How could I get to Lilou as a nn?

[name]Hi[/name] - I have heard in a couple of places that [name]Lilou[/name] is a popular name/nn in [name]France[/name]. I think it is adorable. I love nn, but not as first names. I tend towards long or multi-syllable names.

So what I am wondering is what combos would create [name]Lilou[/name]? Think [name]Lilly[/name] [name]Louise[/name] … “Li” - “[name]Lou[/name]”.

[name]Edit[/name]: I just realized that [name]Lilly[/name] isn’t really the right sound either … I think [name]Lilou[/name] is "[name]Lee[/name]"lou and [name]Lilly[/name] is “lie” lou … maybe this idea is too hard …

My favorite I have come up with is [name]Elena[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] … but I realize I am faking the “Li” part because [name]Elena[/name] is really “[name]El[/name]” or “[name]Lay[/name]”. So I am hopeful for something better.

Thank you for your ideas … I am not pregnant yet, but have always had a running list … I am for sure a name nerd.

I think any of the [name]Lil[/name] names can get you [name]Lilou[/name]. I love it too (nickname only) and I would use it as a nickname for [name]Lilia[/name], but since you like long names [name]Lilianna[/name] would work.

To my ears, [name]Lily[/name] [name]Louise[/name] is a little too much of a mouthful - [name]Liliana[/name] [name]Louise[/name] has better flow, in my opinion, and would still give you [name]Lilou[/name]. I think any name starting with ‘Li’ could be used to give [name]Lilou[/name], regardless of the sound of the ‘Li’ in the name, as the sound would change anyway when coupled with ‘-lou’, if you see what I mean.

Other ideas :
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Lianne[/name]/a
[name]Libra[/name]
[name]Liberty[/name]
[name]Liese[/name]/a
[name]Liesbeth[/name] (perhaps [name]Elizabeth[/name], too?)
[name]Lieselotte[/name]
[name]Liesel[/name]
[name]Lisa[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Lilias[/name]
[name]Lilith[/name]
[name]Linda[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Lindsey[/name]
[name]Lionore[/name]/a
[name]Liticia[/name]
[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Livinia[/name]

‘[name]Lou[/name]’ middle names :
[name]Lou[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]/a
[name]Alouette[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Heloise[/name].

Good luck!

I think having a “lih” sound in the first name instead of “lee” will still work.

[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name] [name]Louise[/name]
[name]Amelie[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name] [name]Lucienne[/name]
[name]Everly[/name] [name]Lou[/name]
[name]Marilee[/name] [name]Lou[/name]
[name]Ottiline[/name] [name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]

Other lih/lee options:
[name]Liana[/name]
[name]Alina[/name]
[name]Eveline[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Eulalie[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name] (if lee-oh-nora instead of lay-oh-nora)
[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Lilibeth[/name]
[name]Lillith[/name]
[name]Leora[/name]
[name]Leota[/name]
[name]Liesel[/name]
[name]Lindy[/name]

Options for lou:
[name]Lucretia[/name]
[name]Louella[/name]
[name]Luanne[/name]
[name]Bluebell[/name]
[name]Blue[/name]
[name]Lulu[/name]
[name]Lucette[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Lupe[/name]
[name]Tallula[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Luzia[/name]

Oh, I forgot [name]Leandra[/name], my cousins name. :slight_smile: And then if you’re really feeling exotic, you could use [name]Angelou[/name] as another lou possibility.

What about [name]Lily[/name] [name]Malou[/name]?!?

What about a name that ends in the “lee” sound…
like [name]Natalie[/name], [name]Emily[/name], etc.

[name]Lillian[/name], [name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lourdes[/name]
[name]Luella[/name] - my favorite with [name]Lilou[/name] as a nn.
[name]Tallulah[/name]

I think you could use [name]Lilou[/name] as a nn for any of the above and also for more names that I haven’t thought of.

Before I read any replies [name]Lilliana[/name] was the first name that came to my mind. [name]Love[/name] that nn!

lilian louanne/a

What about [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Louise[/name]? I don’t think the "Li’ necessarily has to be at the beginning of the name.

In [name]France[/name], [name]Lilou[/name] is a nn for [name]Liliane[/name], and I think that’s a beautiful name. I prefer it to the two name Li + [name]Lou[/name] approach in this case.

I adore the suggestions of [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Louise[/name] and [name]Liliane[/name]!

Thanks for your ideas!

[name]How[/name] is [name]Liliane[/name] pronounced in [name]France[/name] … like “[name]Lily[/name] [name]Anne[/name]”?

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Elizabeth[/name] … and [name]Eliza[/name] … but I foolishly named my dog [name]Elizabeth[/name], so now I can’t use it on a child. :frowning:

I also [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Aurelia[/name] … but live in Chicago and [name]Aurelio[/name]'s pizza ruins the name for my husband.

So … for the Li part, my favorites are [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Lindsey[/name], [name]Marilee[/name] (my mom’s name is [name]Mary[/name]), and [name]Alina[/name]. for the [name]Lou[/name] part, my favorite is still [name]Lucia[/name], but I also like the suggestions of [name]Louella[/name] and [name]Lucienne[/name].

Still have time to decide though :slight_smile:

What about [name]Alina[/name] [name]Luna[/name]…

I don’t speak French (sadly!) but Wikipedia has it as “[name]Lee[/name]-lee-an”. The actress [name]Leelee[/name] Sobieski’s real name is [name]Liliane[/name], so to get [name]Leelee[/name] I think it’s got the longer ee sound rather than the first short i in [name]Lily[/name].

Another option of course is the English version, [name]Lilian[/name], which could easily still use the French nickname. Although I do love the French more every time I look at it!