Hot Takes? šŸ¤­

@dogs_books [name_f]My[/name_f] last name is [name_f]Tinsley[/name_f], and when me and the hubs got married my family told me that they love the name [name_f]Tinsley[/name_f] and should name a kid that. [name_m]Ah[/name_m] yes, [name_f]Tinsley[/name_f] [name_f]Tinsley[/name_f] wouldnā€™t be made fun of at all :joy:

4 Likes

@allroundthesun I agree with you for most of these, although I do love [name_u]Wilde[/name_u] and [name_u]Wilder[/name_u], for girls and boys. I associate it more with being wild and free rather than uncontrollable.

5 Likes

I agree with the sentiment of what you are saying and what compounds is it the negative reaction if you choose the opposite, such as softer names for boys, or those with a softer meaning. I am not sure I agree on all the names though and there are of course always exceptions. [name_u]Rebel[/name_u] [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] comes to mind :slight_smile: I do like [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] for girls and [name_u]Scout[/name_u] for both girls and boys. [name_u]Harley[/name_u] of course is trending more for girls lately and [name_f]Mercedes[/name_f] is typically a girlā€™s name although one could make the car association there too.

1 Like

Wilde to me gives it a totally literary feel rather than a wild rebellious or wild nature feel. I like [name_u]Wilde[/name_u].

5 Likes

Naming your child after a father is unnecessary, especially considering that most children will already share their fatherā€™s last nameā€¦

11 Likes

Honoring females for boys seems to be problematic for some people and again the opposite is not true. I had a discussion a while back about this with someone who told me how you couldnā€™t honor for example a grandmother or mother in naming a boy and yet it was perfectly fine to honor the father or grandfather with a daughters name. She just seemed blind to the double standard.

4 Likes

I cannot understand the appeal of Assel. It starts with a$$! All I can picture is relentless lifelong teasing.

Also dislike [name_u]Harry[/name_u] & [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], although oddly enough I do like [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]. I usually find I like the full name but not the standard nn. As inā€¦ [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] is fine, but I donā€™t like [name_m]Fred[/name_m]. I dislike little boy nicknames as the first name. I donā€™t think an adult wants to be [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] his whole life.

I love [name_u]James[/name_u] for a girl or boy.

I love [name_m]Ransom[/name_m]. Itā€™s a family name for me, but most people have a very negative reaction to it.

I like [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], etc but feel they are too popular. I wouldnā€™t want to be one of 3 or 4 kids in class with same name.

I do like [name_m]Ransom[/name_m] after watching Knives Out. [name_m]Ransom[/name_m] is played by [name_u]Chris[/name_u] [name_m]Evans[/name_m] in a beautiful white cable knit sweater but the name is still a bit edgy which I like.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve always loved the nn [name_u]Red[/name_u] for [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]!

8 Likes

Yes, I generally donā€™t like tough masculine sounding names though there are exceptions like [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_m]Colt[/name_m], [name_u]Remington[/name_u], [name_u]Wilde[/name_u]/Wilder, [name_u]Ryder[/name_u], and [name_u]Ryker[/name_u].

I probably wouldnā€™t use [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] - I just like the sound and the first kid I met named [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] when I was 7 was not masculine at all so thatā€™s probably why I donā€™t associate it as masculine and didnā€™t think of hunting til I got older.
[name_m]Colt[/name_m] - I just really liked reading about horses when I was a kid long before I found out it could be a personā€™s name but I donā€™t think I would use this name now
[name_u]Remington[/name_u] - sounds more upper class and british than masculine to me and I just seem to be attracted to these kinds of names for some reason
[name_u]Wild[/name_u](er) - I kind of like the concept of being wild and free for both genders and it makes me think of [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Ingalls [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_u]Ryker[/name_u]/Ryder - I think I just like these because I like a lot of ā€˜raiā€™ names like [name_u]Rye[/name_u], [name_m]Ryland[/name_m], [name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], etc lol

None of these are my absolute favorites so I probably wonā€™t be using any of these though

1 Like

I donā€™t like [name_u]Rae[/name_u], [name_u]Ray[/name_u], [name_u]Rei[/name_u] (etc) or [name_u]Rain[/name_u], [name_u]Reign[/name_u], [name_f]Raine[/name_f]. They arenā€™t terrible but I donā€™t see the appeal or understand why theyā€™ve become so popular as girls middle names.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how controversial these are but here are some of the weird things I like/dislike.

I love [name_u]Clarke[/name_u] on a girl. I donā€™t know if iā€™d be brave enough to use it, but I created a character with this name and now I really like it.

I like short kind of masculine virtue names on girls, like [name_m]Able[/name_m]([name_f]Abelia[/name_f]), [name_u]Valor[/name_u], and [name_u]Honor[/name_u].

James and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] used to be my favorite names, so the popularity didnā€™t bother me. Sadly, I liked them too much for too long so now they just seem boring. :pensive:

I like weird boys names that end in i/y. like Peery, [name_m]Kenji[/name_m], [name_f]Rhody[/name_f], and [name_u]Eli[/name_u]

I donā€™t like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] but I like [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]. ??

I also also really like boys names that end in S, see [name_m]Ferris[/name_m], [name_m]Harris[/name_m], [name_m]Remus[/name_m] and [name_m]Seamus[/name_m]

Some girls names based on books and my experiences just sound bratty/like a bully to me like [name_u]Andrea[/name_u], [name_f]Brianna[/name_f] and [name_f]Amanda[/name_f]

Some classic and nice boys names just sound boring to me like [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_u]George[/name_u], and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

3 Likes

I donā€™t hate [name_f]Millie[/name_f], but I also love [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] and think [name_f]Millie[/name_f] would be weird in my accent. [name_u]Red[/name_u] could make for a cool nn!

2 Likes

@sgsg8 I love [name_m]Kenji[/name_m]! Also [name_m]Benji[/name_m] :blush: And Iā€™ve liked the name [name_u]Honor[/name_u] for a girl since I met one with the name years ago- I thought it was both pretty and cool!

Also @anon68906791 Iā€™m the exact opposite, lol- I donā€™t love [name_f]Mildred[/name_f] but do adore [name_f]Millie[/name_f]! I like it on its own or as a nickname for [name_f]Milena[/name_f].

2 Likes

Mildred makes me think of mildew and dread :weary:

9 Likes

I like [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], but really dislike [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], which seems to be the more popular spelling on here. Both the look and the sound are so much less appealing to me: [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] has strength and history but also seems gentle and lacy, while [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is just overly harsh to me.

2 Likes

I love this idea. You just redeemed this name for me!

1 Like

Beatrix isnā€™t another spelling of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. Theyā€™re two different names.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s actually what I donā€™t like about [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]. It feels very lacy (great word to describe it! Iā€™ve been saying frilly, but didnā€™t seem quite right). [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] has a lot more spunk to me, which is something I really like in a name.

1 Like

Very true! [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is the medieval Italian version of the late Latin, [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], so [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] actually came first.

3 Likes