How common is Lily?

How often do you hear the name [name_f]Lily[/name_f] around? I know it is number 20 or something but wanted to see if it is truly that popular among little girls’ social circles.

I personally don’t know any little girls named [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is 3 and we live in the US [name_u]South[/name_u]. I know one [name_f]Lilian[/name_f], she’s about 11 years old. Names I do hear often: [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], Charlotte/Charlie, Emma/Emily, Ella/Eleanor, Adeline/Adalyn (so many Adeline/Adalyns).

I can’t even count the number I know or have heard of (social media, distant relatives, etc). I’d need more hands. [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], [name_f]Liliana[/name_f], and even [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] are very, very common where I’m at.

It is a very pretty name still!

1 Like

I personally don’t know of any little girls named [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. I do know of a girl named [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] who is probably 12 years old now.

What part of the US are you in?

Midwestern!

I live in the UK so this may not be relevant to you, but [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is definitely the most common girl name I hear. I have met countless Lilys under 10 and both of my children have multiple Lilys in their classes at school.

Others I hear a ton: [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f].

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is just one of those names where you have to accept that you’ll likely now quite a few; whether they’re in your child’s class or after school activities, summer camp or in your friend circle - there will be Lilys.
Does not make the name unusable or any less lovely, but [name_f]Lily[/name_f] truly is popular!

I know a few lily’s but they are 14 and 15 however in 2020 0.181265% of baby girls were named lily. This means that to every 10,000 girls born in the US in 2020 about 18 of them would be named lily. However common it is I still think it a beautiful name and there may be one or two other lily’s at her school but I don’t think that matters to much
If you want any more statistics for the US:

I definitely hear Lily a lot. I think it ends up even more popular than the charts because of the alternate spelling and variants - I know people named Lily, Lilly, Lili, Lillie, Lillian, Lilian, Lilliana, etc. not to mention the Lala names like Lila and Leila that could make Lily sound even more popular. But if you love Lily, it shouldn’t stop you.

3 Likes

I’ve met quite a few little Lilys recently

1 Like

I hear it a lot, but I’m not around small children very frequently so I don’t know how common it is for little girls. For teenagers and young adults though? I hear it all the time. I’d say it truly is as popular as it seems by statistics. I’m in the Western US if it helps.

I’m raising two young children right now and we know absolutely no Lilys/Lillies personally. My son did play with one once in a public place. That’s it. I love the name!

Edited to add: I’m in the Midwest.

We know multiples of these:
Adaline/Adeline
Addi/Addy
Amelia/Emelia
Brook/Brooke/Brookie/Brooklyn/Brooklynn
Cecilia
Chloe
Claire
Delaney
Eleanor
Ella
Ellie/Elly
Elliot/Ellyott
Evelyn
Everlea/Everly
Evie
Juniper/June
Lucy
Madeline/Madelyn/Maddie/Maddy
Mary
Nora/Norah
Olivia/Liv
Quincey/Quincy
Sophia/Sophie
Stella
Sydney
Vivian/Vivien/Vivienne/Vivi
Zoë

I am in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] , and I have a lot of Lily’s in our life . I even have two cousins who both named their daughters [name_f]Lily[/name_f] .

I even know a [name_f]Lilis[/name_f]!

Weirdly, it feels fairly common, but I think that’s only because I know it’s in the Top 100. But I’ve honestly only ever met one or two, and I don’t currently know any personally. :woman_shrugging:t3:

I live in [name_u]Germany[/name_u], so this might not be relevant for you, but here the name is very common. I probably know at least five little girls with the name. It’s written [name_f]Lilly[/name_f] here though.

Thought [name_f]Lily[/name_f] vs [name_f]Susan[/name_f] would be an interesting comparison since [name_f]Susan[/name_f] means lily and was very popular.

3 Likes

I know A LOT of Lily’s. The majority of the baby girls I know born in 2021 were named [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. I think its cut, but is SUPER common where I live.

Agree with the previous posters about the variations making it more common.
Absolutely lovely name so I can absolutely see why it’s popular but if that bothers you I would find an alternative.
I would say it’s been very common for the past 15 years or so?
I think it’s more of that “playground popularity” where you hear it so much because it’s short for So many names and variants and the official [name_f]Lily[/name_f] ranking doesn’t take that into account.

I think a similar name is Ella/Ellie or [name_f]Addie[/name_f] where there may not be a ton of girls with that name but it ends up that it’s short for so many variants.

However, if you love it you should use it:)

In my immediate circle I don’t know anyone named [name_f]Lily[/name_f] (young or older)