Honoring Mom

We are saying goodbye to my mom today. Her name is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

I’m carrying my first child. A boy. I want to honor her. Please help me with name suggestions that might pay homage to her name, incorporate parts of it, or have anything you can think of.

5 Likes

So sorry for your loss. I can’t even imagine.

Neither [name_f]Mary[/name_f] nor [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] have masculine forms, but you could take letters from them, or names with similar meanings.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f]:
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
[name_m]Marinus[/name_m]
[name_m]Mark[/name_m]
[name_m]Marshal[/name_m]

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]:
[name_u]Elijah[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Elian[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Elbert[/name_m]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Elmer[/name_u] (This kind of combines both names?)
[name_m]Elwyn[/name_m]
Elric
[name_m]Elvar[/name_m]

2 Likes

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]:

[name_u]Eli[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_f]Bethan[/name_f]

[name_f]Mary[/name_f]:

[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_u]Marty[/name_u]
[name_m]Marlon[/name_m]
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlo[/name_u]

Maybe [name_m]Marius[/name_m], [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_m]Ryland[/name_m], [name_u]Mars[/name_u], [name_m]Marcel[/name_m], [name_m]Marco[/name_m], [name_m]Marek[/name_m], [name_m]Mariano[/name_m], or Amaro, or [name_u]Eli[/name_u], [name_u]Elisha[/name_u], [name_u]Elijah[/name_u] or [name_m]Ilya[/name_m] for a similar sound.

[name_u]David[/name_u] shares the “beloved” meaning with [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

Wishing you the best.

I’m so sorry for your loss, all the best to you and your family :heart:

[name_m]Marius[/name_m] was my first thought too. I think it’s beautiful, and would make for a lovely meaningful middle even if it feels a bit too brave for a first.

[name_u]Mars[/name_u] and [name_m]Mael[/name_m] could be interesting options as well, depending on your tastes.

What is your naming style like generally? Were there any names you were already considering?

I’m so sorry for your loss. I tried combining the letters into one name and some of my favorites I came up with were [name_f]Ellory[/name_f] and [name_m]Zachary[/name_m]. I also thought of [name_u]Marin[/name_u], a unisex name very similar to [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

1 Like

I’m so, so very sorry for your loss.

Mary…
Mo
Morris
Marion
Harry
Terry
Larry
Perry

Elizabeth…
Eli
Elias

I’m so sorry for your loss :heart:

The only ideas I have that haven’t been suggested already would be [name_m]Mario[/name_m] or [name_m]Marky[/name_m].

I have nothing more to add in terms of suggestions, just wanted to offer my condolences. I am so, so sorry for your loss, I recently lost a parent myself and I know there are no words that I could say to make it even a little better, but I wish you and your family all the peace and comfort you can possibly find in this time.

So sorry for your loss! I can’t think of any names that haven’t already been suggested, but you could use the M E initials (something like [name_m]Martin[/name_m] Edward) or possibly part of her maiden name?

1 Like

Mario and Marino come to mind.

Or simply Mel

Edit: Maurice/Maury

Sending you all my best wishes. What an emotional time of goodbyes and welcoming. I am incredibly sorry you have to say goodbye. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is a beautiful name and I know you will be able to find something wonderful to honour her.

Although [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is traditionally feminine, like a few others have said, there are some masculine names that are along a similar vein.

[name_m]Marius[/name_m] is a lovely suggestion. [name_u]Mars[/name_u] could also be a wonderful nickname for it, or even stand alone is a name in its own right.

If you decided to go for a name that is like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_u]Elijah[/name_u] / [name_u]Eli[/name_u] could be a good option. Some other nice variations of this could be [name_u]Elias[/name_u] or [name_u]Elliot[/name_u].

[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_m]Marius[/name_m] would be absolutely wonderful.

If none of these, or any of the other suggestions feel right, there are plenty of other ways you could consider honouring your mother. Perhaps a favourite city/country of hers? A favourite flower of hers?
(For example, [name_u]Milan[/name_u], [name_u]Paris[/name_u], London… [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_u]Royce[/name_u], [name_u]Rosario[/name_u], [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], if roses were her favourite flower)

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss – Mary Elizabeth is gorgeous. I’m especially fond of the suggestion of Marius for your son; it’s so familiar yet underused and has a rich, melodious, and “merry” ring to it. I imagine a sturdy seaman with twinkly eyes, salty wisdom, and a deep, slightly crackly voice prone to exciting such uproarious merrymaking that one finds oneself unconsciously listening intently, totally enraptured, before another thought. It could definitely fit a young boy, too. I realize Marius may be a bit “out there” for you, so here are some other suggestions.

