How did you choose your boys name?

Hubs and I have a girls name picked out. That was a breeze. Finding a boys name has not been the same. We have yet to see a name we both love. There are some likes, but none of them feel quite right. If you have a son, how did you decide on his name? Did you choose a family name, or throw all your choices in a hat and pick one? Any advice would be appreciated!

[name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] came to us almost naturally. My husband is fascinated about the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] empire and strategy so it came down to choosing between our favorite [name_m]Roman[/name_m] names: [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] ([name_m]Marcus[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] was the actual emperor’s name) and [name_m]Julian[/name_m] (after [name_m]Julius[/name_m] [name_m]Caesar[/name_m]). Once we saw him for the first time with his golden hair sticking up, we knew he was an [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m].

My husband and his ex chose [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] for their son because she had a grandfather named [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] she wanted to homage and my husband is huge on “fancy, ancient names”.

That’s pretty cool! Maybe we’ll have to discuss our interests and see what we find from there.

It’s funny because I am the exact opposite: Have my boy name down pat, no idea for girls. I don’t have kids yet, but my fiance and I have our boy name picked out and have had it picked out for years. I have been obsessed with [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] and [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] (and to an extension The Beatles) since I was like eight or nine. In high school and even into college, my love of [name_m]Ernest[/name_m] [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m] drove me to study English Literature more. I decided to name my son [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m]. I told my FI pretty early on that it was almost a deal breaker if he didn’t like the name, but luckily he does :slight_smile: