had to work they had a huge hand in raising me and they’ve been the only married couple in my life to still be happily married and in love after 55 years. My grandma has brain cancer and probably won’t live to see my kids, since children are at least 5 years in the future for me (barring an accident).

Obviously, honoring them with my kids names is SUPER important to me… but I need some appealing options. Their names are:
[name]Donald[/name] [name]Paul[/name]
and [name]Judith[/name] [name]Patricia[/name]
The only name I even remotely like out of those options is [name]Paul[/name]. Can you help me come up with some alternatives?

Also, would it be weird to honor my grandfather in a daughter’s name? For example, since he goes exclusively by ‘[name]Don[/name]’, would it be somehow disrespectful to name a daughter [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Dawn[/name]?

Likewise, would it be weird/rude/disrespectful to name a son after my grandmother, i.e. [name]Roland[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] or [name]Roland[/name] [name]Jude[/name]?

[name]TIA[/name] :o)

I can absolutely say that nothing is sweeter than naming your children after your parents, and using their names for children of the opposite gender is perfect if you dislike the actual names. It lets you use their name, but in a way you feel more comfortable with, which is definitely important. [name]Patricia[/name] becoming [name]Patrick[/name] is great, especially if you like [name]Patrick[/name] but not [name]Patricia[/name]. And the [name]Don[/name]/[name]Dawn[/name] thing is adorable! I have an uncle named [name]Don/name, and it was always a dream of his to name a child after himself. (He had one girl, named [name]Lucy[/name], who plans to name her firstborn [name]Donald[/name]. I’m going to pass on the [name]Dawn[/name] idea in case it’s a girl, if you don’t mind!) So yes, approval all around :slight_smile:

While I agree that it would honor your grandparents to use [name]Dawn[/name], [name]Patrick[/name], and/or [name]Jude[/name]… personally, I think [name]Paul[/name] would be great as a first or middle name, and [name]Judith[/name] could be a very, very lovely middle name. Of course, if it does not appeal to you, that is the important thing.

I do not think that it is weird/rude or disrespectful in anyway! i think it is more of an honor! and lydia dawn is toooooo cute! in fact i have never really thought about dawn as a first name instead of a middle name, but the more i think the more i like! i may have to steal this one - cause i am keeping my fingers crossed for this new one to be a girl but a 5th boy would be nice as well :slight_smile:

best of luck!

I think [name]Paula[/name] and [name]Jude[/name] are great ways of honoring them. [name]Jude[/name] is a great name! And I like [name]Paula[/name] a lot… as it is my BFF’s name. :slight_smile: I love the use of family names and I love that they had such a positive impact on your life. I’m sorry to hear about the cancer. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I think switching names to the opposite gender version is a GREAT idea! Some more alternatives I thought of:
[name]Donald[/name]: [name]Aldo[/name], [name]Aurora[/name] (means [name]Dawn[/name]…),[name]Dorothy[/name]/[name]Dorothea[/name] nn [name]Dolly[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]: [name]Paolo[/name], [name]Pauline[/name]/[name]Paola[/name]/[name]Paolina[/name], ____ nn [name]Polly[/name] ([name]Apolline[/name]?)
[name]Judith[/name]: just [name]Judith[/name] is great! Ju-names ([name]June[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], etc.)
[name]Patricia[/name]: [name]Patrizia[/name].

I hope that helps. (: Also, if you want to further honor your grandparents, maybe ask them now what their favorite names are, so that you could consider using some as mn’s (or even fn’s).

NameGoddess

I think it’s a wonderful idea! If you choose to honor your grandparents by naming your children after them, you should do it in a way you feel comfortable with. I really like the idea of switching the genders ([name]Patricia[/name] to [name]Patrick[/name], [name]Donald[/name] to [name]Dawn[/name], etc). I think it’s creative and cool.

I dont see it as disrespectful at all. I like the idea, actually. [name]Unique[/name].