Hot Takes? 🤭

I will now forever associate the name [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] with dogs, same with [name_u]Cody[/name_u]. Also, animal names (Fox, [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_u]Wolf[/name_u], etc) are just…. Not it

1 Like

I love Berlyn… I’ve never heard it before and I know it has the association with the country & it’s history, but I think it would be so cute for a baby girl!

I also love [name_u]Carter[/name_u], [name_u]Logan[/name_u], [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] & [name_u]Noah[/name_u] for girls!

Also I don’t like the idea of honor names, they just aren’t my thing. I don’t necessarily care if somebody else uses it as long as they LIKE the name and they aren’t just using it to make family happy.

4 Likes

this is how i feel too! sometimes, i feel the need to vote against honor names because i worry that the person is only considering it because it’s an honor, not because they actually like it as a name

7 Likes

am i allowed to say that i’m a little tired of the sudden mass of new ‘make a…’ posts ? they almost have taken over the forums, and each one feels so similar to the next :confounded:

14 Likes

it doesn’t necessarily bother me because it can be a good way for me to get inspired on combos or names. but i do wish that we had A Place for them - like a “name talk” section which I think was suggested before? then the purely “baby names” section of the forum could be used more like the girl names/boy names sections which are used more for individuals to ask questions or get advice. the combo making threads don’t really fit in bng where cafs dominate and I think someone even posted that, right now, it’s better to make two separate threads for boy names and girl names than to make one in “baby names”

7 Likes

:point_up:

This. I think they do belong on Nameberry and it is a good idea to make the nurseries separate threads so they don’t clog up the main threads, but they’re currently the one thing that dominates the Baby Name Section, like the alphabet polls did before and the “rename me” threads before that and so on. There were talks about creating a new forum just for them back then too, but that’s too complicated to do on a whim, and most trends die down at some point so an extra category isn’t worth it. I guess we’ll just wait for this to die too? (I say while actively contributing to keeping it alive…) As long as there still are the Boy Names and Girl Names sections it’s not too bad if Baby Names is clogged up.

8 Likes

that’s a really pretty name!!

1 Like

There’s [name_m]Kanan[/name_m] which is a legit name!

4 Likes

When I had my name crush on [name_m]Kenan[/name_m] earlier this year my bf kept asking “isn’t it spelled Kanaan?” sooo… I suppose I agree?

2 Likes

Idk if this is a hot take per se but I think Nameberry’s multiple audiences in general causes major miscommunication on this site.

For example, I was telling a non-berry friend I was excited because [name_f]Honeysuckle[/name_f] was finally in the database and happened to mention getting some Irish names added. I was excited because to me the database is about exploring all the possibilities for what us humans call each other. I love knowing that [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] can become [name_f]Bitsy[/name_f] and things like that. Besides, as a writer, having as many options as possible for a character’s name to fit them precisely is important to me and Nameberry is a great starting point, even if the pronunciations/descriptions are sometimes not accurate.

To my friend, it’s a site for Americans naming their children and she’d rather Celtic names were kept away because they often lose their context (e.g. [name_f]Nóinín[/name_f] as a nickname even though no one would have it as an actual birth name). I completely see her point - the way [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] gets used on here makes me :grimacing: - but to me there’s a real difference between wanting folks to know our beautiful names exist when having general name nerd chat and how I’d respond on the girl names forum if someone came in wanting to use one on a real person without any context.

14 Likes

Separate hot take: the scroll ads that make it impossible to use the forums on mobile need to die a horrible death very soon because I am TIRED.

(Or could Nameberry just make an app and save the trouble?)

23 Likes

Also the fact that you can’t submit a reply until you close an ad

14 Likes

YES

1 Like

Have you tried an adblocker? The ads used to make the site basically unusable for me, but since I downloaded one, I haven’t seen any at all!!

also, there’s a thread on here where you can send katinka the links to ads that are particularly bothersome, and they’ll block them :blush: (it’s in the “All About Nameberry” forum I believe!)

2 Likes

[name_u]Ashley[/name_u] is such a lovely and dreamy boy’s name. I think I might even like it more for a boy than I do for a girl!

11 Likes

I wish that posts that are broader questions would be separated from [name_f]Girl[/name_f] [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names. I’m talking about the posts that are like “If you had quads…”, “Top 20 rankings”, “What would you name a girl today”. In my opinion this should be moved (perhaps by mods?) to [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names. There is a place for these types of discussions but I don’t think it is [name_f]Girl[/name_f] [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names.

also :grimacing:

Fun Fact: [name_u]George[/name_u] [name_m]Herbert[/name_m], 8th [name_u]Earl[/name_u] of Carnarvon (the guy who owns the castle that downton abbey was filmed in) has a daughter named [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] and that makes my skin crawl

6 Likes

I only like [name_u]Camille[/name_u]. I can’t stand all the other variations, especially [name_f]Mila[/name_f]!

I love how I know I can rely on you to always back me on here when it comes to that one [name_f]Bridie[/name_f] :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I did not know that but wow it really just epitomises the whole thing doesn’t it? :nauseated_face:

1 Like

@GenevieveReine not sure who to tag on here, but I’m a fan of [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f], Róise, [name_f]Nóinín[/name_f], [name_m]Oisín[/name_m], ect. in the same way as any other names or words- as in, I like the sound and/or meaning, or mostly the look of them written out, not to actually use any- but if there’s more to it than that, I hope you wouldn’t mind letting me know :thinking: I’d be really interested in learning.

1 Like