Honour Name vs. My Own Favourite

I love planning my future kids’ names. And I’m sure that my first daughter will be [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. But I’m not sure about a middle. There are two possibilities:

Josephine [name_f]Leona[/name_f] - [name_f]Leona[/name_f] honours two important people for me. And I love the name.

Josephine [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] - [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] isn’t a honour name, but I love it so much - probably more than [name_f]Leona[/name_f].

Ethel is my absolute favourite. But I love [name_f]Leona[/name_f] too! But I love [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] more. But that doesn’t mean I don’t love [name_f]Leona[/name_f]. Plus it’s a honour name. But [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] is… awesome. But [name_f]Leona[/name_f] isn’t bad!

Should I go with my favourite, or the honour name?
Thanks in advance!

I would say go with your favorite! But if it hurts not to use the honor name, then there’s your answer.

Do I remember correctly that you don’t want a double middle? [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] or [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] [name_f]Leona[/name_f] would be beautiful!

1 Like

I like double middles but they’re hard to pair and I’m lazy :grin:

1 Like

Do you like [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] enough for a first name? You could always save it!

4 Likes

I feel that on a spiritual level.

This is a good point! [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Leona[/name_f] and [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] (insert middle name) would be beautiful as a sibset.

4 Likes

This is difficult. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Leona[/name_f] are both so beautiful, so it’s more a head over heart choice.

You might like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] [name_f]Leontine[/name_f]?
But they would be beautiful as a sibset, though.

1 Like

Go for your favorite! I love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]

1 Like

I think that [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Leona[/name_f] would work and then it would allow for another sibling to be named [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] _ . Either way works well.

1 Like

I think it depends on how much you love [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] and how many children you plan on having. [name_m]Say[/name_m] you have your [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], and then later have another daughter. If you use [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] as [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]’s middle then would you regret not saving it for a future daughter’s first name? Or are there other names you love more?

I think the easiest thing to do would use both as middle names! There’s nothing to stop you from giving one child two middles and the rest one.

1 Like

Josephine [name_f]Leona[/name_f] & [name_f]Ethel[/name_f] ??? (I think [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]’s mn should be longer to balance out how it sounds next to big sisters name)

Rosalind
[name_f]Mariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]

1 Like

I love nameberries because so often when I go into these types of threads, the advice given is so good and grounded in making sure the receiver is happy with the name they give their child. I would go with your favorite over an honor name, unless not using the honor name (in the event you don’t have a second daughter) hurts or makes you sad. But remember, naming a baby is usually a team undertaking, your partners thoughts and opinions may result in you using another name that isn’t even on your radar right now.

2 Likes