Hot Takes? 🤭

That’s so interesting because [name_f]Claire[/name_f] feels like one of the least sparkly names to me. It’s pretty but also feels so very beige. Whereas [name_f]Clara[/name_f] has all the character to me.
Though I think [name_u]Clare[/name_u] is a bit more interesting already, so perhaps its all about the look?

The male equivalent would be [name_u]John[/name_u] (Claire) vs [name_u]Jack[/name_u] (Clara) for me.

10 Likes

I’m so sorry to [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] but that name always reminds me of rabbits and for that reason I can’t get into it

I can’t remember if I have this association due to a behindthename comment or what, but [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is such a cow name to me :grimacing:

10 Likes

I feel this way about [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Margarita[/name_f], which are both names I still love!

(This made me think of this namenerds reddit thread about “cow names” in different languages.)

Germanic names sound better in Romance languages than their native languages. Maybe it’s because Romance languages are generally frillier and softer.

3 Likes

i’m personally not a fan of clare or claire (they’re perfectly fine! just a bit dull to me, whereas clara feels whimsical and wintery) but my hot take is that klara > clara! but both are beautiful

hot take of the day might sound a bit rude at first so give me a moment to explain myself :sweat_smile: sometimes i really don’t like the “honour name” excuse. someone will want to use the most unusable or awkward-sounding name, and because it’s an honour name it feels like no one will criticize it. think “oh yes we’re naming our baby james-jaymes lice-haver (last name) after his great grandparents xx” and you have to sit there like ma’am i really do think the sentiment is sweet, i do, but i just don’t care that it’s an honour name in this case

obviously i’m being dramatic here, but i’ve seen some wild examples over the years! and don’t get me wrong, i definitely sugarcoat some responses on the forums because i never want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but sometimes there just stops being any constructive criticism the moment the word “honour” is put into the equation :sob: (again, i’m talking about really unfortunate names/name combos, not “oh i don’t like christopher because it’s dated, i don’t care that your father’s name is christopher”, that’d be silly)

18 Likes

I agree! I much prefer [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. Also, the way Americans pronounce [name_f]Clara[/name_f] makes no sense to me as a non-American, it should be spelt [name_f]Claira[/name_f]. When it’s pronounced Clu-ruh, it falls into a sea of Zaras, [name_m]Taras[/name_m], and Caras.

1 Like

[name_m]Eh[/name_m], not personally, I’m [name_u]Josie[/name_u] all the way. Partially for it being a family name though, and I love ie endings and traditional spellings.

1 Like

off topic but this is freaking hilarious :sob:

7 Likes

This is interesting to me as an American since I’ve only ever heard [name_f]Clara[/name_f] pronounced as [name_f]Claira[/name_f].

5 Likes

Yeah it’s funny how country and accent differences can affect the pronunciation of a name! Also I much prefer the [name_f]Claira[/name_f] pronunciation, and would be able to use it in the future if it was pronounced like that, but due to bad associations with the rhyming names of the other pronunciation, I can’t :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Actually, I think how we pronounce Clara is pretty consistent, considering how we pronounce Claire/Clare… (and Tara and Kara have always been pronounced air-uh to me too!)

Tara, Sara, Kara, Arabella, Marianne, and Farah all share sounds with Clara to me. I’ve also known a Ciara and Mara who rhymed with Clara.

And I’ve known girls with the first 5, multiple of the first 3. I prefer the -ara names I pronounce like are-uh (Zara, Mara, and Cara) because they’re way more uncommon than air-uh names!

Although, Clara is my favorite straight air-uh name. Clarr-uh sounds like claw to me :confused:

3 Likes

I pronounce [name_f]Clara[/name_f] clarr-uh and I personally really like it. [name_f]Claira[/name_f] isn’t the way we pronounce most a’s where I live. It’s too harsh.

2 Likes

I’ve always heard [name_f]Clara[/name_f] pronounced as [name_f]Claira[/name_f], until I spontaneously decided a few years ago that I liked the clah-ruh pronunciation better. But now I think I might prefer the [name_f]Claira[/name_f] pronunciation again—it’s sunnier and brighter.

Where I live, we say Tuh-ruh and Car-uh :blush:
The only one on your list that rhymes with pn. [name_f]Claira[/name_f] in AUS is [name_f]Marianne[/name_f]! We say [name_u]Anne[/name_u] like Air-n, but [name_f]Annie[/name_f] like the Brit’s do. It’s so interesting seeing US pronunciations!

I’d definitely say [name_f]Clara[/name_f] with the same sound as star or car, not stare or care. I quite like hearing the claire-ah pn in an American accent though! [name_m]Just[/name_m] wouldn’t sound right if I said it in my accent :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Okay I don’t know if I’ve said this before, but Claire/Clare/Clair is like the UK’s answer to the US’s… [name_f]Nicole[/name_f], or [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], or something like that. I’m sure someone can think of a better comparison, but essentially it’s a very 70s name here. For example, I have 4 (four) lecturers named [name_f]Claire[/name_f], in the same subject, and they’re all in their 40s. In school my mother had 5 Claires in her year, and that was the “graduating class” of 1994.

Here’s the top 20 for [name_u]England[/name_u] and [name_m]Wales[/name_m] across 3 decades: [name_f]Claire[/name_f] peaks at 2 in the 70s and rapidly falls out of favour by the 90s, dropping from rank 6 in 1984 to rank 63 in 1994. Basically, tl;dr - it’s dated here! :sweat_smile:

Top [name_f]Girl[/name_f] Names 70s-90s

6 Likes

Claire/Clare is one of those weird ones for me. I have only ever met Claire/Clare’s from the 70s, 80s or 90s and most of the people around me agree that it’s a mom name, but 2016 was the most popular year for [name_f]Claire[/name_f] and for [name_u]Clare[/name_u] 2000. Like those two absolutely blend in with [name_f]Nicole[/name_f] or [name_f]Melissa[/name_f] for me but the statistics say differently I guess :woozy_face:

On another note, was I the only one when I was little that thought [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f] was the fem version of [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]?

9 Likes

for me~

clara— claara
clare/claire— clair (ending like air)
tara— taara
cara— caara

3 Likes

I only know 2 Claire’s and they’re both under 15…