Hot Takes? 🤭

For me it’s [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. I’ve always been kind of indifferent about [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], but like I’ve said several times, that name invites so much bullying in my experience as a teacher. I can’t think of another name that is the source of teasing as often, except maybe Biggles.

4 Likes

like rosemarie !!

3 Likes

I see [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemarie[/name_f] as separate related names (like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are pronounced differently and have different vibes). I think that you just prefer [name_f]Rosemarie[/name_f] and are contorting the pronunciation of [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] to match.

1 Like

I pronounce [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] as ROSE-muh-ree rather than like the two separate names [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] (rose MARE-ee) or [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Marie[/name_u] (rose mah-REE). It’s more similar to the last one I guess, but the stress is still different. This is also the only way I’ve ever heard it pronounced :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t understand the appeal of [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f].
I love the name [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (for a girl) and [name_m]Chester[/name_m].

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] aunt’s middle name is [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], and she pronounces it as rose-mer-ee.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is unpopular, but I feel like hearing a first + middle name(s) combo and hearing it with the family name can change how I feel about it completely. Combos that may sound weird to me on their own may sound nice or “complete” with the surname added, of course on a internet forum it makes sense to leave off the last name to keep everyone safe and private so I’m not saying people should add it, just that it can change my thoughts on a name.

15 Likes

I don’t think it’s an unpopular opinion, just not stated very often. I find that I usually trial and error some of my names with various surnames. It does change how I look at a full name here and there, but some full names fit well with any of the surnames I choose to use with them.

2 Likes

Double middles need to be more common!! Especially here in the US.

11 Likes

Emma is a cute name but it’s way too popular!! Plus I know an Emma who ruined it.

ETA - The name Ruin is cute. And I mean that like I literally named an OC of mine Ruin. Wren is adorable but the spelling is ugly. I prefer weird spellings like Rhen. NN are adorable and can come from everything. Just because I name my kid Lilibet doesn’t mean Willa is a stretch (Lila - Willa.) Not a hot take but, stop telling your family the name before you have the baby! It can-and most likely will if you are a berry who likes berry names like Peregrine-ruin everything! Virtue names should just like…stop. It’s fine if you name your kid something that is one on accident but stop picking names just because they are virtuous!!

1 Like

I love double middles! They’re actually very realistic for me to use because my fiancé has two middle names.

1 Like

So lucky!! [name_f]My[/name_f] Mom whenever shown double middle combos is always like “Why not just take out one of the middle names?” Mom, it completely ruins the flow.

I wish my country had middle name traditions because using patronims is quite sexist & dull.

Also, I don’t understand people who think that there are “right” nicknames and not right. You can’t call her [name_f]Sima[/name_f], because it is short for [name_f]Simona[/name_f], not for Seraphima!!!. Here it is everywhere /sight/

Oh, and yes. Children aren’t being bullied for names, they are bullied because someone wants to bull. If teenagers want to mock someone, they will find a reason. And we should work with those who bull and not with potential victims.

14 Likes

[name_f]Dora[/name_f] is a great name and if it weren’t so associated with the explorer, I think it would become a nameberry favorite! I hope it starts to shed that association soon and people see it more as a vintage name ready for revival. With names like [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], and [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] becoming more popular here, [name_f]Dora[/name_f] can’t be too far behind!

14 Likes

Reposted with sensors after getting removed.

Names like [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] give me bad vibes. And I don’t mean like just “He seems mean” I mean like…v1olent vibes.

1 Like

I’m the same - [name_m]Gunner[/name_m], [name_u]Axel[/name_u], etc all give me these vibes too.

2 Likes

I don’t know why I’m thinking of this right now but, please don’t name your baby after a politician. Especially not after one who is widely disliked (and for a good reason.) Sorry if that’s too political but I can totally see babies being used as a weapon for someone to show how much they love someone in particular. Your kid isn’t a tool.

6 Likes

The downside of this thought is that many people name their children for family and friends important in their lives, but, due to the fact that we don’t have to prove who we name our kids for, too many people assume we name our kids for a well-known person with that name, famous or infamous.

For example, my Papa was named [name_m]Donald[/name_m]. Since I don’t have to show my family tree to anybody and everybody out there and the fact that he died when I was 10 means most people haven’t met or heard of him unless they know my family intimately. This also means that people will probably assume (quite incorrectly) that I named my son for [name_m]Donald[/name_m] Trump if I choose to use my Papa’s first name in the future.

12 Likes

Not speaking of first names here! [name_m]Just[/name_m] in specific to clear it up, I was thinking of someone naming their baby Trump. I hope my post didn’t offend you!

ETA - it would be like someone naming their baby Hitler. It’s already with a negative association but, if they named it for the reason I said (they idolize them) it’s awful.

2 Likes

It’s fine. I knew when I added [name_m]Donald[/name_m] to my list that it would be controversial due to the former president and expect the disparaging comments quite often… in fact, I have had them on other websites which is why it took a while to really add it to my list on here.

But in the future, be a little more specific. A statement that broad could be taken many different ways and someone could take it wrong.