Hot Takes? 🤭

Let’s stop this argument here, please. After review we have decided to suspend this user, and several posts making personal accusations on both sides have been deleted.

29 Likes

Some people dislike gender bending names, throughout history some names have changed multiple times. Names like [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u], [name_u]Allison[/name_u] and [name_u]Delaney[/name_u] were boys names first, so it wouldn’t be that crazy for them to become boys names again. Many older names have cycled between girl and boys names, like name popularity cycles.

9 Likes

I actually adore nimrod and nim is such a sweet nn :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: unusable here, but we can dream :blush:

4 Likes

[name_f]Ella[/name_f] > [name_f]Emma[/name_f]

7 Likes

ella = emma !!

6 Likes

[name_f]Emma[/name_f] >>> [name_f]Ella[/name_f]

6 Likes

ramsey/ramsay etc is totally ruined for me because of the game of thrones character. i can’t separate them at all :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

I can’t find the name ranking forum

Here you go :black_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

there’s a game of thrones character with that name? Sorry, I just think of [name_m]Gordon[/name_m] Ramsay…

4 Likes

hot take of the day:
I like [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] for a boy much more than for a girl…:flushed:

6 Likes

yeah, ramsay bolton. i can’t really get into the specifics of what he did, but he uh was a rapist and tortured multiple people throughout the show. complete sadist.

3 Likes

oh my word

2 Likes

Not really a hot take, but I’ve been thinking about it recently so to nameberry I come!

I was given a nickname when I was little (apparently not planned, my name was not going to be shortened). It’s a normal nickname for my birth name - like [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], or [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] for [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]. However, everyone stopped calling me by my full name. I stopped identifying with my full name, and being a shy introverted person, I found it difficult to tell others I do not go by my full name. I actually find my full name beautiful and lovely, but when people call me it, my body just doesn’t respond! I remember a teacher calling on me but I did not recognise it as me, and so they always said I don’t even know my own name, I must have dementia etc.

All this to say, growing up I vowed to give any child of mine a name that she won’t have to correct for anyone. However, now I am older, I have fallen for names with ‘nickname potential’, and longer-syllable names. For example my top girls name is [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]. While I love her for lots of reasons (meaning, honoring, sounds wonderful with my sir name), I adore that she has so many options to go by. I was filling out a form today and had to type in my full name and I was reminded of my dilemma - will I be putting my child through the hindrance of identifying with a name that’s different than their full name?

This is really not an issue really. There’s a strong chance that my child will be far my confident and be able to tell others who they are and how they want to be known. They may even love the idea of different options. It just made me ponder on how our own experience of our names effect how we name. In naming our children, are we in turn righting the perceived wrongs we have with our own names?

18 Likes

One solution may be calling your child by various nicknames and their full name so they identify with each of them.

Isn’t that just parenting in general? I think we will all make mistakes, if not the same ones our parents made, then different ones we never thought would become an issue.
I say the same goes for naming. Maybe what I like about a name my child will dislike, maybe what I dislike they will like, you just never know!

3 Likes

Me too, darling. Me too.

I find this very interesting! As a person who is like a [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] “Rosie” or what have you, I have been called by my nn my entire life. And honestly, yeah, I think that I do identify with my nn more than my full name oftentimes. So I also see that.
But to answer your question, I think that a large percentage of the time, that is definitely true. Parents named [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] probably wouldn’t name their daughter [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], because they were tired of being called [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] P. and [name_u]Michael[/name_u] R. their entire childhoods. People named after a not-super-great celebrity or family member probably would avoid that in naming their son.
I think one of the biggest parts in parenting is doing what you didn’t like about your parents/what they did as a kid. [name_m]Little[/name_m] children always say “When I have a kid, they can do whatever they want!” That’s because then, that little, they didn’t like rules. So, if you don’t like your name, are you going to give your kid one like it? I think no is a solid answer.
However, that doesn’t guarantee your child will, but regardless of that, I know there’s several users here who view names as a gift. The thought and love and time you put into a name is your first gift to your little one.
But, needless to say, I hope this rambling of a sort made sense! :blush:

10 Likes

I love unisex names! It took a bit for them to grow on me but I love so many of them now. They don’t seem to get much love on here unfortunately. I think they sound and work great. Today I really like Darby :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

YES I love all of these names so much! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I love thinking up name aesthetics, sibsets, and who these little people could become because names are fun for me as a way to imagine this happy future. Sadly, there are now so many names that I’ve loved so aggressively that now I feel like I can’t use them because x couldn’t be brunette or y has to be born in [name_u]October[/name_u]. I almost feel like I’d be better off using a name I feel comfortable with but doesn’t quite have a love connection because then the name would be built around the child rather than the dream.

Maybe this belongs more in Name Rants? I don’t know anymore

10 Likes