Honoring the Great Great Grands...

[name]Adeline[/name] + [name]Adelaide[/name]= [name]Adelaine[/name]?

My paternal great grandmother was [name]Adeline[/name] Ulrikke, and my maternal grandmother’s great grandma was [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Estelle[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Adelaine[/name] is a viable option to honor both?

I love [name]Adele[/name] and [name]Estelle[/name], but not in love with [name]Adeline[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name], and done have the courage to use Ulrikke. But does [name]Adelaine[/name] come across as made-up/ looks like/sounds like “[name]Add[/name] [name]Elaine[/name]” (although the “e” is softer in the pn like [name]Estelle[/name])??? [name]Adele[/name] doesn’t work for me with our surname, it feels choppy or incomplete as a given name. I like it as a nn, but I prefer 3syllable first names with our 1syllable surname.

Wdyt??
Thanks Berries

Yeah, [name]Adelaine[/name] does look a bit made up and reminds me of “add [name]Elaine[/name].” I like [name]Adele[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], and [name]Adeline[/name] better, but as far as made-up names go, it’s not bad.
I actually think you could use any [name]Ad[/name]- name ([name]Adelina[/name], [name]Ada[/name], [name]Adriana[/name], [name]Adina[/name], [name]Adelia[/name], etc.) and it would work to honor [name]Adeline[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name].

I agree with pp. It does seem made up, but it is not bad. I’m afraid people will think you are saying [name]Adelaide[/name].

I do think it sound a bit made up (which, I guess it is), but I’d be more concerned with how close it sounds to [name]Adelaide[/name]. I think most people will think that’s what you’re saying. Personally, I love both [name]Adeline[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name], as do many others - [name]Adeline[/name] is ranked #322, [name]Adelaide[/name] is #434. Then again, there were 21 Adelaines last year, so others are making up this name, too. :slight_smile: