Hot Takes? 🤭

Hot Take:
Using a middle name typically associated with the opposite sex as the first names?? Literal perfection??
Ex.
[name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Lacey[/name_f] [name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_f]Hera[/name_f] [name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_u]Kitty[/name_u] [name_u]Arlo[/name_u]

9 Likes

The only reason y’all like [name_m]Rainer[/name_m] and dislike [name_m]Gunnar[/name_m] is because of the words rain and gun respectively when really none of the names are even remotely [name_f]English[/name_f].

7 Likes

But isn’t that fair? [name_m]Just[/name_m] because it has nothing to do with the meaning doesn’t mean that sound doesn’t still have that association in [name_f]English[/name_f]. Especially [name_m]Gunnar[/name_m], with all of the violence happening across the world and especially shootings in the news right now, I think it makes sense for [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers to have that association. It doesn’t mean the name itself is bad or that other people are wrong for liking it, but I don’t think it’s wrong to make that connection either. [name_m]Casper[/name_m] sounds like “caspa” which means dandruff in Spanish, is a Spanish-speaking person wrong for being put off by that?

36 Likes

^ Agreed. For example I don’t like the name [name_m]Eben[/name_m] because of its meaning in my first language - does it originate from my first language? No, I know the name itself has another meaning, but the word meaning is my own first association and that’s why I don’t like it for myself :man_shrugging:

28 Likes

I don’t like [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] Paltrow but I feel like looking back [name_f]Apple[/name_f] is not that bad.

10 Likes

You’re right that’s it’s completely fair to be put off by a name because of this. What isn’t fair, in my opinion, is that when someone who doesn’t have that association because they have a different background asks for opinions on a certain name and gets this association shoved in their face in every single reply, even if they’ve repeatedly said they don’t mind… I’ve seen it happen :wink:

20 Likes

I politely disagree, but I do see your perspective.

I’ll offer my perspective in that I think [name_f]Luna[/name_f] has become more usable because of its popularity. I’ve loved [name_f]Luna[/name_f] for well over a decade, and it used to result in a few eyebrow raises.

“Luna? That’s a (insert pet here) name!”
“Like [name_f]Looney[/name_f] Lovegood?”
“LUNAtic!”

Nowadays, I never get that - I haven’t for years. It makes the name feel much more accessible, and despite its popularity, there aren’t too many of them running around, at least where I live. In reality, names that are considered “popular” aren’t usually all that popular at all. To me, [name_f]Luna[/name_f] gives off the same feel as other popular, preppy names, such as [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], and [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

15 Likes

That’s actually a really good point, I never thought of it like that.

I do not like Ottilie - I can’t see it as a name !

7 Likes

I always think that it is a beautiful, but heavy name, one of the kind no kid might be cool enough for, except maybe a literal [name_f]Countess[/name_f]. Then I remember most Berries probably pronounce it as Ottily and I can’t get behind that one at all.

2 Likes

How do you pronounce it?

ott-EE-lee-uh

1 Like

I’ve always felt that it’s similar to [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] in Germany; not as mainstream as all the older -a ending names (like Frida) but it also doesn’t sound dated, I can absolutely see it becoming more popular in “hipster” circles in the next years.
(Personally I pronounce it with a slightly longer O sound in the beginning, though, not like [name_m]Otto[/name_m] but rather like Odelia, so o-TEEL-yuh - in [name_m]German[/name_m] that is).

2 Likes

I agree, it feels like a heavy name for a young girl.

so i’ve noticed a couple new ones made in the past couple days or so, and i just have to say:

people, we don’t need eight different ‘compromise/name a baby/make a combo’ threads. this is getting out of hand. :sweat_smile:

31 Likes

I think a sticky post with links to all these ongoing threads could be a good idea if creating a new (old) category isn’t possible at the moment. I feel like a lot of them are quite interesting and they’d get absolutely lost in the name games category but many are simply doing the same as other threads that may be a few pages down but are still in use.

10 Likes

No a “hot take” but all of the H names have been in my head for the last couple of weeks. I cant stop thinkig about [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], [name_u]Haven[/name_u], [name_u]Harley[/name_u], [name_u]Holland[/name_u], [name_u]Henry[/name_u], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] & [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] lately. I guess its just a phase because I would never ordinarily use most of these names :woman_shrugging: (huge fan of [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Holland[/name_u] & [name_u]Henry[/name_u] tho :heartpulse:)

7 Likes

I thoroughly dislike the name [name_u]Rory[/name_u]. It doesn’t sound nice, and it doesn’t feel nice to say either.

3 Likes

The french pronunciation of most boys names is superior to any other language.
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u], [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], August(e), [name_m]Louis[/name_m] - :ballot_box_with_check::ballot_box_with_check::ballot_box_with_check::ballot_box_with_check:

(The same does not apply to girls names)

2 Likes

I tend to agree!

Except [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], I MUCH prefer the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation (zhahn-vee-EV) to the [name_f]English[/name_f] (GEN-uh-veev)

1 Like