Hot Takes? šŸ¤­

[name_f]Ottilia[/name_f]?

1 Like

Maybe she means the entire family.

Odette, for example, is distantly related.

3 Likes

YES thatā€™s the other one I was thinking of!

2 Likes

Odette reminds me of the Spanish verb odiar (to hate), so that makes me not so fond of it.

Learning Spanish has also ruined [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] for me. Those first four letters donā€™t have the best meaning.

3 Likes

i think [name_f]Karen[/name_f] is a nice nameā€¦

7 Likes

@aiksx So do I. I have several in my own family, one of which is amazing. I wish the meme would disappear because it hurts so many people with the name.

6 Likes

Nameberry community isnā€™t open to international names.

There, I said it.

We all will say we love new international names, but many of us will judge them based on how they sound in [name_f]English[/name_f].

Put them in a poll with [name_f]English[/name_f] names, and probably they will get the least votes. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] will win over [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f]. [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] will be loved a lot while [name_f]Aditi[/name_f] has a few votes. Thatā€™s often the case. Because we are humans, and we just go with what sounds familiar to us.

Cultural appropriation is a thing, but putting anotherā€™s cultureā€™s name on our lists wonā€™t hurt anyone. It just shows we like it. We donā€™t use every name on our lists.

No offence anyone, I include myself too. Iā€™ll try get out of my comfort zone from now.

25 Likes

To clarify: Here, ā€œ[name_f]English[/name_f] namesā€ refer to names well established in Anglophone areas, not just names of [name_f]English[/name_f] origin. Western Europe in general.

4 Likes

Me too, but weirdly enough, I quite like [name_f]Opaline[/name_f]

1 Like

cannot believe americans are calling their children ā€˜[name_m]Thatcher[/name_m]ā€™ not only does it sound bad, is a word name but all i think of when i hear it is [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m] :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

I strongly dislike [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] and detest [name_m]Jaxxon[/name_m], but I actually really like [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]. If it werenā€™t so popular it would probably be on my list.

3 Likes

itā€™s one of those names where iā€™m likeā€¦ of ALL the names out there, you chose this one? :rofl: the roofing name? the margaret thatcher name? please.

2 Likes

I like to write something before I type a name on Nameberry so that the name turns a pretty color and has the clickable link to the name page :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

11 Likes

Itā€™s funny you mention this now, because I was just thinking today about how Iā€™ve never see [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f] on Nameberry, it does seem to be a [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]/Beatrice dichotomy here

2 Likes

In my opinionā€¦
[name_f]Beatriz[/name_f] > [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]> [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is kinda overrated, to be honest.

I write stories, and I have a character named [name_f]Lumi[/name_f]. I love her name. Itā€™s just too bad that she isnā€™t very niceā€¦

[name_f]Nell[/name_f] isā€¦ okay, I guess. But then again, Iā€™m not really a fan of [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] or anything else that it could be short for.

2 Likes

Nameberry loves international names as long as they fit into Anglican standards of what names should be/follow [name_f]English[/name_f] naming patterns

I get so many comments in the rate my UC thread like ā€œIā€™ve never heard [name_f]Ilse[/name_f]/Ivalo/Ffion/Zsuzsa before, 3/10ā€ or ā€œIā€™m not sure how to pronounce that, 2/10ā€.

If you ask, you might like it!

19 Likes

itā€™s frustrating, but thereā€™s only so much we can do when the vast majority of NBā€™s community is white and AFAB. it doesnā€™t allow for a diverse set of opinions - you even see it in NBā€™s databases; there are names highly popular in largely-nonwhite countries that arenā€™t on NB.

4 Likes

I agree so much and it irritates me to no end. I donā€™t even read the NB descriptions anymore because of the comments they make to international names. As a Hispanic when I see comments about how hard Spanish names are it drives me crazy, yes some of them are hard, but with a little bit of effort it doesnā€™t take that long to get it. And it applies to so many other cultures, Iā€™m just using Spanish cause Iā€™m most familiar. We shouldnā€™t have to abandon a name we love just because you canā€™t pronounce it the first time you ever see it. It just comes down to plain manners, you learn how to say it because that is a real person.

18 Likes

this ^^^

11 Likes

Iā€™ve largely given up trying to talk about my Hebrew name options on here recently. Itā€™s always the same few names that work in [name_f]English[/name_f] when itā€™s really not the point of those combos for me. It really sucks though cause my parents arenā€™t into names and other specifically Jewish naming communities arenā€™t really geared towards just collecting names.

Most of my favorites arenā€™t in the database :sweat_smile:

I canā€™t really picture how annoying and discouraging it would be to only be looking for a name from a culture that doesnā€™t conform to [name_f]English[/name_f] standards. At least I can figure out secular names on here.

13 Likes