The initials M.E. could work for honoring your mom:

Max Evan
Max Elijah
Miles Ethan
Mason Elias

1 Like

Firstly, I am so sorry for your loss

I think most of these will be repeats but here are my thoughts anyway…

[name_m]Marius[/name_m] or [name_m]Marinus[/name_m]
[name_m]Mario[/name_m]
[name_u]Marin[/name_u]
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlo[/name_u]
[name_u]Marty[/name_u]
[name_u]Maret[/name_u]

[name_u]Eli[/name_u]
[name_u]Elijah[/name_u]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] or [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Eliezer[/name_m]
[name_m]Eleazar[/name_m]
[name_u]Betony[/name_u]
[name_u]Seth[/name_u] (or Zeth?)

Maybe…
[name_u]Marley[/name_u] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_u]Marin[/name_u] [name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_u]Maret[/name_u] [name_u]Elijah[/name_u]
[name_m]Marius[/name_m] [name_u]Betony[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlo[/name_u] [name_u]Seth[/name_u] (I like the fact something like this starts with the first 3 letters of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and ends with the last 3 letters of Elizabeth)

I also like the pp idea of using names to match your mom’s initials M.E.

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Some suggestions that I thought of are:

Using her initials M. E. or E. M. Like:
*Martin [name_u]Edward[/name_u] or [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] [name_m]Matthew[/name_m]

Find a name the has the same meaning as either [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I liked the idea of [name_u]David[/name_u] from one of the previous posters.

What was her favorite color? What month was she born in? What was her birthstone? Birth flower? What was her favorite time of year? What were her hobbies? What city/ town was she born in? State? What was her Maiden name? What was her favorite animal? Some ideas would be: [name_u]Navy[/name_u], [name_u]Garnet[/name_u], [name_u]Fox[/name_u], [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_u]March[/name_u], [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]Baker[/name_u], [name_u]Gardener[/name_u], [name_u]Indiana[/name_u], [name_u]Dallas[/name_u]

Maybe you with find something unexpected, for example my son’s middle name is [name_m]Dixon[/name_m] as his great grandpa [name_m]Richard[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband refused to use the name [name_m]Richard[/name_m] even in the middle spot but I had my heart set on honoring great grandpa so [name_m]Dixon[/name_m] means son of Richard/ [name_m]Dick[/name_m]. [name_u]Or[/name_u] my youngest daughter’s middle name is [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. I wanted to give her the name [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] after one of my aunts but my husband refused so we went the a more subtle nod [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] was a common nn for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] years ago. I know what it means and it reminds me of aunt and makes my heart happy while giving her her own name.

Don’t be afraid to be creative an think outside the box. You might be surprised what you come up with. Hopefully this helps you come up with an idea that you love to honor your mom and your new son!

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was [name_u]Marin[/name_u], which is similar in sound and meaning (of the sea) to [name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_u]Eli[/name_u], [name_u]Elijah[/name_u] are good suggestions as well

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I think it is a great idea to remember your mom through your son. congratulations on your baby boy!

[name_f]Mary[/name_f]

[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_u]Elijah[/name_u]
[name_u]Eli[/name_u]
[name_m]Zabe[/name_m]

I hope you can find a name for you son that you love and gives you a wonderful connection to your mother :yellow_heart:

Names which share meanings with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]:
[name_u]Arliss[/name_u] - (also Hebrew)
[name_m]Gage[/name_m]
[name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m], [name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
[name_m]Homer[/name_m]

Names sharing Mary’s meaning of beloved:
[name_u]David[/name_u]
[name_u]Darrell[/name_u]
[name_m]Dewey[/name_m]
[name_m]Jeb[/name_m], [name_m]Jebediah[/name_m], [name_m]Jedediah[/name_m]
[name_u]Mirren[/name_u]

Combining letters in [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]:
[name_u]Ellery[/name_u], [name_u]Ellary[/name_u]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m]

I so sorry for your loss.

I think [name_m]Marius[/name_m] [name_m]Elbert[/name_m] could be a perfect honor name for [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

Here are some more [name_f]Mar[/name_f] and [name_f]El[/name_f] names to consider:

Marnix
[name_m]Marvin[/name_m]

[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_u]Elm[/name_u]
[name_m]Elmo[/name_m]

Thank you everyone. I think we have decided on [name_u]Wade[/name_u] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u].

[name_u]Wade[/name_u] had already been a consideration and we couldn’t shake the name for some reason even though it’s not exactly a top name. Maybe this was why.

Mary= beloved; drop of the sea
Wade= [name_m]Able[/name_m] to go; at the river crossing.

(4 letters, M vs W, “A”, and end in the letter E or the E sound. The meanings are thematic. [name_m]Able[/name_m] to go seems significant right now)

Elizabeth= God is my oath
Elliot= The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] is my God. Bravely. With Strength.

(Similar meanings. “ELI” letter format. And, again, the alternative meanings seem significant right now).

[name_u]Wade[/name_u] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]

7 Likes