Honoring our fathers

My husband and I both want to honor our fathers in a baby boy name. Their names are [name_m]Mark[/name_m] [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] and [name_u]Barry[/name_u] [name_m]Joe[/name_m].
I fell in love with McKay when I saw it, and it kind of has elements of both names. I just feel like my dad’s name ([name_m]Mark[/name_m]) would be more dominant in the name. I sort of like McBray (Macbrae, MacBray) because it has more of the two names. [name_u]Macrae[/name_u] is out of the question…it sounds like McCrazy! I know that would be a name that our child would be made fun of for.

So, which is better…
McKay or McBray (Macbrae, MacBray)?

Would McCoy be better?..maybe like Mark + Joe (FIL’s middle name)= McCoy?

Are either of these girly? Or could they be used for a boy?

And what is the best spelling for either?

yes, I know they sound like surnames, but I actually like that aspect of them.
And, the name might end up as a first or middle name. Its still up in the air.

My first thought with McBray was a donkey braying… personally I find that to be a rather unpleasant image. McKay is nice but the spelling and pronunciation will be confused with [name_u]MacKay[/name_u]- I know someone whose last name is [name_u]MacKay[/name_u] (rhymes with “day”) and she’s always getting it pronounced like McKay (ending like the letter I), it drives her crazy. [name_m]McCoy[/name_m] is nice but in [name_u]America[/name_u] there’s the Hatfield-[name_m]McCoy[/name_m] reference, not so much here in [name_f]Canada[/name_f]. None of them seem girly to me though.

Sorry, I’m not very helpful :frowning: The best suggestion I can think of is [name_m]Mark[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] as a double name. Oh- and are you sure it’s a boy? If it’s a girl you could use [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Jo/name_u which combines both.

McKay sounds very feminine to me because of all Mc girls names out there and because [name_u]Kay[/name_u] is more of girls name than a boys name now. I honestly don’t think any Mc name works well for a boy these days. It also sounds very trendy.

I would consider [name_m]Marco[/name_m] to combine [name_m]Mark[/name_m] and [name_m]Joe[/name_m]. Or pick another name you love and use [name_m]Mark[/name_m] and [name_u]Barry[/name_u] as middle names.