Hot Takes? 🤭

You’re right, and it’s so ridiculous. [name_u]Emerson[/name_u] is my dad’s name so I already giggle a little whenever I see a little girl named this (it’s a quite elegant and masculine name to me), but “Emersyn” is just straight up nonsense. And it seems like it’s “trendy” to spell names with as many Ys as possible recently lol.

3 Likes

I can’t agree with you on [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (I love the name!), but [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_f]Beth[/name_f] both seem outdated and unappealing to me!

2 Likes

Yeah, Emerson and Emory are both all boy to me, never got the appeal of giving them to girls.

Then again, this is coming from someone who wants to name a daughter Stellan, so, those who live in glass houses… lol :face_with_peeking_eye:

8 Likes

I agree with all of that!

1 Like

Me too! [name_f]Beth[/name_f] is okay and very sweet, but [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f] will always be in my heart.

3 Likes

I don’t like [name_u]Harper[/name_u] :grimacing: It reminds me of the phrase “harping on about something”

5 Likes

Despite [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] being so popular, they don’t feel boring to me because they remind me of the Brontes and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_m]Dickinson[/name_m]

11 Likes

This is how I say Emerson anyways, and that’s why I prefer the Y :rofl: It’s about how I say it - it’d be weird to me if I name my child Emerson but I pronounce it as “emer-sin” (it’s my accent, not an intentional mispronunciation).

4 Likes

this is a really hot take on here but :face_with_peeking_eye:[name_f][/name_f] :face_with_peeking_eye:[name_f][/name_f] :face_with_peeking_eye:

[name_f][/name_f]

I like[name_f][/name_f] [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f]

[name_f][/name_f]

and not because of the heaven backwards thing (i’m not overly religious), I just think it has a really nice sound, similar vein as [name_f]Niamh[/name_f], [name_f]Neva[/name_f], [name_f]Raya[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], ect. I don’t love the way it looks, maybe [name_f]Nevaya[/name_f] or something would be nicer? anyways, I wouldn’t give the name to a child but I don’t think she deserves the hate she gets :smiling_face_with_tear:

28 Likes

That makes so much more sense, and I can actually see the appeal with this spelling!

7 Likes

I know this isn’t much of a hot take here but I still often see it other places - the whole “can you imagine a doctor/judge/lawyer called insert a less traditional or a non-Western name here” thing. And it’s like, yeah, actually - I work with university lecturers who have PhDs and they aren’t exclusive called James or Anna. I work with people who have names like Ashleigh, Glory, Kwok, Kerri, Kaylee… names won’t stop talented and passionate people from being very successful professionally.

35 Likes

Me too! I like [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] too but for now keeping it as a gp? Because so many people hate this name and this name might get hated, be teased, exc. (Plus in Europe…)

2 Likes

I wish I knew how to pronounce it. I am sure I say it wrong.

It irks me when people voice their concern about a name becoming too popular as “it will be the next Jessica”. Hot Take: There will not be a next [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. Not within our lifetimes.
[name_f][/name_f]The internet makes it too easy to find out what names are popular. Anyone who cares to find out what the top names are, can[name_f][/name_f]. So what would have to change is that people no longer want[name_f][/name_f] to avoid common names, and I just don’t see that happening. Sure, not everyone does, but a lot more people seem to do, and the numbers speak for themselves here [name_f][/name_f]- the amount of different names listed each year increasing more than tenfold since the beginning of the records, while the top names went down from 8% of their respective sex to 1%. One in a hundred[name_f][/name_f] girls is named [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], as opposed to one in 12 girls being named [name_f]Mary[/name_f] in 1880. And while the overall number of names has slightly gone down again in the last 20 years, this trend hasn’t.

[name_f][/name_f]

Too maths; didn’t read: I don’t see most of western culture giving up on considering the freedom of being an individual its most important virtue anytime soon

24 Likes

(assuming this is in reference to Neveah)

[name_f][/name_f]

nuh [name_f][/name_f]- VAY- uh

[name_f][/name_f]

First syllable is like [name_f]Natasha[/name_f] or [name_f]Natalia[/name_f] (in my accent, anyway) Second half is similar to [name_f]Linnea[/name_f].

2 Likes

:skull: i’ve been on NB for 6 years and i’ve always said nev-ay because of the whole thing about it being heaven backwards hahaha

6 Likes

:joy:[name_f][/name_f] well I’ve known one irl [name_f]Nevaeh[/name_f] and that’s how she pronounced it, anyway. The sound is fairly similar to [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] but it’s a totally different vibe spelling & style-wise.

1 Like

i actually quite like the sound[name_f][/name_f] of cricket, but for me the problem is honestly more the sport than the bug !! it’s like naming your child baseball

18 Likes

I was going to say this - especially in the U.K., it would be like calling someone Football or Rugby! :sweat_smile:

Edit: having said that I’m pretty sure an ancestor of mine went by Auntie Hockey, but it was very much a nickname!

10 Likes

No way, another Catholic convert name-nerd from [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_u]Zealand[/name_u]? That’s so cool! :smiley:

1 Like