Hot Takes? 🤭

Some others have mentioned this, but I feel like you can call your kid whatever you want if they have a more traditional name to fall back on. Growing up, many of the people I knew had different combinations of the same set of more traditional names but nicknames were common and accepted by everyone. If a girl was named [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and went by [name_f]Bunny[/name_f] or Hilly or [name_u]Happy[/name_u] or whatever else, no one cared! Name and then call your child whatever your family wants-they can always return to their formal name if they want.

7 Likes

Love Lora, Loren, Lorence and Lorabelle! And Loren on a boy or Lauren on a boy should happen! What makes Ellen and Lauren girls names but Allen, Ellis, Laurent and Soren mostly boys names? That confuses me.

Different take about nn, it is harder but sometimes people’s first names just don’t them (not just trans, enby’s, Ect). I don’t think it makes sense to plan call a child a nn of there middle, why not just have the middle as the first? Sometimes people go by their full middle, which has some exceptions because maybe your middle is Legacy or Legend that your parents didn’t want as your first. But unless there is a specific reason, just have the middle as the first. (With the exception of pet names like Bunny, Sweetheart, Bear, because they are clearly not full names {unless some people are but I’ve never seen it}.

1 Like

this is news to no one but I am in the “if you feel it works, it works” camp for honors

like: robert to honor a morrigan

the morrigan I know went by “marybob” for a significant portion of her life
bob comes from robert
therefore robert honors morrigan

does it make sense ?? barely. but I was thinking about morrigan when I made a robert combo and to me, that means that it is an honor. at the end of the day and honor isn’t for other people to see, it’s for you, the child, and the person you are honoring. so if it makes sense to you that’s the ultimate declaration of whether it makes sense or not.

13 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] preferences on common place names: [name_u]London[/name_u] is better on a boy, [name_f]Frances[/name_f] is better on a girl and [name_u]Paris[/name_u] is better on the city. (And I think [name_f]Frances[/name_f] makes more sense than [name_u]Francis[/name_u] as a name)

2 Likes

I agree with you that anything can be an honour name if you personally feel it honours that person / the name makes you think of them / it makes sense to you. The thing is though, if you’re asking other people’s opinions for if something can work, e.g. “can [name_m]Carmichael[/name_m] work as an honour for James”, the majority of people are not going to see it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if there is a long story which you explain behind that (your uncle [name_m]Jim[/name_m] had a car which he called [name_u]Michael[/name_u] etc), most people still aren’t going to make that connection. That doesn’t mean it can’t work as an honour if you really feel it works. But if you’re asking for thoughts and then flip round and say “well technically anything can work as an honour” when people say they can’t see it, I think that destroys the point of asking (not saying you or anyone else does this, just using that as an example). Like it can still be helpful to know what other people think/if it makes sense as an honour to others, even if technically anything can be an honour.

6 Likes

I absolutely agree !! when people make polls about whether an honor works, I assume that they are trying to gauge how obvious an honor is to others :blush:

4 Likes

The best nn for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is [name_m]Thor[/name_m]. I said what I said :relieved: [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] is cute too, but I slightly prefer it as a nn for [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]

7 Likes

YES

Teddy and Theo I both prefer for Theodora, but my fav full for Teddy is Matilda :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Aw I’ve never thought of [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], that’s cute. I’m neutral on [name_u]Theo[/name_u], but I definitely prefer it on girls as well

2 Likes

I saw it from @rosepip just randomly and kinda fell in love, named a character it too

2 Likes

Same. If they wanted to honor me I’d rather pick between their top two or maybe choose a middle name or something like that

2 Likes

if you’re asking for an opinion on a name that you love, don’t listen to what people on here tell you. everyone comes from different walks of life. everyone has their own connotations. at the end of the day, if you love the name, then use it. unless the name in question has terrible (person) negative associations, or terrible media references, then you’re free to name your child that. (or hypothetical children that)

everyone has their own styles, and especially with international names, not every human is going to like it. this is okay. it’s your kid (or just name). it’s their name (or hypothetical name).

if you love the name, own it. please use it.

your names, your usercards–they aren’t for others. their yours.

14 Likes

i agree with that to some extent but, i feel if you truly love a name, you won’t be asking for others opinions unless it is to decide on which mn is better etc.

3 Likes

Not necessarily. You can truly love a name but still not be 100% sure if it’s best for your circumstances. (Like for example, similar names to a family member / friend, potentially offensive, potentially too complicated for where you live, etc).
And some people simply ask for opinions because they like seeing other peoples’ thoughts & perspective, regardless of whether they take them into consideration or not.

10 Likes

Sometimes it can be a situation where the first name is an honor/name tradition (maybe a parent is the third or something and wants to pass it on), and the middle name is what they really want to call the child or they go by it to avoid confusion. If that’s not the case (or some other reason) though I do agree that if you’re going to call a child by their middle name, just make it the first!

My stance on nicknames is that nicknames that just come naturally are fine, but I don’t want to plan them. The names on my list have a lot of significance to me and I’d rather use the form I want than a longer version that isn’t as meaningful. That being said, everyone has different reasons for a nickname and that’s fine! You do you (:

4 Likes

While I agree that nicknames that come naturally are great as well, in my family we have 6 Chrises, a [name_f]Krissy[/name_f] and a [name_f]Kristi[/name_f]. If I wanted to name my child a name where [name_u]Chris[/name_u] is a primary nickname such as [name_u]Christian[/name_u] or [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], I would come up with a planned nickname to differentiate between him and all the others for everyone’s sake.

3 Likes

Exactly. Also, you can be 100% in love with a name and still make a thread about it? When I see a thread titled “WDYT of [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] Swift’s new album”, I assume that OP does very much like it and simply enjoys talking about it, not that they’re on the fence and need to be talked into it. Why would “WDYT of [name_f]Anniston[/name_f] Scout” be any different?

7 Likes

my hot take of the day is: keith is ready for revival !! I love keith !!

6 Likes

keith is my grandpa’s name and as much as i adore him, i do not think his name will ever be ready for revival :eyes: :two_hearts:

love it for you tho russy :heartpulse:x

5 Likes

Hot take: why can’t we all the same combos on our UC? What I’m talking about is the Adopt a combo thread, I think it’s a bit ridiculous.

For me personally, idc if another person likes [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] or [name_u]Salem[/name_u] [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f], or something like that, and put it on their UC. Bc my taste in changes so much and I don’t look at my UC that much to update it.

And for people who’s been wanting to put my combos in their UC, you can, and you don’t even have to ask, nor give me credit. It’s not like we’ll meet each irl, and if we did, I still wouldn’t care, bc at the end of rhe day, they’re just names for everyone to like.

13 Likes