Hosea for a boy?

My husband and I are trying to conceive and we’re thinking about names. We’ve got a girl’s name but haven’t chosen a boy’s name.

For a boy, we love [name_m]David[/name_m] but it might be too common for us (especially if we end up only having one child). I love [name_m]Hosea[/name_m], but he’s not too sure about it as a first name. We’re going for an uncommon, familiar name but not too strange or trendy.

What do you think of [name_m]Hosea[/name_m]?

Names we like:
[name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_m]Hosea[/name_m]
[name_f]Cascade[/name_f]
McKenzie
[name_u]Auburn[/name_u]
[name_u]Camden[/name_u]
Townsend
[name_m]Rainier[/name_m]
[name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]

Thanks everyone!

Your style is very interesting! It’s hard to pin down, but I like that. What is your girl name, if I may ask?

[name_m]Hosea[/name_m]… I don’t love it because of the “hose” part at the beginning, but it’s not exactly bad. Would you have any interest in something like [name_m]Abner[/name_m], [name_m]Hiram[/name_m], [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], or [name_m]Phineas[/name_m]? They’re also uncommon and interesting biblical names and I think all of them are really nice.

From the rest of your list, I especially like [name_m]David[/name_m] (despite the popularity), [name_m]Rainier[/name_m], and [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]. Not such a fan of McKenzie or [name_u]Camden[/name_u], though, I’m afraid - both of those are also probably quite a bit more common than you think; [name_u]Camden[/name_u] was in the top 150 names last year. Pulling from my own lists, what do you think of [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] (also fairly popular but I love it, lol), [name_u]Sage[/name_u], or [name_u]Silver[/name_u]? Those seem like they could be up your alley.

Honestly, this name is pretty hard to know how to pronounce by reading, and I think that would be annoying as he grows up.

I adore [name_m]Hosea[/name_m], but I’m not sure it’s usable in an English speaking country. Where I live people would pronounce it correctly, but for an English speaking person Ho-say-ah doesn’t make much sense with this spelling, I suppose.

From the other names on your list I like [name_m]David[/name_m] and [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f].

Yeah I agree. I like [name_m]Hosea[/name_m], but would be difficult for nn. I dont like the Ho beginning.

I love Townsend! That’s my pick!

I don’t like [name_m]Hosea[/name_m] (the “hose” part stands out, he’d run into pronunciation issues) but I like it more than [name_m]David[/name_m], it’s much more exciting to me.
I love [name_m]Rainier[/name_m] and [name_u]Auburn[/name_u] for a boy! So handsome!
Ideas:
[name_m]Spurgeon[/name_m]
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_m]Cillian[/name_m]
[name_m]Caio[/name_m]
[name_m]Cove[/name_m]
[name_m]Duke[/name_m]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Forrest[/name_m]
[name_m]Foster[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]
Fenris
[name_m]Flint[/name_m]
[name_u]Frost[/name_u]
[name_u]Finch[/name_u]
[name_m]Fraser[/name_m]
[name_m]Hakon[/name_m]
Harvest
[name_m]Huck[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivo[/name_m]
[name_m]Inigo[/name_m]
[name_m]Icarus[/name_m]
[name_m]Ike[/name_m]
[name_m]Ignacio[/name_m]
[name_m]Joel[/name_m]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_m]Lucan[/name_m]
Locryn
[name_m]Leviathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Laszlo[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxfield[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicasio[/name_m]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u]/[name_u]Auberon[/name_u]
Oleander
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]
[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]
[name_m]Stanford[/name_m]
[name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m]

skiftande, our girl name is [name_f]Lilias[/name_f] [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]

Thanks everyone! Those are some good name suggestions as well. The ones that stand out are [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], [name_u]Orion[/name_u], and [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]. Husband likes [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]. [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] might be too outside of the box. I adore [name_u]Orion[/name_u], but our last name is O’[name_u]Neil[/name_u] and I don’t think [name_u]Orion[/name_u] O’[name_u]Neil[/name_u] flows very well.

[name_f]Lilias[/name_f] [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] is beautiful!

[name_u]Orion[/name_u] O’[name_u]Neil[/name_u] is probably too much of the strong O sound, I think. But [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] or [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] would be perfect; both work really well together and with [name_f]Lilias[/name_f], too, if you have a second child.

I love [name_m]Hosea[/name_m]! The similarity to [name_m]Jos[/name_m]é helps it feel familiar. I think it’s a lovely and underused Biblical appellation.

The first 4 times I saw the name, I thought it was “Horsea”… Like the pokémon. And I thought, what the heck?

I’m not sure now that I have it straight thay it’s “[name_m]Hosea[/name_m]” that it’s any better, still…

Does it rhyme with [name_u]Josie[/name_u], but mean someone who is “loose?” [name_m]Hosie[/name_m] and the Pussiecats? I think the teasing could be particularly bas with this name.

I have to admit that I cannot figure out the pronunciation of this name. Nothing feels natural.