How did your parents come up with your name?

About 2 months ago, I made a post asking parents how they came up with their children’s name (here is the link if you’re curious) this time, I want to ask you how your parents came up with your name. As for me, it is a simple story. From what I heard, I believe my father liked it because of the Mexican actress [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] Castro and my mother just liked my name. As for my middle name [name_u]Cadence[/name_u], it was a name my mom liked and the flow of it went nicely.

I’m named after a family member whose middle + surname were [name_u]Anne[/name_u] + [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] mum put them together and made [name_f]Leanne[/name_f]!

1 Like

I was originally gonna be a [name_u]Genesis[/name_u], 1) because they just liked the name and 2) I was their first kid and [name_u]Genesis[/name_u] is the first book of the Bible. But then a family member suggested my name and they liked it better. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name they named after a close friend of theirs.

1 Like

They used to read the dictionary for fun & came across it there.

6 Likes

My parents visited their friends house and there were cards on the mantle piece. They saw a card from my name and decided that they liked the name but they added a extra letter at the end to make the name more symmetrical.

1 Like

My parents had different naming styles so they took a vote and it turned out they both liked my name.
[name_f]My[/name_f] dad liked cars, so my middle name was based off of a sports car brand, [name_u]Lotus[/name_u] [name_f]Elise[/name_f].

1 Like

I was named after [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Ingalls [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]! I was actually going to be named [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] until days before I was born. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom told me she was watching the [name_m]Little[/name_m] House on the [name_u]Prairie[/name_u] and one of the parents shouted “LAURA!” and that was the moment she knew it was supposed to be my name :joy:

Oh, and they had already told family that my name was going to be [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and forgot to tell them about the change until after I was born, so I guess they originally got a lot of stuff that said [name_f]Michelle[/name_f].

3 Likes

My mom chose it, and it’s pretty simple: fn is after her closest brother (she has several), and my mn is the mn of her only sister. :slight_smile:

1 Like

so my mom watched the movie splash (80’s) with tom hanks and daryl hannah and there’s this scene when she is walking around the streets of new york butt naked and when someone asks her her name she flips her thick blonde hair and goes “madison” and from then she knew she’d name her 2nd daughter madison and her first born [name_f]Mariah[/name_f] after [name_f]Mariah[/name_f] [name_u]Carey[/name_u]

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] parents knew a family from church who had a daughter with the name, and they really liked it and thought it went well with my brothers’ names. That’s about it. Oh, and I have my mom’s middle name.

1 Like

My mom named me after her friends, and unintentionally named me after a family member (she’s adopted)

1 Like

My mom’s been in love with [name_m]Paul[/name_m] McCartney longer than she’s known my dad :rofl: So her daughter was always going to be Míchëlle (from the song by the same name)

2 Likes

My dad chose my first name. I don’t know why but I think it’s just because he liked it (and people could pronounce it)

My mum chose my middle name which is inspired by the month I was born in

1 Like

My parents named me based on their heritage. Then I renamed myself based on (for my first name) the nickname I wanted, which is [name_m]Jack[/name_m], and (for my middle name) a nod to my family heritage (Irish— [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], and [name_u]James[/name_u] is a family name so it felt like a good nod to that as well).

1 Like

My mom heard my name on a TV show when she was like 12 and knew that would be her first daughter’s name. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents changed the spelling because they read somewhere that it was the Gaelic spelling and they figured they were more Gaelic than Hebrew (then turned around and gave my sisters Hebrew names…)

2 Likes

My mom knew someone from middle or high school with the name. I don’t like my name and I’m not sure if I would like it more if it was more meaningful. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My 7 yr old brother named me after a girl he had a crush on in his class LOL :joy:
[name_f]My[/name_f] parents had names picked out but nothing they liked suited me once I was born, so they let my brother choose something. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is chosen after a mountain range my dad loved.

5 Likes

My mum’s favourite name was always [name_f]Grace[/name_f], there was never any question what my name would be! [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name, [name_f]Gillian[/name_f], is just my grandmother’s name, they were fond of honours!

1 Like

How did they decide your sister’s name, then?! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah… She actually had to go searching for baby names for my sister :grin:!

1 Like